Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-20-2019, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminweasil View Post
I've considered the Vartarg..........but recently running down the .19 caliber "rabbit hole", I would really like to stay with .19 cal and 22 caliber for my "small caliber reloading".
I had a 204.........more than once. Didn't raise my heart rate for whatever reasons. I found I'd rather shoot my Kimber 223's.
Often times, the rifle i'm holding outways the cartridge it is chambered in for me. I have an 1885 Browning .22 hornet (that would be so much better in a .19 calhoon hornet). However, some times it's nice to have a variety, so I'll leave it a .22 hornet.

I currently shoot
.22LR (too many to list....favorite is Kimber K22 Hunter)
.22 Magnum (Ruger 77/22 sporter walnut, custom green mountain stainless fluted)
.17 WSM (Ruger 77/22 Varmint Walnut) (Custom MGM Stainless T/C contender Carbine)

Varmint Rifle Centerfires:
.19 Calhoon Hornet (Browning A bolt Custom Pacnor Gre-Tan)

.22 Mink (Browning A bolt custom X caliber (Dresden Gun Co...."Adam Bentley" barreled/chambered)
.22 Hornet (1885 Browning, Browning A bolt Micro Medallion)
.22 K Hornet (Ruger 77/22 K hornet sporter walnut.....smith unkown....Tack Driver)

.222 Rem (Cz 527 Varmint Laminate stock...........will be for SALE in the near future)
.223 Rem (I have 3 Kimber 84 Longmaster Classics....heavy/stainless/fluted) (Browning Abolt Micro Medallion) (New England Handi....chopped Barrel to 17" *truck gun)
.22 PPC (Ruger Number 1V ....factory config....rare)

Bigger stuff.........
.243 Win.... (Howa Alpines Plural)
25-06 Rem (Kimber 8400 Classic)
.308 Win (Kimber 84 Classic Select)
30-30 Win (Marlin Marauder Lever)
44 Mag (Marlin Lever)
45-70 (Marlin LTD-II Octagon)

It's interesting how we all have our preferences to accomplish a similar/same goal.

Varmint Cartridges I have owned/loaded for that I no longer have due to preference for others I kept...........
.17 Hornady Hornet
.17 Remington
.221 Fireball

As far as "best varmint cartridge".............doesn't exist, but the fun part is trying to find it.
Next on my list...............19 BADGER
You should have picked up Carl's 19 Badger when he had it listed a couple weeks ago. I'm gonna kick myself in the butt for not pulling the trigger on that rifle.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20VarTarg View Post
You should have picked up Carl's 19 Badger when he had it listed a couple weeks ago. I'm gonna kick myself in the butt for not pulling the trigger on that rifle.
Nah....it was a CZ
Old 07-20-2019, 05:11 PM

I too had many different rifles before I met the 20 VT. I finally sold all my large calibers and now only have 2 20VT's and an HMR.

Both of my 20 VT's, Cooper 21 and Remington 700, just had new Pac-Nor 11 twist barrels put on. I plan on having two loads for each rifle, 32 gr Vmax and 40 gr Vmax.

For rifles, all my reloading has been scaled back to 20 VT only.

I'm hoping that I can use the same load for each rifle, but I'll see what the targets tell me as I progress.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:55 PM

I just got my VT from smith and its awesome. Been shooting 223 and now 223ai and 22-250 and will say the VT is fun and I will use more than anything till the wind picks up over 10mph. I shoot a lot at varmits so I enjoy the economy of the VT. I will say the VT will not be on the coyote stand though with the load Im shooting 34 dogtowns.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter67wa View Post
I just got my VT from smith and its awesome. Been shooting 223 and now 223ai and 22-250 and will say the VT is fun and I will use more than anything till the wind picks up over 10mph. I shoot a lot at varmits so I enjoy the economy of the VT. I will say the VT will not be on the coyote stand though with the load Im shooting 34 dogtowns.
I haven't hunted Wyoming yet but would like to. I've been through it a couple of times headed to Oregon.

I'm not sure what time of day you can find the wind 10 mph or below. The little bit I know of Wyoming, it seems windy all the time. You might try the 40 grainers in the wind, that seems to help me out.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:36 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimreed1948 View Post
I haven't hunted Wyoming yet but would like to. I've been through it a couple of times headed to Oregon.

I'm not sure what time of day you can find the wind 10 mph or below. The little bit I know of Wyoming, it seems windy all the time. You might try the 40 grainers in the wind, that seems to help me out.
My father worked for an oil company and since his checks were being sent to NE Wyoming, that is where I lived growing up from the 5th grade through college. I grew up shooing pd's at a young age in that area. In this time frame in my life, I still go back several times a year to shoot PD's in the same area and in other areas in Wyoming and neighboring states.

The wind doesn't always blow in Wyoming even though it is a Wyo characteristic. There are some days in the summer that even a light breeze would be nice for the cooling effect. All that said, the 20 VT would not necessarily be my best choice for PD's on any given day in Wyoming's wide open spaces and distances with either 32 or 40 grain bullets if wind should become an issue. Sometimes more hp like a 20 Tac supplies and even several .224" cartridges and bullets help with the wind. On other occasions in Wyoming, I've shot 17 caliber rifles all day long and not had "wind problems". On still other occasions when the wind did blow, I've shot a Rem 700 Sendero in 25-06 with 87 grain HP bullets to try to stay on course at longer ranges where lighter bullets get knocked around like a ping pong ball.

I'm in no way knocking the 20 VT as it is a favorite of mine. I'm just saying that sometimes conditions where you are shooting help to determine the "perfect cartridge", and what is perfect may change within the same day as the weather changes, which does happen quite often in Wyoming.

Just my experience and thoughts on trying to handle varying conditions............. YMMV.

PS: As a coyote round, the 20 VT has a lot of much far superior competition. The 20 VT is at its best in the PD, rock chuck, and squirrel fields.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 07-21-2019 at 06:47 PM. Reason: material added.............
Old 07-21-2019, 11:50 PM

The query kinda reminds me of the queston "what is the meaning of life?"

Parameters and variables are too plentiful for a simple answer in my opinion.

Some places hogs and coyotes are the main varmint.

I remember as a kid wondering about the power of the 222 on coyotes at extended ranges, then came along the biggie 22's, 6's, and 25's.

Kinda like fitting the answer to the specific equation of your needs, one can always justify more rifles right?
Old 07-22-2019, 12:59 PM

Agree to all. It is just a giggle gun. Every time I pull the trigger with little report and watch what happens in the scope I giggle. I also giggle at the cost to reload also. But I did try some 75 eld-m in my 22-250 fast twist and they are shooting in the .2 so sorry bergers they are cheaper. For the windy days in WY.

Its all great fun. Long shot on Rock chuck was 337 with the VT Sat not explosive like the 6 CM but still fun.

If you want to get great at variable winds them come into the high county canyons and shoot rock chucks. That will put your tail up over your back
Old 07-22-2019, 02:51 PM

I love everyones comments on this thread. It really is a giggle gun. That's exactly the way I felt the first time I pulled the trigger on my 20VT. And that feeling still comes back every single time I shoot either one of them. I'd say 450 yards is the max range for ethical kills on varmints and that I will need to add another caliber to the safe sooner or later. But for now I am going to enjoy every second shooting the 20 VT's.

I think no matter what you do, shoot paper target, PD's, Squirrel, or Chucks. Everyone needs to have a 20 VT. Maybe I'm bias, but I've never said that about any other caliber. And I've owned so many I can't even remember all of them. The 20 VT is a caliber I will have around for the rest of my life.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:07 PM

Default VT Epiphany Moment

I built my first VT 4 years ago after using 22-250s and 223s and 6-XCs for 25 years for PDs.

I still recall my first VT shot was about 100 yards.....a cinchy.

I was so used to the report and recoil from the bigger guns that I thought the VT had misfired until I saw the red mist appear. It was an epiphany moment.

Haven't fired a 22-250 or 6XC since.