Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-08-2020, 12:03 AM

Could be wrong, but by setting back the shoulder as much as you are doing, you are actually also setting the neck back, so you would not need to trim as often. Measure some before shooting, then after, then after you resize and see if that is not the case..
Old 06-08-2020, 12:31 AM

Of course the brass will be longer after shooting, setting it back for optimum functionality in the AR means longer after firing. Point is after sizing there is little to almost no difference length from the previous sizing. And also find your chamber length so you don't trim under by more than 0.010. I run brass 0.005 -0.0075 under chamber length, would run tighter if my guns weren't hunting rifles. Small base dies and undersized die necks and poor lube= more trimming.
Old 06-08-2020, 03:51 AM

The brass that was longer than others. Brass had been full length sized and primed . The brass had several times reloaded . Am i better off to just neck size? The brass will last longer wont it? I had been waiting to order a Lyman case trimmer pilot #20. Every place I looked shipping was high. I got one thru midsouth 3.00 for shipping. Went got the Lyman case trimmer box out. I opened up it up there set a new pilot #20 . Dont remember buying one.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:43 PM

I only neck size, or partial FL sizing only enough neck to hold the bullet securely.
The length the neck is sized, depends on the ctg. and it's use. Big game hunting rifle ctgs. get all or almost all of the neck sized, but without touching the shoulder.
Varmint rifles, 1/2 the neck is common for me, usually giving an enlargement between the sized portion and the start of the shoulder. This may or may not help with
ctg. alignment in the chamber as suggested by some.
This may be a reason my CZ Hornets have been so accurate as well. Or maybe it's just because they were CZ's & I used a case full of Lil'Gun.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:43 PM

I am using lee 204 collet (think is the name). I have a rcbs or redding neck die somewhere. Before I got the collet die. I would use a decapping die to get the primer out. Then set my full length die so it just neck sided.