Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-12-2020, 04:32 AM

Default Using a suppressor on a 17AH

I was doing an OCW test of my Cooper today using a suppressor. When cleaning afterwards I was shocked by the amount of powder fouling that took numerous Carbon Tech and dry patches to clean it out

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I am not sure how this might affect accuracy when shooting long strings. I also noticed that the barrel just behind the suppressor was hotter than the section just forward of the receiver.

I am using Hbn coated bullets with the expectation of, perhaps, going 300 rounds before cleaning. That may not be possible with the suppressor on the gun.

Would appreciate hearing about your experiences.

Thanks,

Chuck
Old 06-12-2020, 01:59 PM

Not surprising, think of how a muffler or convertor builds up debris/soot on a engine.
You cans on a firearm are going to do the same. Follow instructions on cleaning from the maker, but more often with the smaller calibers.
Other than cutting down on some noise, why use a can on some of the small calibers like the Hornet anyway ?
Old 06-12-2020, 04:57 PM

Isn't the point of a can to cut noise regardless of what it's put on? I'm hoping a guy can get more shots before the dogs go down. Especially towns that get shot a lot.

Aaron
Old 06-12-2020, 05:43 PM

Part of the equation for sure, but the Hornet does not make much noise and in my pivots the squeeks don't really take that much note of the bark, just keep coming back up.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:57 PM

Default Suppressor on 17AH

Thanks for the replies. I did want to prevent the sage rats or prairie dogs quickly going down out to 150-200 yds when starting to shoot.

At what point does the powder build up in the 17 cal affect accuracy?

When I pull out my next one (222) they go down out to 200 yds after only a few shots. Wish I had pivots to shoot on. Many times it is an open field.

Chuck
Old 06-12-2020, 06:28 PM
Supporting Member

For those of us who have shot PD's in Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, eastern Colorado, and even in the Texas Panhandle, the wind typically cancels all other issues when it comes to noise. For me, having a suppressor on a PD rifle is not even a consideration a far as the targets are concerned. If the town has been shot a lot, they disappear pretty quickly when you get out of the vehicle and move around and well before you've fired any shots. If it hasn't been shot a great deal, targets continue to pop up at pretty short intervals no matter how loud a specific rifle might be.

As Bill mentioned, with mild report rounds like the 17 AH and 17 HH, to me a suppressor is just something to make the rifle more unmanageable for handling (read as being a liability and not an asset). And as Bill stated, its a collector for barrel fouling near the muzzle. I guess I'll be "inconsiderate of others" as some rabid suppressor fans like to state as being a primary reason for having one, and I'll make a bit of noise when shooting pd's. Noise that will likely be mostly cancelled by other outside environmental issues like the wind itself.

I've even been known to fire a few rounds at PD's with large bore rifles and the sound doesn't travel very far in the surrounding environment unless you're maybe shooting pd's or sqeaks off the back porch of someone's house.... I suppose if you're doing that that maybe people in the house might have to turn the volume up on Oprah to listen closely to what she has to say if you're not using a suppressor.

In truth, being old and set in my ways, I don't even consider a suppressor as being a real need for a large bore hunting rifle where I hunt. I've worn electronic muffs for years even while hunting so the muzzle noise doesn't affect me. Maybe if someone over the hill complains about the noise, we'll sit down and talk. So far its never been an issue.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 06-12-2020, 06:29 PM

[quote=
When I pull out my next one (222) they go down out to 200 yds after only a few shots. Wish I had pivots to shoot on. Many times it is an open field.

Chuck[/QUOTE]

I shoot some open fields also, in some areas, not just the alfalfa pivots. They are all fun and offer squeeks some acrobatic lessons. Bill K
Old 06-12-2020, 11:43 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
For those of us who have shot PD's in Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, eastern Colorado, and even in the Texas Panhandle, the wind typically cancels all other issues when it comes to noise. For me, having a suppressor on a PD rifle is not even a consideration a far as the targets are concerned. If the town has been shot a lot, they disappear pretty quickly when you get out of the vehicle and move around and well before you've fired any shots. If it hasn't been shot a great deal, targets continue to pop up at pretty short intervals no matter how loud a specific rifle might be.

As Bill mentioned, with mild report rounds like the 17 AH and 17 HH, to me a suppressor is just something to make the rifle more unmanageable for handling (read as being a liability and not an asset). And as Bill stated, its a collector for barrel fouling near the muzzle. I guess I'll be "inconsiderate of others" as some rabid suppressor fans like to state as being a primary reason for having one, and I'll make a bit of noise when shooting pd's. Noise that will likely be mostly cancelled by other outside environmental issues like the wind itself.

I've even been known to fire a few rounds at PD's with large bore rifles and the sound doesn't travel very far in the surrounding environment unless you're maybe shooting pd's or sqeaks off the back porch of someone's house.... I suppose if you're doing that that maybe people in the house might have to turn the volume up on Oprah to listen closely to what she has to say if you're not using a suppressor.

In truth, being old and set in my ways, I don't even consider a suppressor as being a real need for a large bore hunting rifle where I hunt. I've worn electronic muffs for years even while hunting so the muzzle noise doesn't affect me. Maybe if someone over the hill complains about the noise, we'll sit down and talk. So far its never been an issue.

JMO - BCB
I grew up 1/4 mile from a dogtown. After coming back to shoot 10 years or so ago, when shooting with a .223, I got 2-3 shots before they all went down and would not pop up. Setting in the same place shooting a .22H i got 10-15 shots, and even then their would be dogs up 350yds and out. I would start shooting close and work my way out. Noise can have a big impact on a dogtown. Oh how I wish that the .17HMR or WSM was out back in my youth!
Old 06-13-2020, 02:37 AM

Default Using a suppressor

Moorepower:

Some of my shooting experiences mirror yours, especially on open fields with little cover. My ideal condition for sage rats or PDs is on an alfalfa pivot with about 2-4 inches of growth. Hard for me to make that happen these days.

I appreciate that a strong 90 degree wind helps to mask the sound. I also may choose not use a suppressor, even after the expense and hassle of obtaining one. I also have muzzle brakes to decrease felt recoil that I could use.

However, I still haven't heard from anyone about the issue of a large build up of powder fouling. Does it degrade accuracy?

Chuck
Old 06-13-2020, 01:19 PM

Silver Fox uses a suppressor on his rifles, a 17 Remington included. Perhaps he will chime in when he sees this or PM him with your question. I don't remember him complaining on loss of accuracy on his rifles.
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas