Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-21-2022, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17VLD View Post
The Craig brass fits fine,mag functions well.He had both the tubular and clip style magazine rifles.That was before Centurion made rimfire ammo.Now I might just leave the rifles as original.Now if I had a spare rifle....I might just
invest in the process,dies ,brass,components,etc.

Matt
I know what you mean. I am just considering options down the road. I have enough ammo to hunt groundhogs and turkey for the foreseeable future.
Old 09-21-2022, 04:54 PM

The 5mm Craig go to guy is Lowell Kenney. He used to live not far from me. He moved to Wyoming a few years ago. lkenney@eagleviewarms.com
Old 09-27-2022, 11:13 PM

I managed to get out again and shoot some more groundhogs. The first hog was little and the grass is getting taller again. It is really hard to see when you walk-up on it. It is to the right of the rifle.

Here it is with me standing over it.

Here is a better look at it.

The bullet performed well.

Old 09-27-2022, 11:13 PM

I had one more shot that day and it was a huge groundhog with only its head and shoulders out of a huge hole in the field. I shot and it went down. I found some blood on the vegetation, but I couldn't see him in the hole. I am sure it was a mortal wound, but he got back in the hole.

This 591 5mm Mag is becoming a really fun rifle to carry and use in the field.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:32 AM

Default Very happy..

Glad to see you using this rifle to hunt with.Remington was really onto something here,imagine if the made a 541T or similar heavy barrel in 5mm?

Matt
Old 09-28-2022, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17VLD View Post
Glad to see you using this rifle to hunt with.Remington was really onto something here,imagine if the made a 541T or similar heavy barrel in 5mm?

Matt
They dropped the ball on another great cartridge. I shot some really good groups with this rifle at 100 yards. A 541T would tighten those up even more. I will try and get a picture posted of the target I shot soon.
Old 09-28-2022, 05:50 PM

I have said many times that if the 541/580/590 and 788 series had been completed with a 6XX series that were sized to the Hornet and Bee it would probably be the best economical rifle of that genre ever marketed. The 788 handles rimed cartridges well so other than "right sizing" the action it would not have been hard to do.
Old 09-28-2022, 06:04 PM

Last year I found that the 5MM Craig is an ideal fall turkey rifle. Quiet, doesn't damage the meat if shot right and extends the range that you can shoot at. I haven't had much luck calling turkeys in the call and in these open prairies and hay fields, it is mighty tough to get a turkey within 40 yards. In Wyoming we can use rifle for fall turkeys, so I dug out my 591 with the 19-inch fat barrel and waited my time for a large flock to appear in a shootable location. The day and time came almost at the end of the season. I use the aiming point of where the wing attaches to the body. I shot the first one with that method and then feeling cocky I missed two head shot, guess I am not Sgt. Alvin York. I shot the other turkey just before the flock moved onto land that I could not shoot on. I use 30 grain Berger bullets and 5.2 grains of Accurate #9. I single load because of bullet length but found a foam five-hole screw bit holder with double sided tape at the auto parts store. It works well for holding the 5mm Craig cartridges handy.

Thunder thinks this is the very best way to spend an afternoon.

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON

Last edited by Eagle_view; 09-28-2022 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-28-2022, 06:26 PM

Those screw bit holders are cheap and work super well, for a shell holder. And most of the time, they hold enough, for what is needed.
Old 09-28-2022, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle_view View Post
Last year I found that the 5MM Craig is an ideal fall turkey rifle. Quiet, doesn't damage the meat if shot right and extends the range that you can shoot at. I haven't had much luck calling turkeys in the call and in these open prairies and hay fields, it is mighty tough to get a turkey within 40 yards. In Wyoming we can use rifle for fall turkeys, so I dug out my 591 with the 19-inch fat barrel and waited my time for a large flock to appear in a shootable location. The day and time came almost at the end of the season. I use the aiming point of where the wing attaches to the body. I shot the first one with that method and then feeling cocky I missed two head shot, guess I am not Sgt. Alvin York. I shot the other turkey just before the flock moved onto land that I could not shoot on. I use 30 grain Berger bullets and 5.2 grains of Accurate #9. I single load because of bullet length but found a foam five-hole screw bit holder with double sided tape at the auto parts store. It works well for holding the 5mm Craig cartridges handy.

Thunder thinks this is the very best way to spend an afternoon.
Cool set-up! Is the 5mm Craig faster than the 5mm Rem Mag? What would you consider your max distance on a turkey with that combination?