Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2018, 10:08 PM

Default Small Caliber Fun in the Rat Patch

Fun in the rat patch means giving flying lessons to our favorite buddy, Skippy of course. We just returned from a four day trip giving flying lessons to all the squirrels who would show up each morning for 'lessons'. We were set up in eastern Oregon on an alfalfa ranch infested with the grass munchers. The landowner is a very generous fellow who has us bring our travel trailers and park on ranch property. We even have water and electrical power, so in the evenings there is always good "guy movies" after barrels are cool and clean.

Our shooting positions were mostly set up at the base of a large prominent rock outcropping, so at the edge of the irrigated field we could gain a few feet of elevation in order to see the little buggers in the alfalfa, which was almost too long already to see them even when standing, especially at ground level:

Looking past my setup and rig is our good buddy "Hemiallen" shooting his 223AI and giving Skippy no quarter:

Calibers on this trip by those in attendance ranged from 22LR (belt pistols), 17HMR, 17HH, 22 K-Hornet, 20VT, 221FB, 204R, and of course the 223 Rem. My Cooper M38 Phoenix in 221FB overlooking the rat patch with her Leupy VX3 6.5-20X LR 40mm aboard. Interestingly, out of six shooters, each with an average of five rifles with him, virtually ALL wore Leupold glass.

Dan at rat camp working on his LR skills with his Modified M700 in 7.62 on a rock outcropping "way out there":

The overall rat count was the feeling that most of our shooting was at juveniles, and only a few nice plump adults. That naturally made for some challenging shooting, as the young-un's are smaller than a soda can by about half. Challenging makes us better, right?

So until after first cut, the alfalfa is now too long to shoot, so it's time to head out into the junipers and cruise the rock piles in search of our elusive buddy, the rock chuck. Think I'll take my Cooper Furball out this time again, as she's only had her way with squirrels....time for the "big stuff".

(Edit: Admin...any chance of allowing more than only four images per post?)
Old 05-14-2018, 10:16 PM

Atta Boys!!

Looks like a sweet setup. Grass is too tall around here now as well. I'm fixing to start targeting some chucks myself..........17 Remington style.

Thanks for sharing!!
Old 05-14-2018, 10:35 PM

Default Small Caliber Fun in the Rat Patch

Thank you Rick, looks very nice and like all of you did, in fact, have a really good shoot/time. My fields, down here, are all ready too high to see the squeeks in. Will have to wait until the first cutting, in a few more weeks. Bill K
Old 05-15-2018, 12:06 AM
Supporting Member

I'm jealous! Last time I squeezed a trigger an elk died...in the snow...last November! Boy have I been housebound and trigger-time deprived .
Hope ya had fun Rick!
Old 05-15-2018, 12:49 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks again for the Skippy flight school lessons, Rick. I forgot to take down the "Eastern Oregon raptor feeding society" sign I put up in the back window, and had a few locals commenting on it.

Had a great time, and once I dialed in the 223AI's scope for distance I was pretty consistent on the thump report we enjoy hearing, plus flight lessons were a bonus. You on the Fireball made me believe you can't miss, and thanks for sharing shooting spots with you. That slope we were on sure made them easy to see.

I did notice my last day before I scooted back to Tahoe the Skippy's were the young ones, their body size and neck sure stand out compared to the adults.

Can't wait for my next trip. All cleaned up and ready to foul them again.

Allen
Old 05-15-2018, 12:52 AM
Supporting Member

Nice write-up! Now I'm itching to get back out again soon!
Old 05-15-2018, 04:13 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Good deal, glad you guys got together to help
the farmer out. Am sure he appreciates all the help
he can get controlling those rats.

Rick: Just post more sets of four.

Thanks for sharing,

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 05-15-2018, 11:05 AM

Default Love seeing your posts Rick.....

Looks like quite the big time operation!Glad to see you got out to help the rancher.Always love to see the Coopers in action.Poor little Skippy doesn’t stand a chance
Matt
Old 05-15-2018, 08:23 PM

Matt, Eric, Doug, George, Allen, Bill and Austin, thanks for the kind words. Here's a few more shots from that outing.

Our friend "Hemiallen" having his way with Skippy in the alfalfa with his Holland-built 223AI:

Father & son team of Gary and Dan on the high ground overlooking the alfalfa. Gary is shooting a Cooper Phoenix 204R, while Dan is using his M700 Varmint in 223: (This setup had about 25' of elevation over the field...about as good as it gets!)

During a rat shoot, I just cannot NOT uncase my Cooper M38 20VT, or "Scooter" (see Mike, she's out and about again, buddy!). She thrives on RL-7 and 32gr BT's or VG's, giving me a great "lift factor" in the field:

No rat shoot would be complete without a few "bench poppers" that appear anywhere from almost zero to about 25 yards from your bench, poking their head out of their hole for a lookabout. IF you happen to have a trusty 22LR belt pistol on you, it really adds to the fun, as the perimeter must be secure at all times!

As was the case last trip here, I was using my Kimber Ultra CDP .45 frame with a Kimber Compact Rimfire Conversion mounted. Using either CCI Mini-Mag HP's, or WW Power Point HP's, it's accurate enough for rats out to around 50 yards or so, as this old boy found out.

Now everyone is waiting for first cut, as the alfalfa is too long now to see these guys even if they stand up. As long as it doesn't get too hot too early, we may still have some time for some flying lessons. But now it's also time for rock chucks........

Last edited by Rick in Oregon; 05-16-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:54 AM
Supporting Member

Nice pictures, as usual Rick.

I forgot, but the picture shows it, I had my front rest almost topped out and had to use the lowest rear bag ( and hunker down) to get the right elevation for the long shots. I am usually sitting more upright, and that shirt must have been loose in the waste ( LOL)

Darrell sure makes a hummer. After the first ~10 "foulers" I had a very satisfying hit ratio. I think I only saw 3 or 4 of your flight trainee's, but herd the report of a mess

Allen