Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2021, 03:05 PM
Supporting Member

For what most people use them for there is still nothing wrong with the Chrony brand. If you set them up square and ensure the box is fully open they work just fine and they are very inexpensive. I like to record velocity on all rounds fired during load development. The Chrony or Ohler (the Ohler 35 is back in production so you can get new ones) allows me to do that and shoot for group at the same time. Like B23 said, knowing SD, velocity, spotting velocity plateaus, and large jumps with small powder changes are all FAR better ways to judge loads and pressure than just looking at the brass.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:55 PM

Has anyone tried the Caldwell brand chronigraphs ? They seem to have pretty good reviews .
Old 04-13-2021, 04:10 PM

I have had a the Shooting Chrony Gamma Master for years, which has a printer. Never cared for their software, so I just collect the data velocity, mean and SD info and make a pivot table in Excel to keep the data electronically. I do use the printer to have the data available in hard copy until it is all in the computer. I tested the Chrony against a Pact chronograph long ago, and found they agreed within a few fps.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:25 PM

There are too many variables in reloading(and firearms) to equate velocity to pressure as your primary safety indicator. If velocity was a real pressure indicator, all you would need to do was load 1 cartridge each 0.3 gr from start load to top velocity in data to find your rifles max powder charge. Chronograph error, temperature,barrel length, bore and chamber concentrics, brass and primer quality,firing pin fit, bullet construction,twist rates,powder burn characteristics all can and will effect velocity from an individual firearm. Using target data to tune a load, I have never needed to load above powder data recommendations. Find the powder charge that gives smallest vertical dispersion, then tune seating depth. I want to see one bullet diameter or less vertical dispersion at 100 yards for hunting rifles, in a 0.4-0.6 gr powder range. Because I know that my measure and scales are +,- 0.2 gr accuracy.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:33 PM
Supporting Member

A chrony is he only way to know what actually happens when you add additional powder to a cartridge case or when you change other variables such as seating depth, etc..

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 04-13-2021, 11:55 PM

A Shooting Chrony will allow about all you need to know and is easy to pack as it folds up. Just make sure it is unfolded all the way and locked.
The Shooting Chrony Beta is better and I think there is one better yet, however Calwell markers a decent chronograph, one piece so stands aren't
needed for the light or sky screens as with the more elaborate devices from Oehler and PACT.
The all (Oehler12, PACT Timer & Chrony Beta) worked well for me for velocities up to 4,500fps.
I still have the Pact Timer and the Chrony Beta. Both of these will work and are a lot less expensive than the Oehler 35's and newer Pact Timers.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews...ta-master.html
https://www.caldwellshooting.com/ran...ph/720001.html
the Caldwell chronograph
As a matter of fact, I just ordered a Calwell Chronograph, just to have it
I've seen TAOFLEDERMAUS using one mounted almost at the muzzle of 12 bore shtoguns and usually getting good readings - amazing.
It also has a cord for longer spacing to hook into a phone for readout at the bench.

"Simple operation, large LCD screen

Ideal for firearms, archery, air gun and paintball

Meters per second (MPS) or Feet Per Second (FPS) readings

Measures from 5 to 9,999 FPS

Operates on a 9-volt battery (not included)"

Last edited by Daryl; 04-14-2021 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:36 AM

Chrony claims velocities from 30 to 7000fps. I have seen some 17 Rem velocities around 4200fps.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:46 AM
Supporting Member

Oehler 35P. The only one I have ever had sine 1995, or will ever need. I have watched other shooters dink around with Lab Radars and Magnetospeed units claiming the are easier to use and set up. Nope. I don't see it.

Set it up and forget it.

Magneto- have to take on and off for each rifle, never seen someone use for handgun. Lab Radar- have to calibrate it for what you are shooting to make sure is tracks the projectile properly and still have line it up with your target.

Go with the long rail, it includes the stands and you don't have to worry about balancing it on a tripod.

Did I mention customer service is top notch.

Hope this helps.

Michael.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:51 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

You guys with the Chrony brand
have you figured out why they put
all the works in front of the bullet and
wire legs on 'em yet??

So they can sell replacements WHEN they're hit!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 04-14-2021, 10:19 AM

I load pretty much the exact same way as coyotespotter.
I used a Chrony brand for 30 years untill a wire broke on it. I use a chrono to get a speed on my final loads for hunting rifles so i know were to start calculating drops.
I also use it to keep track of barrel speed up, more on my hunting rifles than varment stuff. I do not use one to find flat spots or determine if E.S is my best load, I let the target determine that.