Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-06-2018, 09:52 PM

Default Primer failure

Not a small caliber, stevens 110 30-06, I loaded 40 rounds, 3 failed to fire. Thought it may have been a light primer strike. Still looked like it should of fired. Ones that did fire looked fine. Tried to fire these 3 rounds several times, at which point they were dented enough that they should have fired. These were cci large rifle bench rest primers that I just purchased. This is a used gun I just recently got. Cases were clean and not oil contaminated. Not sure of the problem and do not know much about savages.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:33 PM

Default Primer failure

Could just have been three bad primers out of the tray, but more than likely somehow you contaminated them in handling. Bill K
Old 11-06-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Could just have been three bad primers out of the tray, but more than likely somehow you contaminated them in handling. Bill K
I dumped them from container straight onto tray of lee primer.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Same thing happened to me Rem 700. Turned out it was a weak firing pin spring. My buddy had the same caliber and my shells fired in his gun but not mine. Swapped out the spring good to go.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:15 PM

Have you dissembled and cleaned the bolt? Used gun it could be dirty.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintshooter View Post
Have you dissembled and cleaned the bolt? Used gun it could be dirty.
Took the screw out the back and sprayed some carb cleaner thru the bolt, did not disassemble yet. May purchase a heavier wolf firing pin spring.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:25 AM
Supporting Member

Don't blame the primers till you can PROVE they're defective!! Pop (push) the primers out of the pockets. Put them on a hard surface and do the "hammer thing". Check them over real good before you smack them. Could have been defective but my guess is they're OK. Not set deep enough to go POP when hit? 3 or 4 out of 40? Could be that the shoulders were set back "too far", case gets pushed forward by the firing pin and you get a lite strike??? Couple more tries and the primer is damaged beyond BANG.
I've gone thru maybe 5000+ LR CCI BR primers as well as SR BRs + Mil Specs large and small with no issues. Ran into the same issue and tracked it down to a head space issue. Shoulders pushed back too far and wound up with lite strikes on a few cases.
Once fired and the shoulders blown forward, no more issues and I made sure the shoulders didn't get pushed back too far AGAIN. No issues on my 5+ Savage rigs.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:54 AM

The cases were only party resized, I marked the shoulder with a marker and the die did not touch the shoulder. All but ten of these cases were fired in this rifle, and then annealed, then partly resized. Two of the three were cases not fired in this rifle. I do not like to bump shoulders at all when resizing. The neck was only resized on the front 2/3 of the case. Primers were set below level, firmly with a lee auto prime. Cases really looked like they should have fired. Can a primer be too dented to fire, or I guess what I saying is a primer only able to fire the first time struck, even if a light strike? As I said I recocked and tried to fire these cases again, and they were dented more than required.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:26 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Just put yourself in the position of a long haul truck driver.
Then report it to the dispatch, you'll get the proper answer there.

"drivers fault!!"

Toss 'em in the brass bucket and get on with life.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 11-07-2018, 12:53 PM
Supporting Member

"Can a primer be too dented to fire?" I would think so. If the cup gets smashed, it could push the anvil out of place enough that the primer material wouldn't go off. That's why I suggested you check the pushed out primers. See if they are burnt. Could have been contaminated from oil or water? Could be that "those" primers wern't seated all the way into the pockets, then firing pin pushed them all the way in. May look OK now other than having the crap punched out of them.
Give them a good look over and see if anything shows up.