Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
I find Marvel Mystery Oil to be perfect for my core squirting. I've used different types of light machine oil with success...the only thing I won't use anymore for core squirting is Kroil.

Good shootin'. -Al
that's the stuff george p.s. no silicone products don't know how you could get it off cores
Old 04-11-2013, 02:42 PM
Supporting Member

thanks George I will. Randy nailed it that why I use Charlie hood's cores wherever possible
Old 04-13-2013, 04:29 PM

Default Summary of Making Bullet Cores

Several methods in making cores. I gave one works for me but there seems to be some concern about whether to lube cores or not and whether silicone spray is acceptable. The reason I use the silicone spray is because I found trying to run dry cores my core die started to bind up. Randy says he runs dry rough cores through his core die fine for him but most bullet makers lube dry rough cores with something. After I clean squirted cores with an alcohol and vinegar wash they become finished cores. Other ways of cleaning cores are using acetone, paint thinner, white gas, tri sodium phosphate (TSP) as a boil, and some others.

As far as puchasing already made cores such as Hood do what you want, Charlie has them to sell. One thing to remember you still need to clean those store bought cores.

Overall the core making discussion is a good one. Thanks for the comments guys.

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 04-13-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:40 PM

So is everyone etching the cores? I have always debated this part of the process.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Supporting Member

Stephen, the only thing I don't care for with silicone is almost nothing removes it.even etching it still will be in cores. Utah, theres some different thoughts on clean and ie etched vs some lube left on cores or cleaned and relubed. I have actually tested this and I found that dry cores were further down in jacket AFTER pointing up then the cores with lube left on or cleaned and relubed.sooo this tells me core is moving forward more during point up with lube on cores, not what I would call a great bond with jacket. george
Old 04-13-2013, 08:34 PM

I've use plain old 3 in 1 oil for the last 35 or so years for core slug lube. About 10 drops per 1000 slugs seems to do a good job. I clean it off with acetone or mek. I've never seen a reason to change.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:47 PM

Default Randy

You used the terms dry core and wet core. Please explain.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:13 PM

Default Bangpop

Thanks for adding your comment. I like your use of 3 in1 oil as a core lubricant. One question, you say you use MEK to clean. You know it can be harmful to ones health if proper ventilation is not used. How do you do your cleaning with MEK?

Stephen Perry
Old 04-14-2013, 04:25 PM

Default George

I like your test for wet and dry cores. I would like to send you some of my cores for your test. I feel my cores fit in the dry category after I clean them. I don't hold stock in a silicone company so am not promoting it's use for profit, I use silicone because it works in the core making process I use.

Besides so far light oil, Marvel oil, paraffin wax, 3 in 1 oil and others have been suggested as lubricant for swaging cores. What proof is there that when cores are cleaned that some of their residue is still not attached. Show me a test that silicone stays on a core after a cleaning like I use. I think George that silicone spray is gettng a bad rap here, it serves a good purpose in lubricating cores for the swaging operation.

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 04-14-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen perry 1 View Post
Thanks for adding your comment. I like your use of 3 in1 oil as a core lubricant. One question, you say you use MEK to clean. You know it can be harmful to ones health if proper ventilation is not used. How do you do your cleaning with MEK?

Stephen Perry
I light a match and .......... No, I simply put the 1k formed cores in a 1 gallon glass jar and cover with MEK, swirl around for a minute or so and then decant off the MEK. Pour the cores on a clean towel and allow to dry. I do this procedure outdoors.