Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-06-2011, 03:25 PM

Default Powder batch differences

Dont know how to put this in the sticky post ???
Ruger 77/22H fitted with Pacnor 17A/H barrel

Case R&P primer Cci400 20gr bullet and Vhit N120 powder.

First batch of powder 10.8grns Vel 3,637ft/sec

Second batch 11.4grns Vel 3,675ft/sec

Third batch 11.0grns Vel 3,660ft/sec.

We have all read in other posts that 0.2grns can make a safe load blow up a small case gun so the 0.6grns extra in the second batch could have put me in orbit if i had used 11.4grns of the first batch.
I am one carefull re-loader now and always start my charges of this powder in this gun at 10grns and work up very slowly.
My gun will take bigger loads than the ones i use but lose out on accuracy and rabbits are very happy when a bullet misses them at 300ft/sec faster than the one that hits them.
Wally
Old 12-06-2011, 04:17 PM

Years ago I worked up a 22-250 load with H-380 & found that 36.5 grains was the max in my rifle & gave about 3700 fps when the book said 39 grains. Got a bottle of powder from a different lot and discovered 36.5 grains was only giving me 3350 fps. I could load 39 grains with the new lot. Scary stuff. Powder makers say it is extremely difficult to maintain consistency from lot to lot & that they make sure it is "below" the burning rate tolerance for that powder to avoid safety issues. YEAH! And I didn't have sexual relations with that woman either!!! When I find a load that works good I try to buy a keg or 2 of the powder with the same lot #'s.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:49 PM

Default sticky

[quote=wally bennett;121105]Dont know how to put this in the sticky post ???

Wally,
Just click on the sticky you want to post in, then post as normal. You've done it before. KB.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Default Or ask a moderator or administrator

Works every time.

Alex
Old 12-07-2011, 04:43 AM
Supporting Member

Just ran out of a jug of H4198 for my 17fb.
Filled my powder measure with a new jug, different lot. I always weigh every charge, and all of a sudden I had to trickle in about .3gr more to balance the scale.
Only had about 20cases to fill, and beings it's only 15.6gr under 25gr Vmax.
I hope I'm OK !
Plan to shoot these and check primers.
I know a cronograph is what I need, but Santa's pretty weighed down for delivery to my chimney this year !
Jim
Old 12-07-2011, 11:12 AM

[quote=kenbro;121135]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally bennett View Post
Dont know how to put this in the sticky post ???

Wally,
Just click on the sticky you want to post in, then post as normal. You've done it before. KB.
Hi Ken.
I have slept a lot since i put it in before and i am now working with one poor eye cause my best one is slowly filling with blood and they tell me i have to wait for a month or so to see if it stops on its own before it can be emptied of vitrl and lazered and of course i am as old as you so have seniour moments
Wally
Old 02-12-2012, 05:31 PM

Powder is what they call hygroscopic, meaning it can absorb and retain moisture. I have found that powder left in my powder measure can actually dry out or gain weigh. I have actually weighed out a load on my Sartorius GD503 then reweighed the same load a few days latter and found it has changed in weight depending on the humidity differences at the time. I know most of you are saying it was just variations in the digital scale. But the Sartorius GD503 is a lab grade scale that the federal government will recognize as “Legal for Trade” in precious stones or any other material. This digital scales can weigh down to a single kernel of powder and I have found it to be deadly accurate and never varies. Since using the GD503 my extreme spreads are regularly in the single digits. I have since gotten rid of all the other scales I have tried over the years. This accuracy really isn’t necessary when shooting 100 or 300 yards or when you go to the range, take a few shots and rezero, but if you want to go out and have that first shot count in the field or in a long range match I have to believe it is. No my prairie dog loads come off my Dillon and don’t each get weighed. My match and hunting ammo on the other hand all get weighed.
AJ
Old 02-13-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJx View Post
Powder is what they call hygroscopic, meaning it can absorb and retain moisture. I have found that powder left in my powder measure can actually dry out or gain weigh. I have actually weighed out a load on my Sartorius GD503 then reweighed the same load a few days latter and found it has changed in weight depending on the humidity differences at the time. I know most of you are saying it was just variations in the digital scale. But the Sartorius GD503 is a lab grade scale that the federal government will recognize as “Legal for Trade” in precious stones or any other material. This digital scales can weigh down to a single kernel of powder and I have found it to be deadly accurate and never varies. Since using the GD503 my extreme spreads are regularly in the single digits. I have since gotten rid of all the other scales I have tried over the years. This accuracy really isn’t necessary when shooting 100 or 300 yards or when you go to the range, take a few shots and rezero, but if you want to go out and have that first shot count in the field or in a long range match I have to believe it is. No my prairie dog loads come off my Dillon and don’t each get weighed. My match and hunting ammo on the other hand all get weighed.
AJ
Nice one AJ.
Neve thought about that my self but just a prompt like your post and it rings a big bell.

Another thought on powder measures that use a volume drum for consistant loads, I noticed that as the powder hopper got lower in use my weight got higherb so i used to weigh and adjust every 5th load.
At the time i was trying different powders to look for the best so i used to empty the hopper into its origional container after every loading session

I have now settled on Vhit N120 as my only powder so i leave the powder in the hopper on the measure at all times with the top on of course.
Because the powder stays in it must compact a little and giver a better and even density so the volume/weight does not alter so even though i zero the scale before every session and weigh the first few loads i dont need to adjust the measure so i usualy load about 15 rounds between weighing charges.
Note my charge comes up to the base of the neck on unformed cases to the shoulder on formed cases and I DO visualy check each load
Hand loading is a lottery and hopefully we all win
Wally
Old 10-30-2013, 02:00 AM

Default 17 ah

Wally:

I have a Sako L461 action in an H&R stock (little skinny sucker) with a custom barrel. Bought it used from a guy that had loaded around 350 custom 20 gr bullets and used 4227 or 1680 powders. Vitavouri powders were not around at the time (early to mid 90's. He found the accuracy node around 3300 fps which seems very slow. I suspect the bullets are more for match shooting rather than varmint, but have not tested them on a critter yet, but will do so next summer.

Did you try these powders before settling on N 120? Also the best accuracy is around 0.5 MOA which seems to be the best I can get out of .17 calibers even with custom barrels. Would be great to get 3600+ fps WITH accuracy. What average size groups do you get with your Ruger?

Chuck
Old 11-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA
Default re:17AH loads

Chuck...put your question in the load section of the forum.

I think you will find great accuracy around 3650 with a 20 grain bullet in the 17ah. What it will to get there in your gun, I don't know...pressure builds fast in these little cases(the point of the original post) so move up slowly, and watch for pressure signs. I wouldn't move up in more than .1 grain increments with whatever powder you happen to have on hand. I chronograph will be a huge asset, if you don't have one already.

Larry

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office