Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-06-2018, 03:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter
Default how many started your centerfire varmint hunting with a 222 rem

this will probably show the age of the forum. I started 57 years ago with a 222 rem and now have gone full circle back to the 222. there is just something about how easy it is to get a 222 rem to shoot and the magnificent job it does.
neve have had a warm fuzzy feeling for the 223 with it's short neck. if you take the 222 and increase the dimensions it is a shrunk down 30-06.

I do think the 222 was a little more popular in the east, Midwest and Europe where distances didn't get stretched quite so far as they do out west.

Last edited by foxhunter; 11-07-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:51 AM

Default How many started your varmint hunting with a 222 Rem?

Over 70 years ago, started my varmint hunting with a pump 22 short Winchester, shooting rats and turtles along the levees in the Sutter basin/Robbins area. But the next rifle I did obtain was a Savage in 222 Rem. So may not have actually started my varmint hunting with a 222, but it sure was second on the list. My still add a 20 or 17-222 to the varmint calibers I now shoot, as I really enjoy various 20 and 17 caliber one's. Bill K
Old 11-06-2018, 04:51 AM

I started back in the 70's with a little Sako L461 in 223 because I was biased towards the 223, yes I know some people cannot be told what's good. Two weeks ago just bought my first 222 and am going to the range tomorrow morning to see how it shoots.

Pete
Old 11-06-2018, 11:02 AM

I killed my first Ghog with a 222, it was a Remington 722 that belonged to my dad. It was a neat gun with a 6 power weaver scope. Dad sold it to buy a 270 Win for deer hunting. I am pretty sure he got $60.00 for it. Money was tight back then, we each had a rifle and a shotgun. After the 222 went away I used my model 88 win in 308 for Ghogs, I didn't get many crawlers if I hit them. The good old days.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:20 PM

Default The first centerfire I bought myself...

Was a Remington 700BDL in .222Rem.,that was a little over 40 years ago and I remember looking at a loaded factory round thinking what a big case for such a little bullet.It was the beginning of a love affair for sure.Now a lot of the cartridges I shoot are based on the .222Rem and even smaller bullets
I sure think it is a dandy and will always have one or more in my collection.
Lots of woodchucks and crows met there demise because of that rifle.Later on when I discovered the gunshop where I bought my first 222 had a separate section for varmint rifles I bought another BDL in 222 it was the Varmint Special,pure beauty for sure.I even remember seeing a 40-X in .220swift for $800- and thinking “too much for me”If I could go back in time with today’s money I would have a field day.
Matt
Old 11-06-2018, 12:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Over 70 years ago, started my varmint hunting with a pump 22 short Winchester, shooting rats and turtles along the levees in the Sutter basin/Robbins area. But the next rifle I did obtain was a Savage in 222 Rem. So may not have actually started my varmint hunting with a 222, but it sure was second on the list. My still add a 20 or 17-222 to the varmint calibers I now shoot, as I really enjoy various 20 and 17 caliber one's. Bill K
That's funny Bill, I grew up just south east of poplar bluff mo. out in the mud flats. they have a drainage with levee every mile and was a great place and time to grow up. Farm country and kids could roam anywhere and no one cared. shot my share of turtles, squirrels, rabbits and birds with a bb gun and 22lr. Caught my share of fish from those ditches as well.
city dump was only 1/4 mile away and had more than it's share of rats, bottles and cans to plink at. I can remember walking into the drug store at 12 years old and buying cci 22 amo without a question (prer-1968).
Old 11-06-2018, 04:17 PM
Supporting Member

My first deuce was actually my 3rd varmint rifle. Started with a Winchester model 43 in 22 Hornet. The rifle shot very well but the trigger was terrible. My second one was a 220 Swift. That rifle changed my whole perspective on varmint shooting. I could whack varmints further than I ever dreamed possible with the little Hornet. Then came the deuce as kind of an intermediate between the Hornet and Swift. It's been a down hill slide ever since. I believe I'm at 14 Varmint rigs but the only same caliber double I have is the deuce. I have traded or sold a couple of deuces but only to upgrade their previous slots in the gun safe. The deuce would be one of the last ones to go if I ever liquidated. The Swift would be the last...……………….
Old 11-06-2018, 04:25 PM

Default How many started your varmint hunting with a 222 Rem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
That's funny Bill, I grew up just south east of poplar bluff mo. out in the mud flats. they have a drainage with levee every mile and was a great place and time to grow up. Farm country and kids could roam anywhere and no one cared. shot my share of turtles, squirrels, rabbits and birds with a bb gun and 22lr. Caught my share of fish from those ditches as well.
city dump was only 1/4 mile away and had more than it's share of rats, bottles and cans to plink at. I can remember walking into the drug store at 12 years old and buying cci 22 amo without a question (prer-1968).
In Robbins, Ca, many moons ago, when I was around 8-9 yrs old my cousin and I would take magpie feet, into the store and the owner would trade us them for a box of rem 22 shorts, which we shot in the old Win pump.exposed hammer model. Good days and long gone as such for kids to grow up in, roam all over those canals, dikes and rice/wheat fields. Hell now days the word "Gun" scares the poop out of most people and god forbid the kid seen roaming with a "Gun" in his hand on a street or road. Bill K
Old 11-06-2018, 04:59 PM

Default 222

Not my first, but perhaps my favorite to this day. Started with my uncle's Savage in 25-20 for groundhogs. Then he would go with me and let me use his 222 in Remington 722 with 10X Weaver. Loved making those long 250 yard shots when I was 12

Since then have owned a shot many 222s Sakos Rem in Model 7, 700, 722 and 40X Very easy cartridge to produce accurate loads with variety of bullets an powder
Old 11-06-2018, 05:52 PM

My first CF chuck rifle was a 6.5 Rem. Mag. model 660.
My second CF chuck rifle was a heavy barreled .22-250 made up by P.O.Ackley
on a Model 98 Action - laminated mahogany(yes) stock with 2, 1/4" thick lams of aluminum separated by 3/8" strip of maple in the middle of the stock. Yeah - weird but cool colour and nicely finished. The design was 40X all the way & weighed 12 pounds.
3rd, all between 1966 & 1972, was a BRNO Fox .22 Hornet- started loading the 6.5.

I now have and have had if for about 10 years, a .222 Sako A1 - great shooting rifle with 36gr. Barnes, 40 Barnes and Vmax, 52gr. Bergers & Sierras, 55gr. Speer and Hornadys. Love it.