Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-09-2018, 11:45 PM

Question Chronographs

Folks ,
I recently acquired an Oelher 35P in like new condition from a friend who quit competitive high power rifle shooting . He almost gave it to me .
I’m told they are a good unit, but have not used it yet.
I read in a review that the problem was setting it up , It stated only a five minute job but you have to shut down the firing line to setup the screens
The new LabRadar is supposed to be a quickie setup and accurate.

I’d like to hear from folks that have both or either unit for your pros/cons.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Good shooting,

Soup
Old 10-10-2018, 01:56 AM

The Oehler 35P is probably the best consumer grade optical chronograph you can buy without spending considerably more money. My dad used to have one, more on this later, and I used it a fair amount. I can tell you with certainty, the 35P is an excellent chronograph.

The LabRadar seems to have a love it or hate it following. It's a pretty unique chronograph and is capable of a lot but, like everything, isn't without its faults. I've never used one but from talking to people I know that have, they aren't necessarily the most user friendly and unless you're a fairly tech savvy type, they can maybe be a little quirky to setup.

Once I bought my Magnetospeed chronograph and my dad saw how quick and easy it was to setup and use, he sold his 35P and bought a Magnetospeed as well.

I don't know that I have ever heard of anyone not liking their Oehler 35P and they always seem to give good honest readings so I'm sure it will serve you well and if you got it for nearly free, all the better.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:14 AM

I have your chronographs predecessor the model 35. I wouldn't call them problems in setting it up but it does take time. If you want to shoot groups as well as chronograph you need to get the rifle, chronograph and target all in line and same elevation. The chronograph should also be level. There is an element of trial and error to this. Hence the time element. Call it ten to fifteen minutes with practice. I've only seen the LabRadar set up and used twice (no actual experience of my own) but it seemed to be get it pointed in the targets general direction and it was good to go. All the LabRadar set up is by your shooting bench with nothing in front of the shooting line. This is a real convenience. That said my 35 year old Oehler is still an excellent piece of equipment. There are not many pieces of electrical equipment that you can say that about. Your 35P should be at least as good and for the price you can't beat it. As far as getting accurate velocities is concerned the 35P is about as good as it gets. Here regarding the LabRadar I can't comment.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:23 AM

When I began my reply B 23's comment was not posted yet. That tells me it took at least 18 minutes to type my reply. I can set the Oehler 35 up faster.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:25 AM

I have all but given up trying to shoot groups and chrono, just never had any luck.
Magneto speed does effect groups.

I hear the lab radar has issues with the under .22 club?
Jeff
Old 10-10-2018, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I have all but given up trying to shoot groups and chrono, just never had any luck.

Jeff
My Labradar sees 20 VTs without a hiccup.

Correction:
I just went to my VT targets to confirm Labradar use but found that I have not used it when shooting the VT.

I haven't used the 35P since acquiring the Labradar.

Re: the 35P: One of the nice features was the instant available printout. I also used the 35P neon light option for shooting at dusk when conditions settled down.

Last edited by Ricco1949; 10-10-2018 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 10-10-2018, 03:37 AM

My cousin has a Labradar and I borrow it any time I do load development it's just so simple and easy to use and supposed to be one of the more accurate units.

My optical unit can be frustrating at times especially considering I pretty much have a narrow window to do stuff after work because as soon as you lose direct light it's done! I've even had overcast give me fits. With the lab radar you can get every single shot even if your engaging multiple targets. no worries of shooting your crony.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:31 PM

Default MagnetoSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by [/U
JSH;274741]I have all but given up trying to shoot groups and chrono, just never had any luck.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,
When you say the MagnetoSpeed affects groups, do you mean it affects the group size or group placement. I have had mine move the point of impact but I have seen no effect on the size of the group.

I develop loads using the MagnetoSpeed then zero the scope for point of impact when I have my load. Works well for me with consistent and reliable readings.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 10-10-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in Illinois View Post
Hi Jeff,
When you say the MagnetoSpeed affects groups, do you mean it affects the group size or group placement. I have had mine move the point of impact but I have seen no effect on the size of the group.

I develop loads using the MagnetoSpeed then zero the scope for point of impact when I have my load. Works well for me with consistent and reliable readings.
This mirrors my experience as well. I've been using a MagnetoSpeed Chronograph since they very first came out with them and on countless rifles. I'll get POI shift but I've never had it effect group size.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:32 PM

Default Chronographs

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
This mirrors my experience as well. I've been using a MagnetoSpeed Chronograph since they very first came out with them and on countless rifles. I'll get POI shift but I've never had it effect group size.
Same here. POI may change slightly, but the group size has never been effected by the Magnetospeed unit I use. Bill K