Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2017, 12:42 PM
Supporting Member

Default Golden bullet "detonation"

Guys,

I had a Remington golden bullet detonation that blew the magazine apart on my Winchester model 75 target rifle while on this years PD shoot. The lot # on this ammo is: A01LC1236. You may want to refrain from shooting any of this lot# until I hear back from Remington. I talked to their rep and he took down all the info and informed me I would hear from them in 4-6 weeks. One might think they would be a bit more expedient with a case such as this. Luckily I had my shooting glasses on and no injury was sustained but I did get a face full of blowback. The cartridge had a complete "head-rim" separation and the bullet was only about four inches into the rifling and came out very easily. I saved all the "evidence" and did not try to remove the remaining parts of the magazine out of the mag well. I will keep you posted as to how big green handles it as far as rifle-ammo replacement.

Aaron
Old 06-02-2017, 03:25 PM

YIKES incredible pressure for such a little case. I will check mine. I've only fired a few, testing in my Dad's M60 Cooey. They shot quite well at 30 meters.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:18 PM
Supporting Member

There was a fellow on Alberta Outdoors having the exact same problem. I am going to post the batch number for him and see if they are the same.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:17 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
There was a fellow on Alberta Outdoors having the exact same problem. I am going to post the batch number for him and see if they are the same.
Dean,

Please let me know of his response and if he also has contacted Remington. When I asked the rep if anyone else had issues, his reply was no.........

Tough to tell, but I have a sneaking suspicion it was an over load of priming compound. I don't know if you could get enough powder in that casing to blow things apart.

Aaron
Old 06-02-2017, 07:47 PM
Supporting Member

Here is what he posted. It actually sound to me like the base separated from the case without ever being fired. That would easily explain why you got do much damage. If the base separated and the round fired there is nothing keeping the gas from blowing into the mag area. Will let you know if he posts additional info from what I told him about your experience.

Quote:
#1 Report Post
Old 05-31-2017, 07:07 PM

Question Defective .22lr ammo or rifle issue?
So, out shooting gophers in the heat this afternoon when I experienced an obvious misfire. I cycled the action and the cartridge rim, now a brass disc, fell out. The cartridge case, now a brass tube, was left stuck in the throat of the receiver.

This is the second time this has occurred this season. Same gun, same ammo.

Rifle in question is a Remington 597 semi-auto with thousands of rounds fired.

Ammo in question is Remington .22lr Golden bullets.

Do I have an ammo problem or is it maybe time to retire my rifle for safety reasons?

-Willy
Old 06-02-2017, 07:56 PM
Supporting Member

Years ago, I had a clip/7 round magazine fed Remington Model 66 that my oldest son was shooting....maybe age 11-12 at the time. A round literally blew the side of the rifle off and ruined the magazine and locked the bolt back with the back of the cartridge stuck to the bolt face. Luckily even back then he was wearing shooting glasses and no harm came to him other than to his pride and calm demeanor..... Dad's too as the sound was definitely not anything like a 22 LR round going off normally.

I called Remington and told them what happened to the rifle that my son was shooting and the person I talked with seemed a bit stand-offish and told me that they would not look at the issue if I had used some other brand of ammo other than Remington in the gun. I told them that it was a Remington Golden Bullet round that had exploded and that the back of the cartridge was still in the gun attached firmly to the bolt face.

When he heard that his entire attitude changed to one of "what can we do to help, we are sorry, and please send the rifle to us immediately." About two weeks later after they received the rifle, et al, I received an entirely new Model 66 rifle from Remington. I never had another issue with it and my son claimed it years ago while still living at home.

To put this into a time perspective, yesterday, June 1, he celebrated his 44th birthday.....

I hope they stand by their product and take care of you.

Edited to add: I looked back through my old notes and the clip fed "Model 66" was actually a Model 77.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 06-02-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:35 PM

Same thing happened to me with a Savage 17 HMR and CCI ammo. I too was wearing eye protection, and only ended up with what I think was some primer residue embedded in my palm. CCI wanted the ammo and Savage wanted the gun for inspection. Gun was damaged to the point CCI bought me a new one from Savage and sent me 4 boxes of replacement ammo.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:08 PM

My experience with recent (past two years) lots of Golden Bullets has been dismal. Accuracy not completely terrible but the failures to chamber and/or fire are at ~15% in a Marlin 122 single shot. The stuff I have is useless in a mag fed rifle. Remington really dropped the ball here. Would like to get some Thunderbolts which in old lots shoot very well in several rifles but I think I'll just stick with CCI and SK for the near future.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:33 PM
Supporting Member

I've been shooting the Remington Golden Bullet stuff for years and that is the only issue of any kind I've had. As a matter of fact, I shot up a 500 round brick last weekend in three different semi-auto handguns.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 06-03-2017, 05:15 PM

Mine (8,400 rounds of it in 1,400 round white plastic cans) is a "G847etc", number. Marked on the can - "NEW and IMPROVED" - lol.