Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Other Forums and Resources > Cartridge Collecting, Small caliber cases exchange.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Supporting Member

Default Looking for ideas on how to display a collection

My 7yr old son is doing a cartridge collection for a Cubscout Tiger Badge requirement. For right now I'm, I mean him, will be staying away from wildcats and sticking to original chamberings. He's at about 35 pcs. right now and I'm looking for a way to label and display them. I don't want to permanently mount these, I want them to be able to remove and look at them but it has to be mobile, easily carried. Any pics of complete collections, big or small would be welcome.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Supporting Member

There is a thread here someplace with pics I think… I just used some ¾”x 2” X 4’ long boards and stapled cardboard to the back. I think a guy needs a long magnetic strip and make some steel primers to seat so they don’t all fall over when you go to grab one….
Old 09-25-2009, 10:47 PM

Default I don't have on of these, but...

Something built along the lines of a bathroom medicine cabinet might work.

A shallow display box with a hinged front door that can be opened 180 degrees, perhaps with a poster of a cutaway cartridge on the inside with all the parts labeled.

The shelves would be about one inch thick with holes drilled about one half inch deep to hold the cartridges. The shelves would be thick enough for the cartridge names to be displayed somehow on the edge of the shelf.

Put a handle on the top and maybe removable feet on the bottom that are wide enough to stabilize the box when it is on a display table so it doesn't tip over.

You could probably pick up all the materials at Lowe's or Home Depot and your son can build the whole thing himself with your supervision.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:15 AM
Supporting Member

I have seen several display cases that had soft clear tubing bands/rings, (like IV tubing only larger), these bands were cut into about 1/4" wide, and then these bands were split in the center and the round was snapped inside this band to hold the case via a small brass screw threw the back side of the ring onto a display case made of light plywood.

Layed out on about 1" centers, a lot of cases can be contained in a 24'x30" sized display case.

The cases could be removed/changed postions as the collect grew, and small name plates could be added under neath each case for info, which could be remove and moved as needed etc.

You need a couple of different sized tubing (inside dimensions) to fit most all the caliber/cases, and this soft plastic tubing does not hurt the case when being removed etc..

Hope this helps, with all the cases out there this can be a very enjoyable hobby and can make some very interesting displays in the years to come, don't ask how I know, as I have over 300+ in my small collestion.
Don
ps, I'll even donate a couple of Wildcats to get him started!
It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for their actions."
Ronald Reagan
Old 09-27-2009, 04:45 PM

look at the thread labeled "new collector looking for small stuff" and you will see what i did. my collection is simply placed n the shelf and not moved, but there are a number of things one could do. you might try the cardboard backing thing and run brass wire around the case bottom and through to the back and twisting it like a loaf of bread. it will hold them still, and then be easy to remove them and re-install them somewhere else on the board.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:51 PM

Default Michael's crafts for collection frames

Hi, Chuck,
I realize this posting is probably too late, but might help someone else with a similar question.
If you have access to a Crafts store such as Michael's, they have ready made frames for collections, etc. You can finish them any way you want as they are "in the raw."
I don't know if this project has to be done from scratch or not, but Michael's, etc. would be a quick way to get what you need.
Then you could use small pieces of Velcro to attach the cartridges to a fabric backing. The Velcro could then be easily removed from the cartridges, etc.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Supporting Member

I like Mrs Eagle's velcro idea. I have clear plastic tubes from Sinclair, they work but not as well as velcro would.

ML
Old 10-25-2009, 12:12 AM

Default Coin Tubes

Chuck , I like Clear Plastic Coin Tubes . Nickel ones work great , and are about 3.1 inches long , so will work for everything but the really long Cases . You can buy these Tubes at any Coin Store . I picked up a wooden Tray with slots just big enough for the tubes , or if you are handy you could build an Herb Rack type holder . I use a Dymo Labeler to mark the Tubes . Now I need more Cartridges !