Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-14-2019, 03:41 PM
Supporting Member

A couple more pics of the Ruana knife.......

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 10-14-2019, 05:06 PM
Supporting Member

A few years after I got outta the Corps and had kicked around a bit I moved to Missoula Montana back in the real early 70's. At that time if you had a nice Bull Elk rack and drove it out to Bonner Rudy Ruana would swap ya a knife for it. I got a couple that way but as the folding knives with lock blades got better and people started paying more money then those Ruana's were worth to me I sold em all, sure wish now I hadn't. They don't do it any more either I've heard and I'm a meat hunter anyway so it doesn't matter any more. Nice piece of Montana history those Ruana's. Bonner is just a ways east outta Missoula on the Blackfoot river right near East Missoula.
I worked with an ole boy that had grown up around there and was good friends with Norman MacLean and his brother Paul. Norman was the one that wrote , "A River Runs Through It" when it was Published in 1976 Ole Bill give me a copy. As usual, it's a better book than movie even though the movie was good.
Enough outta me. Real nice knives there!
Old 10-14-2019, 05:31 PM
Supporting Member

I have a niece who lives east of Missoula and about 10 minutes from the current Ruana production facility.

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:58 PM
Supporting Member

I lived outside of Clinton 22 miles east of Missoula, 55 acres with the Clark Fork river as our back boundary. 17 Arabian horses and a Psycho-Horse-Lady as a wife . She got it all and I got my freedom in 1979, I always figured I got the long end a that deal.
That aside I have some real fond memories of Missoula. Fur was worth crazy money at that time and I spent a lotta time calling em in and shooting em. I down loaded a 788 .22-250 to about 2450ish FPS according to the book , 55 grain FMJ's. Wish I hadn't believed all the hog-wash I'd read about the .17 Remington then, a lot less sewing even with the little there was with that load. Skinned more than a few of em with a Ruana I had, at least she didn't get that.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:30 AM
Supporting Member

bert2368, you nailed it on the sap wood choice. I had thought of that on first seeing it but there is a narrow (maybe 1/64th") black band between the sap and the red wood that makes it appear that maybe an insert of some type was epoxied in place.

As for kitchen knives, when it comes to them I'm just a spectator at my house. My wife likes my tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches on a cold day, but when it comes to serious slicing and dicing for fine dining at my house I stay out of the way. I showed her your pictures of kitchen knives, and she told me to pass on that if you like the JCK knives that you pictured that you'd probably fall in love with a set of Wusthof knives in the kitchen too.

Just one man's wife's opinion who loves kitchen stuff....... I'm far more into hunting knives and popping popcorn. YMMV, and so on.

-BCB

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 10-15-2019 at 06:11 PM. Reason: wording and grammar.............
Old 10-16-2019, 03:05 AM
Supporting Member

If you happen onto a couple of browning knives my son who is getting married Saturday conned me into a father son deal where I bought a model 65 218 bee and he bought the nicer model 53 32-20 (that get me into shooting a 32 acp???

Anyhow he was all wound up for a 53&65 knife. I thought I’d just buy them and give one to him for his wedding but they are hard to find.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:51 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
If you happen onto a couple of browning knives my son who is getting married Saturday conned me into a father son deal where I bought a model 65 218 bee and he bought the nicer model 53 32-20 (that get me into shooting a 32 acp???

Anyhow he was all wound up for a 53&65 knife. I thought I’d just buy them and give one to him for his wedding but they are hard to find.
Hey, Gary....... Are you looking for specific Browning knives dedicated to the two rifle models or just a matching pair of Browning knives?

-BCB

Old 10-16-2019, 04:06 PM
Supporting Member

Specific Browning knives dedicated to the two rifle models ... This is what I got from my son a while back-

Yes, so my 53 is 1 of 5000 and I think of that only 2000 knifes were made.

I don’t remember for your 65, I think it was only 1500 knifes.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:28 PM

Location: Blasted hellish frozen Northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
bert2368, you nailed it on the sap wood choice. I had thought of that on first seeing it but there is a narrow (maybe 1/64th") black band between the sap and the red wood that makes it appear that maybe an insert of some type was epoxied in place.

As for kitchen knives, when it comes to them I'm just a spectator at my house. My wife likes my tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches on a cold day, but when it comes to serious slicing and dicing for fine dining at my house I stay out of the way. I showed her your pictures of kitchen knives, and she told me to pass on that if you like the JCK knives that you pictured that you'd probably fall in love with a set of Wusthof knives in the kitchen too.

Just one man's wife's opinion who loves kitchen stuff....... I'm far more into hunting knives and popping popcorn. YMMV, and so on.

-BCB
It wasn't me guessing about a sap wood inclusion- Think that was craig55?

Thank your wife for the suggestion of Wusthof, but I started my German knife phase back around the early 1980s. I did JC Henckels, my brother who also was cooking did Wusthofs. Still have some of those Henckels 4 star knives, but the German knives are too soft and too heavy for my tastes once I got experience with Japanese knives (and Japanese interpretations of western style knives).

If your wife likes western shaped kitchen knives, try some North Arm knives from BC Canada out on her.

https://northarmknives.com/product-c...v=7516fd43adaa

Thin, hard CPM S35VN blades and G10 or Carbon fiber handles, light and nimble like a J knife but with a full tang and euro shapes (except no big unnecessary bolsters to get in the way). Stays sharp a heck of a long time, yet still much easier to sharpen than S110V.

I have the 8" chefs knife and the 3.6" parer. I will try using that parer for field dressing my next deer- It's the exact same knife they sell as the "Mallard Bird and Trout Knife", except they add a kydex sheath and offer blaze orange or green handle scales for outdoors use.

Stay sharp...
Old 10-17-2019, 01:58 PM
Supporting Member

Sorry about the personality mix-up, bert. Anyway, the knife maker confirmed that it was sap wood.

Gary, I'll check with a couple of places in my AO this morning but I'm not hopeful. Any idea when these knives were made?

-BCB