Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-25-2018, 04:05 PM

Default .20 P vs. .20 VT

I know that their are lots of VT fans on here. I know how great the VT is. Is it really THAT much better than a .20P for varmints, such as GS and Pdogs? I realize one can get more shots before the barrel heats up, but is it 10% more, 20% more, 30% more?? I am trying to decide is it worth the time dealing with reforming, and neck trimming to form the .20 VT over the ease of .20 P for volume shooting with LC brass, of which I have probably 3000 on hand, with swaged primer pockets and I can form in 2 passes and be ready to shoot. I already have a .20 P but it is about a #4 barrel, so it's not exactly made for high volume shooting. Do you double barrel life, or 50% more? I am a little anal about keeping barrels from getting too hot, possibly. I was all ready to end out an L46 until I floated the barrel and bed it, and now I can't bring myself to do it, and I can't make up my mind. I have read every thread I can find, but still am not quite there.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:32 PM

That seems like an easy one to answer, especially for a rabid rat shooter such as myself.

I'd keep that 20P for the occasional long shot or when the wind is up and do build that 20VT. I'd opine that your barrel life with the little VT will be at least a 50% improvement, assuming you stick to your barrel heating regimen.

I've gone 200 rounds w/o cleaning with my VT, accuracy was still "spot-on" so to speak, and when it was time to clean, it cleans right up (Wilson 12T bbl). My 20VT has right at 4,600 rounds downrange, and no hint of deteriorating accuracy.....at least yet.

When I hit the rat patch, I start with my 17HMR, graduate to the 20VT, and if needed, reach for one of my 204's. Most of the time, I'm happy inside 500 yards with my 20VT, and many times never even light off my 204. The minor hassle of brass forming is really no big deal either. I've got 1,000 rounds of 20VT boxed and ready for next rat season. That was built up over a span of five years....the effort is now forgotten and very much worth the effort.

If you build the 20VT, I can almost guarantee you'll be quite glad you did.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:52 PM

Interesting question and I’ll take a stab at it. Say the 20 P shoots 23 grains of H4198 and the 20 VT shoots 18.1 grains of the same. That is what I shoot in my 20 Tac and 20 VT. Since barrel heat corresponds to powder down the barrel, you can shoot 12.7 rounds of 20 VT for 10 rounds of 20 P. I shoot 32’s in my VT and 40’s in my Tac. The 40’s will hit harder and farther so no issue on PD’s but 32’s might be an issue on coyotes and groundhogs based on distance and other variables such as how fast you shoot, barrel twist... I will say that I toasted a Cooper barrel with 3500 rounds of 204 but no issues yet on these calibers. Others may chime in with more scientific answers. As far as brass prep, I formed 221 Rem for the VT and get good brass life and formed 223 commercial bulk brand for the Tac. Form and shoot with no need for fire forming on either.

Last edited by ken158; 08-25-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
I know that their are lots of VT fans on here. I know how great the VT is. Is it really THAT much better than a .20P for varmints, such as GS and Pdogs? I realize one can get more shots before the barrel heats up, but is it 10% more, 20% more, 30% more?? I am trying to decide is it worth the time dealing with reforming, and neck trimming to form the .20 VT over the ease of .20 P for volume shooting with LC brass, of which I have probably 3000 on hand, with swaged primer pockets and I can form in 2 passes and be ready to shoot. I already have a .20 P but it is about a #4 barrel, so it's not exactly made for high volume shooting. Do you double barrel life, or 50% more? I am a little anal about keeping barrels from getting too hot, possibly. I was all ready to end out an L46 until I floated the barrel and bed it, and now I can't bring myself to do it, and I can't make up my mind. I have read every thread I can find, but still am not quite there.
This is a very good question as I am getting ready to build my first .20 cal. Am interested in hearing as many opinions as possible. As a .20 newbie, I'm also wondering if perhaps a .20P could be loaded down to .20VT velocities to conserve barrel life generally, but with the option of loading up when needed?
Old 08-25-2018, 05:00 PM

I am trying to pin down if I am going to visit Oregon or N Utah in April of next year God willing, to help rid the land of GS. If it's 50% more life it would be a no brainer I guess. I probably need to start making brass. I have a .221 die to start the process. What is the best way to go for VT dies?
Old 08-25-2018, 05:12 PM

Build the Vartarg and Don’t look back! It’s a impressive caliber. I use my VT. for calling coyotes and Ghogs. I’m useing 40 gr Noslers and 40 gr Berger’s at 3550fps out of a 11 twist Pacnor.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:13 PM

Nuthin' more appropriate for Orygun ground rats than the 20VT! Powder volume to size of target is just about "right".

For 20VT dies, this combination will give you forming capability, standard reloading practices, and great concentricity. I only purchase Redding dies any more, based on personal experience and 50 years of handloading (there's other options I know, but this has worked very well for an extended period of time).

Redding 20VT Body Die (forming/shoulder bump)
Redding 20VT Bushing Neck Die
Redding 20VT Competition Seating Die

This die combination has yielded 100 yard groups of "high zero's" to "low .2's" in my Cooper. I'm no BR shooter, but if I can get groups like this with standard 7/8"-14 dies, it must be a good combination.

No need to fireform, just form those cases and get out and shoot them. Thousands of Orygun ground squirrels will attest to this!

Last edited by Rick in Oregon; 08-25-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:03 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to x32030
Default 20 vt

Rick covered EVERYTHING, the 20 VT kills groundhogs here in N.Indiana just like does with sage rats in Oregon. DRT. Easy to load, not picky about powders. I have a 20 Tac also, life is good!! Dave
Old 08-25-2018, 07:53 PM

Seriously??? Your on this site and don't have a 20vt, come on man get with the program.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:58 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintshooter View Post
Seriously??? Your on this site and don't have a 20vt, come on man get with the program.

LOL..!!!!!

It hasn't always been that way with today's loyal 20 VT Sauberites. Back in 2004 when the 204 Ruger hit the air waves, on another forum devoted to the then new 20 caliber cartridge, I stated that the 204 Ruger was a great cartridge but that I personally didn't think that it was the best 20 caliber cartridge going at the time. A couple of newly minted 204 Ruger advocates who at that point in time thought that the world began and ended with the 204 Ruger cartridge chided me severely when I told them that the 204 Ruger was good but not nearly as good as the 20 VT was overall. At that time I don't think that either of them had heard of, shot, or seen a 20 VT cartridge or rifle.

You'd have thought I had committed heresy with my statement by the resulting furor. It's not so much that way today, apparently, as at least one of them has spread his wings considerably further.

btw - The 20 VT is still great today, and it would still be my choice if I could only have one 20 caliber rifle...!!!!

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 08-25-2018 at 09:01 PM.