Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 10-15-2013, 09:58 PM

This hog was very healthy and still growing! There is no telling just how big he would have gotten....

DAVID
Old 10-16-2013, 12:43 AM
Administrator

Wow. How old do you estimate him to be? That's incredible that lil 7 tcu punched right thru! I never would have thought...
Old 10-16-2013, 03:32 AM

Default I'm a bit surprised of the pass through too.

I reread/looked at everything again and see where you at the first listed the 160 Sierra Game King HP.........maybe the jacket was too tuff for the velocity and wgt bullet for reasonable expansion even at that close range?

But, back to my original request.

GREAT Story and thank you for taking the time to give all those moment by moment details. I really did enjoy every bit of it. I had a chance for a small hog on a deer hunt but didn't want to take the shot as a group of us were scattered around in deer stands and blinds and didn't want to possibly spook one that another bud may be waiting on for a clear shot.

Did you have'm mix the sausage with anything else more domestic to maybe get around any "boarishness"? How about the hide? Is it feasible/desirable to have it tanned? It looks like the dermestid beetles did good work on the skull..........or was it boiled?

You can tell by my questions that most of this is a different world for me and I enjoy the chance to learn, even in my old age.

When are you all going back out again?
Old 10-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for sharing the skull photos so quickly. I realize it's not your final mount. It sure looks a bit pre-historic!! And, I can see why some of the slower pistol cartridges have challenges penetrating the frontal skull area with its long slant that creates greater overall thickness.

Clearly an awesome trophy for your wife and you...congrats again!
Old 10-17-2013, 01:56 AM

Talking

csterner - I don't know how to age animals like this, and as such, I cannot give you an honest answer - I just don't know....

TAJ45 - I used the Sierra 160 gr. B.T.-H.P. Game King bullet for the weight and with the tip design, penetration is going to be better than a soft lead tipped bullet and then start expanding deep inside where it will have the most effect. And with "quarter" size exit holes, those bullets expanded and performed flawlessly - at least in my book...

This hog did not "stink" like most big boars do and no, I did not have it mixed with any other meat...

I did not want the hide but, someone else wanted it and they said they were gonna have it tanned. I don't remember the exact measurements but, the hide was bigger than 5 ft. X 6 ft...

The skull was boiled and bleached and it still STINKS! It's gonna have to stay outside for a while and I'll eventually have it put on a plaque for my wife...

When are we going back? There is a herd of 30-40 hogs 3-5 miles from our house and we'll just wait till they eventually make it over to our property and then we'll take a few of them out at that time....

thekriebles - thank you! I've shot hogs with a 44 magnum revolver and have literally watched the bullets flatten out on the front shoulder and fall to the ground! Deer are very soft and fragile compared to a hog but, deer also eat better....