Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 07-27-2017, 01:39 PM

Default 6mm-30/30 revisited

I set a challenge for myself this summer – to shoot all my rifles before the snow flies. I’m behind schedule. This week, I broke out the Stevens 44 ½ varmint rifle with the GR Douglas 6mm barrel. I had maybe 20 rounds loaded with Euber double-radius ogive 68 grain bullets, which I’d determined to have a muzzle velocity just over 3000 fps. After re-mounting the Unertl 1 ½” scope, I confirmed the zero at 100 yards, then went to the 300 yard range and shot a 5-shot group measuring just over 2 ½ inches. Then I plinked at the metal animal silhouettes hanging from chains to the right of the targets. The barrel requires patient cleaning to get the copper out these days – more than it did some 49 years ago when this project was undertaken. I’ll leave the 300 yard zero on the scope, and shoot some more, maybe this weekend.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:44 PM

Very nice. A true classic varmint rig. Mr. Donaldson must be smiling somewhere......
Old 07-27-2017, 05:49 PM

Default Thanks for sharing.

Harold

Thanks for sharing picture of a Fine Rifle. I never get tired of see high grade wood. Keep them coming.

Not to bad of job that you have ahead of you.

Hal
Old 07-28-2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
Harold

Thanks for sharing picture of a Fine Rifle. I never get tired of see high grade wood. Keep them coming.

Not to bad of job that you have ahead of you.

Hal
Ill agree with you there, only I am a greedy bugger and would like to see a couple more photos of this one.

So how about it then Harold ? Please
Old 07-28-2017, 02:27 AM

If one side is great, the other side is better.
Very nice wood.

Hal
Old 07-29-2017, 02:30 PM
Supporting Member

Harold, what a beautiful piece. Thank you for sharing.
I like your project, getting all the safe queens out for a dance.

I had one one my old guns out this week for a range day, after a longe break. Glad I did. I think I'll take some inspiration from you and do some more!
Best
Larry
Old 07-29-2017, 11:38 PM

Harold, that there is a work of art, almost to good to take out, note I said almost. Thanks for the photos mate.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:52 PM

Did you ever try any of the small flash hole 30/30 brass? Seems to remember it was called 30 American?..............has been a while though since I heard of such.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:08 PM

Harold,

Was not trying to be pushy or anything. I remember the 30 American becoming available back when. It represented some new ideas to try out by the average guy.

I also remember the 6mmBR brass by Remington with no flash holes. You were able to size the flash hole to your own whims, seems like about the time the PPC became more prevalent. I was never good enough to tell the difference in flash hole size, but at least got to go thru the exercises and get that experience of trying something new.

Remember the primed 22 mag brass that some folks necked up to 17?, many told me at BR shoots it was ok for a coyote. That was years before the first rifles with no 17/22mag ammo was available, then finally the HMR came to market; became a fair success really.

I understand fully on your comments on the 30 American. Some things jog the memories we have gathered in the gun sports, both items and us, and the friends that we shared ideas with.

Nice rifle by the way,

Rick W.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:33 PM

Harold,

Lovely rifle. I have always enjoyed my Stevens, though mine is not nearly as nice as yours. What a joy these old rifles are. they take one back to a simpler, happier time