Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 08-16-2018, 05:22 AM

Default a question on neck tension

lets pretend any bullet diameter is small bore, if its under 11mm.

Im starting work on a cast lead squirrel load for my little .308. I got some bullets in the mail today. true shot bullets sized to .309 at the factory. I stood a case from a factory Remington load fired in my gun, up on the desk and the bullet simply falls through.
Is that good or bad? I also got some speer TMJ in .308 that do the same thing.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:07 AM

That's normal. The brass is expanded after firing and needs to be resized. After resizing, the neck will be reduced and will hold the bullet.

Since you're using cast bullets, you'll need a die to bell the case mouth so lead is not shaved off the bullet when you are trying to seat it. Something like the Lyman M-Die which can be found at all the usual places.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands...ng-m-dies.html
Old 08-16-2018, 01:52 PM
Supporting Member

And, a neck bushing die may be in order to get the necks small enough to hold the bullets. That way, it's adjustable.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:46 AM
Supporting Member

Hi there,

Without writing a book on the subject. Size your cases as usual. .309 dia. bullets are fine. You did not say if the bullets were plain base or gas checked. Dittohead is correct, you will need flare the case mouth slightly, I usually flare just enough that about 3/4 of the gas check will be below the case mouth. I use Lee's little Universal expander.

Seating depth will have a effect on accuracy. If the slug is long enough, and the throat short enough, start out with seating about 0.030" into the lands. I have not had any problems with jamming a lead bullet and pressure issues, have gone up almost 0.10" into lands, the lead will deform as it seats into the lands.

Should be able to expect 1-2" at 100yds or depending upon the bullet. Heavier/longer slugs generally shoot better better than light stubby ones and gas checked ones better than plain base. You will likely find the best accuracy in the 1600-1800 fps range with gas checked bullets. With plain base bullets you will be limited to about 1400-1500 in max velocity, with gas checks depending upon alloy +2000 fps is not out of the question, but that takes load tinkering, bullet fit, alloy, powder selection to new level to get things to shoot well, I am not that anal.

If you can let me know a few more details on the bullet, I can check my notes and see what I have shot that is comparable and has worked. One other item, cast bullets will not melt in the barrel. Period.

Hope this helps.

Michael.

Last edited by AzSam; 08-17-2018 at 02:18 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:23 PM

Oregon trail true shot 170 gas checked flat points.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:48 AM

For a squirrel load, I'd try either the Lyman or RCBS carbine bullet, somewhere around 115 grains depending on alloy, behind Unique or Trail Boss powder. I didn't check this out, but I'd bet the Lyman Cast Bullet manual will have load data like this. If you don't have access to those bullets, PM me. I have the molds, but may or may not have any made up at the moment.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:29 AM
Supporting Member

Thank you for the info.

The closest thing around that weight that I have tried is AA5744 with the Lee TL312-16-2R sized to .309 lubed with LBT blue. Cast out of wheel weights and Hornady gas checks, weighing in around 165grs.

Best results were with 20.0grs at 1664fps and 23grs at 1872fps. Both shoot just a little over an inch at 100yds, through a stock Rem 700ADL. Rem 9 1/2s, LC cases. COL 2.767".

In looking over my data from a few years ago, the RCBS 30-150-SP shot equally well with the above charge weights giving similar vels. Win WLR, COL at 2.720in put them 0.040" into the lands. Sized to .309. LBT Blue. LC cases.

Let me know how things go.

Michael.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:05 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

Patrone, Uebung, 7.62x51mm DM18A1B1

https://www.ammoboard.com/rifle-ammo...o-1000-rounds/

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Last edited by RareBear; 08-23-2018 at 06:01 AM.