Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2017, 02:05 PM

Default 17 Hornet Frankenstein

I finally got my hands on a 17 Hornet that didn't break the Bank It's an H&R Sportster Centerfire Receiver matched to a 17 HMR Barrel that was Chamber reamed to 17 Hornet this Rifle works perfect it locks up tight and ejects perfectly it came with 145 rounds of Hornady Superfomance 20 gr and a Simmons 6-18x40 sf ProHunter and it's a laser Beam 5 Rounds at 50 yrds 3/8' group. So my expanding 17 Family now consists of 17 HMR, 17 Remington and a 17 Hornet.
https://i.imgur.com/e3yaY0I.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/JHKuyAj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Lwe0D6T.jpg

Last edited by shortfuse; 12-18-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:00 PM

I like it.

I remember reading about what it would take to convert these to centerfire when the .17hmr first came out. What exactly is all required? Also what is the twist rate on the barrels? Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:22 PM

I have a .17HH and a .17FB Handi Rifles. The barrel is a 1-9 twist. It is a matter of fitting the barrel to the frame and reaming the chamber. The Hornet uses a modified rimfire ejector anf the fireball is fitted with a .223 extractor. They both shoot very well. I am considering sending off the barrels for Nitride treatment as H&R used a softer steel for rimfire barrels.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:29 PM

It was originally a 17 HMR Barrel so the twist should still be 1-9 as far as whats required to change from rimfire to centerfire I couldn't tell you but it's probably not worth doing it on these rifles but this is a factory centerfire receiver fitted to a rimfire barrel that was chamber reamed to 17 Hornet. Whoever did this did a fantastic job because it function flawlessly and as you can see it shoot great
Old 12-19-2017, 04:53 PM

Great little truck gun, I like it. Looks like it shoots plenty good enough

I have an H&R heavy barrel 17 mach 2 that i bought for $79 at BiMart 13 years ago that shoots 1/2" or less at 100 yards. Still have it but haven't shot it in years. I was never impressed with the 17MH2...........but, I shoot ground squirrels, not tree rats like many guys who adore the 17hm2.

Anyway, those handi rifles can shoot. Glad you got a good one, have fun with it. The hornet is a heck of a fun and useful round.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:04 AM

Did that require firing pin modification, going from .17 HMR to centerfire?
Old 12-20-2017, 11:22 AM

didn't the h&r rimfires have offset barrels to change where the firing pin hit? I'd be interested how they pulled that off for centerfire.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungheap View Post
Did that require firing pin modification, going from .17 HMR to centerfire?
No modification they swapped out a rimfire receiver for a centerfire receiver thats why I called it Frankenstein in the title I don't think any of the parts on this rifle left the Factory on the same gun

Last edited by shortfuse; 12-20-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_slayer View Post
didn't the h&r rimfires have offset barrels to change where the firing pin hit? I'd be interested how they pulled that off for centerfire.
SS I know it was a HMR barrel because it's stamped exatly like thiis HoRnet the o is stamped on top of the M in HMR and the net is added and the fireing pin does not strike the primer in the center so i'm sure the barrel is offset I'll take pictures of the stamp and a spent round when I get home then it should be clear. Whoever did the work did an excellent job because it works fine.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:51 PM

They had what they called Versipack or something similar that had offset barrels. The rest of the rimfire barrels were centered and the firing pin hole is offset. If the firing pin is offset in a centerfire receiver it’s because of lack of QC.