Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2017, 01:56 AM

Default Lead bullets in 22h

Anyone do any shooting of lead gas checked bullets in the 22 hornet.
If so, what speed did you run them at, and what use, hunting, paper punching or...
If hunting, do they expand any or is it a .224 hole?

I have a couple anschutz 22 hornets that are very accurate.
Just thinking of trying something different.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2017, 11:50 AM

I stepped on to the CB road about 20 years ago. I swore I would never cast for anything smaller than a 30. Well I gave in. 22RF ammo priced stupid, for crap to boot.
I bought a bunch of stuff and with it came a 22 mold and a bunch of gas checks. What the heck, I gave it a go. I have not shot past 50 yards. My goal was to achieve somthing equal to what I was getting with good quality 22rf ammo. 105-1100 fps was my goal. SR 7625 hit the mark and has made me happy.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:33 PM

If not tried yet, the .22TCM 40 grain bullet is an impressively accurate & explosive bullet. It takes the little Hornet to a whole new performance level!.....And, they're cheap: $7/100... less, in bulk.

Bill

http://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/c...&category=TCM0
Old 12-12-2017, 02:08 PM

I have done some loading/shooting with cast lead bullets in .22H. Never really thought of doing it until NOE mould company came out with some nice moulds that were perfect for the .22H and I decided to try out casting .22H bullets. Al has since added a 48 gr. spire point that intrigues me also but I need to work these out before buying more .22 cal moulds.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...hgfkm6t991j072

I initially wanted something that would shoot in my magazine fed Anschutz's so I went with a NOE 39 gr. bullet with a gas check that was shaped like a conventional style bullet and when seated properly it works well in the magazines of my Anschutz's. Then NOE also came out with a heavier 46 gr. WFN style bullet that looked good and I decided that would be a decent hunting style bullet for the .22H. Since I was using very hard lead which makes casting small bullets easier I wasn't expecting any expansion and figured the flat metplat would work.

I cast some up and shot some in a few different hornets (Exemplar, T/C, M6 Scout) and got solid results and then moved on to another project. The little 37 gr. bullet shot well with both Lil'gun and AA 1680. I honestly just shot at some steel plates and was making a single silver splat on the plate so that was good for me. I just wanted to make sure these were worth keeping and figured I would eventually do some full testing on the in the future.

I enjoyed my brief experimentation and will do more in the future. I think if you are intrigued by them then you should go ahead with it.

In the pic below you can see the 39 gr. bullet on the right and the plain base version of the 46 gr. WFN bullet in the middle and on the left a NOE copy of the RCBS 55 gr. bullet. By the way, the WFN bullet is a cull so keep the comments about the wrinkles to yourself.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:13 PM
Board Sponsor

I shoot the 37g GC , 45g PB, and 45g GC in my hornets, The PB I run about 1200FPS and the GC I run in the 1800-2000 range. Bees Knees as far as I am concerned, they shoot well and cost very little.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 12-12-2017, 02:23 PM

Those are some excellent looking bullets...you guys make me feel I have missed something by not investigating this type of bullet making.
Impressive....
Bill
Old 12-12-2017, 03:07 PM
Board Sponsor

Casting is easier and faster than swaging, a lot faster. There is a short lead up to getting them all the same weight, no wrinkles, etc.. But that part of the art is fast to learn. I cast from the little 17 cal to the .577 and each mold has its likes and dislikes. About the same as each die has its certain temp and pressure that it likes best.
info@reedsammo.com
Old 12-12-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william t. oviatt View Post
If not tried yet, the .22TCM 40 grain bullet is an impressively accurate & explosive bullet. It takes the little Hornet to a whole new performance level!.....And, they're cheap: $7/100... less, in bulk.

Bill

http://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/c...&category=TCM0
Just too add to Bill's post. That is a super buy on the 22 cal TCM bullet. Another bullets that is often overlooked is the Nosler 34 grain Shots bullet. It also is accurate and explosive in the small 22 caliber cartridges. A little more money, but not all that much, in 500 lots. Bill K
Old 12-13-2017, 11:58 AM

I just bought 3,000 of the Armscor 40gr JHP bullets. I'm excited to try them in my CZ 527 American K hornet. Will make a good fire forming bullet if nothing else. Gotta get some more brass formed for spring squeeks.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:04 PM
Board Sponsor

I've used both the 40g SP and the 39g HP both work great both in accuracy as well as for small game. They are the least expensive option if you don't cast.
info@reedsammo.com