Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 05-09-2013, 01:04 AM

Default Been 2 Yrs Now How Many Started Swaging Bullets

Some that have been following this bullet making series how many have started rolling their own.

Stephen Perry
Old 05-09-2013, 01:13 AM

Default Swagging

I'm getting ready too have a couple of things to get from George yet and I'll be part of the cult.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:53 AM

Dont think its been quite a year for me, Im hooked bad. I wish I could find some more die sets for this old SAS press. I have a new press on order and a set of 20 dies I hope to see this summer, next.......14 caliber.

Thanks for taking your time to post all of those threads
Bob
Old 05-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Supporting Member

Stephen, I can think of 10 shooters that bought dies that had not made bullets before. this off the top of my head I didn't get into invoices. and that's just the u.s. I would have to look for overseas but now that I'm thinking about it theres another 5. Bob I wish I had known you were looking for 20's I have a set here. george
Old 05-11-2013, 07:31 PM

George
Some start making bullets and some bail out after their first couple hundred. The ones that bail are usually the ones with no motor skills, no patience, and no understanding of the shooting Sport they are in.

Thanks for patient machinists like yourself for making bullet making a better discipline. Makes me wonder if the generation here now and the ones coming up will sacrafice their resources to make competitive bullets, the old roll your way not generic store bought pills that will always have one skunk in the box.

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 05-14-2013 at 02:32 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Supporting Member

Stephen, I only know of one person that has bought dies and is not making bullets all others I hear from for either core seat punches or advice. there are also a few that have passed away. I originally started to help defray the cost of shooting. at that time bullets were 70$ per k I could make my own at 3-1 ratio, in other words I could make 3k for every 1k bought that's not including labor. now a days with material costs its around 2-1 ratio. george
Old 05-19-2013, 06:11 AM

Never stopped with the 223. But I have now added 9mm and 45 ACP. My 308 dies from Detsch just came yesterday. Jackets will be here soon. And then I can it to what I swage.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:17 AM

Stephen, I started building a couple of yrs ago. And I remember the posts you put on the other site, I actually saved all I could and printed them and put in a 3 ring binder. That I keep right beside my presses. Thank you for the thread. And I have spoke to George, a few times and he is a wealth of information..

Just wanted to say thank you again..

amos
Old 05-31-2013, 09:41 AM

Amos
Kiwi and Badger Bob have told me similar to you. Sometimes with bullet making we have had more fun than adults are supposed to have.

Over on BRC one simple comment about bullet making dominated that Forum for a long time. Problem was nothing was organized and daily comments were never organized to actually make bullets. When I started 'the ole bullet making thread' on Small Caliber a purpose was started to make bullets, several have used this simple bullet making plan and made bullets on their own. That makes me happy. Also Small Caliber has section labeled Bullet Making not hard to find.

Now the newer bullet maker here can ask a Mentor here a question that is well conceived not just a flippant comment. I enjoy the maturity of our bullet makers, we at Small Caliber are a worldwide family of like interested marksmen enjoying their efforts to compete with Mother Nature with bullets with their name on the box not a Corporate giant. To me that's what rolling your own means.

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 05-31-2013 at 09:46 AM.