Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-02-2018, 02:26 PM

Default 17 Rem Brass

Good point on the shortness of 223/5.56 brass formed into 17 Rem. it will run about .040 to .050 shorter, when first formed, however I found, like others and what the information indicates, that after a couple firings it gains some length and works just fine. Have done so, for a fair number of years now on mine. So when factory, Remington or any others are in short supply, LC brass is plentiful to work with. Just my thoughts. Bill K
Old 09-02-2018, 03:30 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Good point on the shortness of 223/5.56 brass formed into 17 Rem. it will run about .040 to .050 shorter, when first formed, however I found, like others and what the information indicates, that after a couple firings it gains some length and works just fine. Have done so, for a fair number of years now on mine. So when factory, Remington or any others are in short supply, LC brass is plentiful to work with. Just my thoughts. Bill K
All true, but shooting short brass in a rifle until "it gains some length" is not good for your rifle, especially one with very shallow lands and grooves like a 17 Rem has. Again, YMMV........

And your number is correct. I got the decimal in the wrong place........ 40+ thousandths short.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 09-02-2018 at 03:33 PM. Reason: added........................
Old 09-02-2018, 04:09 PM

The Norma primer pocket issue has me baffled. I use quite a bit of Norma brass and have not had this problem. My 6.5 4S (saum) brass was from 300 saum necked down and it has had no issues with pp. Off the top of my head I currently use Norma brass in 6ish different cartridges with no issues.

Maybe just a bad lot??

A Nosler employee told me their brass is made by Norma. Something you all probably already know.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:23 PM

Default 17 Rem brass ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
All true, but shooting short brass in a rifle until "it gains some length" is not good for your rifle, especially one with very shallow lands and grooves like a 17 Rem has. Again, YMMV........

And your number is correct. I got the decimal in the wrong place........ 40+ thousandths short.

-BCB
I did put it in the wrong spot. Sorry about that. The length will work out fine, with maybe two firings, which will not harm anything. But if a person is worried than just wait and find/locate factory brass, rather than form from others. Just depends on what a person wants or can do. Bill K
Old 09-02-2018, 04:36 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
I did put it in the wrong spot. Sorry about that. The length will work out fine, with maybe two firings, which will not harm anything. But if a person is worried than just wait and find/locate factory brass, rather than form from others. Just depends on what a person wants or can do. Bill K
On the number, you were right and I was wrong.

As for choices with a high intensity cartridge and no harm resulting: I just stated why I wouldn't use 223 brass to get to 17 Rem. Again, YMMV.......

As for the decimal: https://www.answers.com/Q/How_would_...s_as_a_decimal

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 09-02-2018 at 05:13 PM. Reason: link added..................
Old 09-02-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotezapper View Post
The Norma primer pocket issue has me baffled. I use quite a bit of Norma brass and have not had this problem. My 6.5 4S (saum) brass was from 300 saum necked down and it has had no issues with pp. Off the top of my head I currently use Norma brass in 6ish different cartridges with no issues.

Maybe just a bad lot??

A Nosler employee told me their brass is made by Norma. Something you all probably already know.
Coyotezapper,
Correct nosler brass is made by Norma, just different head stamps. Hornady brass in the 6.5 Saum has had some issues as well. The bertram stuff that ive been testing is some awesome stuff. Very consistent and has been holding up well with more internal volume. Its kind of a combination of remingtons volume with the charteristics of lapua metallurgy.

Xdeano
Old 09-02-2018, 07:24 PM

Default 17 Remingon brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeano View Post
Coyotezapper,
Correct nosler brass is made by Norma, just different head stamps. Hornady brass in the 6.5 Saum has had some issues as well. The bertram stuff that ive been testing is some awesome stuff. Very consistent and has been holding up well with more internal volume. Its kind of a combination of remingtons volume with the charteristics of lapua metallurgy.

Xdeano
Not positive of this, but I do believe Nosler is now making their own brass, since purchasing another company and installing equipment. Maybe Rick (RIO) can verify this, if correct. Bill K
Old 09-02-2018, 09:44 PM

I checked three random brass each, 3 New Remington nickel and 3 High Plains reformed trimmed by them brass. Average length Rem nickel 1.7880 the High pl was 1.7760 average difference 0.012. Using my Hornady headspace comparator, the Remington brass average is 3.376(all were same) the High pl was 3.344 difference of 0.032. After firing the High Plains brass is averaging 3.376 I bump it back .003-.004 for the Ar, as the new Remington brass will sometimes not go into battery in the AR if I just neck size before loading. I have never had a case head separation, and have used a feeler wire on the inside of some to check for stretching. I thought I would have problems, with .03+ headspace but I think the wavy shoulders on the reformed brass makes an accurate headspace measurement difficult. Honestly in both my 17 rem, Shilen and Lilja barrels, powder and primers make more of a difference in accuracy then the brass. I can get slightly higher velocity with the Remington brass. The Lilia barrel was a custom reamer made to my sizing die. The Shilen was a cataloged barrel purchased with an AR bolt. Not trying to push anyone to reforming 556 brass for the 17 rem, just my experience with using both.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:11 AM

So what brass is high Plains forming into 17 rem?
223 or 556
Brass? LC, Fed, rem etc?
Old 09-03-2018, 04:24 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeano View Post
So what brass is high Plains forming into 17 rem?
223 or 556
Brass? LC, Fed, rem etc?
Why don't you click on their add and ask what they currently are using?

Nothing better than asking the company directly for an answer to what brand brass they are using ,,,,,

http://www.highplainsbrass.com/