Old 01-02-2018, 07:02 PM

Default Making 20 vartargturbo brass

And bod ever make any out of 223 brass or will necks have to be turned
Old 01-02-2018, 07:13 PM

Default Making 20 Vartarg Turbo brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ct17 View Post
And bod ever make any out of 223 brass or will necks have to be turned
Have not made the turbo brass, but have standard VT, with 223 brass. Usually it will need neck turning, after it is trimmed to length. Bill K
Old 01-02-2018, 07:22 PM
Supporting Member

I have never formed any myself, I took the easy or lazy way out and ordered mine from a board sponsor - High Plains Brass. I did need to turn the necks for the first rifle but I had the second cut using a reamer that was for no turn necks. I like the ease of no turning but I think the rifle with that requires turning shoots a little better groups.
On the High Plains Brass formed cases, I am on the 4th reloading and have yet to have any problem. Good brass and good work, for me the little I spend for the formed brass is well worth it.
Since retiring I look for the easier methods of this hobby, no way I'm getting out cheap so the least effort is my payback
Old 01-02-2018, 08:39 PM

If you have a .232 neck, plan on turning.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:49 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
I have never formed any myself, I took the easy or lazy way out and ordered mine from a board sponsor - High Plains Brass. I did need to turn the necks for the first rifle but I had the second cut using a reamer that was for no turn necks. I like the ease of no turning but I think the rifle with that requires turning shoots a little better groups.
On the High Plains Brass formed cases, I am on the 4th reloading and have yet to have any problem. Good brass and good work, for me the little I spend for the formed brass is well worth it.
Since retiring I look for the easier methods of this hobby, no way I'm getting out cheap so the least effort is my payback
Are you confusing the 20 Vartarg with the larger Vartarg Turbo case that the OP inquired about?

I specifically looked as I was interested when you said you got yours from High Plains, but they don't show the Vartarg Turbo case on the list of formed brass.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 01-02-2018, 09:44 PM

BCB, I visited with HP Brass when they first started offering 20VT cases. They sent me a few in exchange for feedback. A few of us here were in on that. I feel safe saying that the only VT brass they have & do offer is the original version. They do a decent job of forming it but, it does need turned and uniformed. That, and it is once fired with differing years on the headstamp.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:38 PM

Default Making 20 Vartarg Turbo brass

I believe he asked about making the turbo brass with 223 brass. With either 20Vt of the Turbo (222 Rem necked down to 20), if he forms it with 223 brass it will need trimmed and then the necks turned, more than likely. At least that is my thought and suggestion. Bill K
Old 01-02-2018, 10:39 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramos View Post
BCB, I visited with HP Brass when they first started offering 20VT cases. They sent me a few in exchange for feedback. A few of us here were in on that. I feel safe saying that the only VT brass they have & do offer is the original version. They do a decent job of forming it but, it does need turned and uniformed. That, and it is once fired with differing years on the headstamp.
I responded initially to Big Joe's comment. After looking at the HP web site, I think he read right through the VT Turbo question.

I previously knew that HP makes 20 VT brass, but I perked up when I saw the reference to High Plains about VT Turbo brass. I've always been interested in the VT Turbo since the TK days, but never jumped due to the issue of making brass for it. A rifle in VT Turbo would be a nice mate to my VT. Todd built his 20 and 22 VT Turbo using the 222 Rem cartridge.

http://www.woodchuckden.com/vartarg.aspx

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 01-03-2018 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:20 AM

Default 20 VarTarg brass making ??

BCB, Not to take away from the original question, but P.O. Ackley also worked with the 222 Rem case, necked to 20 Cal even before Todd did, at that time however, it just did not seem to take off.
Now Todd brought it back to life, when he started working with and really showing what a 20 cal could do, with several case's. Just loads of fun. Bill K
Old 01-03-2018, 04:00 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
BCB, Not to take away from the original question, but P.O. Ackley also worked with the 222 Rem case, necked to 20 Cal even before Todd did, at that time however, it just did not seem to take off.
Now Todd brought it back to life, when he started working with and really showing what a 20 cal could do, with several case's. Just loads of fun. Bill K
LOL....!! Lots of things happened before the modern era, Bill.

My first venture into being interested in 20 caliber rifles was back in the early 1980's when a cartridge called the 5MM-223 was the rage in the very small but growing 20 caliber world. Now with the internet and all, its known to the world as the just recently discovered 20 Practical......

I wonder what the next generation will no doubt discover on their own.............

-BCB