Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2018, 07:07 PM
Supporting Member

Screaminweasil--I'm glad you enjoyed the story and thanks for the comment on my new rifle.

Bill K--You fellows with the 20VTs mentored me into this rifle and I KNOW I'm going to love it. I tried to look at your photos at the Community, but can't figure out how to get to your photos?????

17VLD--I'd like to try the VVN130, but there aren't many stores that stock it. For now, I'll continue with the H4198 and maybe try some of the AA2200 I have on hand. Can't say I'm looking forward to more back surgery, but I am scheduled to have the spinal cord stimulator leads installed on January 9, 2019, for the 5-day test run. They will remove it on January 14 and then I'll decide on whether I want the permanent one installed or not. I hope it works because I am sick and tired of being sick and tired

Tparrish--Thanks for letting me know you enjoyed my post.

Varmint Shooter--That's a sweet looking 20VT you built on the Rem XR-100. I really like the vented thumbhole stock. Do you have it set up as a repeater?

2skeet--Glad to hear the 32gr. Nosler FB Varmageddon bullets are working for you. I bought a box of 100 of them and haven't tried them yet. The 32 gr. V-Max work pretty good in this rifle and the 32 gr. Sierra BKs are a tiny bit more accurate than the V-Max, but more expensive too.

I also tried some of my 39 gr. Sierra BKs and they were accurate. I shot a number of my 40 gr. Nosler BT bullets as well, but will probably go with the 39 gr. SBKs because they shoot into nice little one-hole groups.

I'm sorry to hear you have back problems too. It is encouraging to hear that you thought the stimulator was of some help. It's a bummer that you got an infection. I hope I don't have that problem. I'll keep reporting on my situation as time goes by.

bburrell--I was happy to have you along on my outing, even thought it was only in spirit. I'm counting on good results from the spinal cord stimulator. I hated to waste all that good prairie dog meat, but they were so muddy I didn't pick any of them up to take home because I didn't want to contaminate my pickup with all their muddy bodies.

NRA Life Member
Old 11-15-2018, 07:15 PM

Silverfox The XR-100 is a single shot action. All my 20 VT's are set
up as single shots. Keeps the pace slower and a higher % of kills for me.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:52 PM

Default New 20 VarTarg build and its first ND PD hunt

Silverfox. Go into the picture/album under community, click on Bill K's neighborhood and they should all show. Bill K

Just a sidenote. You fellows should give the Nosler-cup/core hp's a try also in those 20& 17 calibers. Sold by Midwayusa as Dogtown and Midsouth Shooters as Varmint Nightmares. You will be surprised how well they shoot and they do put our squeeks, chucks, rabbits and even coyotes down, very well.

Last edited by Bill K; 11-15-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:29 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Howdy LeRoy:
Great to see you're still out n about even in the cold miserable weather up there.
Try a day under the rig thawing brakes covered solid with ice like I did at Lil America Whyhoming!! -39 56mph. Diesel #2 gelled in 20 min. Treads pulled off tires frozen to the ground. I got lucky and didn't lose any tires.

I enjoy reading about your little p/dog excursions.

Sure hope that TENS works for you. Had the test unit 8 days, seemed to do well. they kept having me turn it up, got to be too much and caused more problems than it helped. Three months on a two week promise of getting the perm unit installed.August 20, '18.

With these replaced shoulders I can't reach around like i used to. i explained it to the dr and pa that it "has to be within reach". Sure as hell, out of reach and recharging the internal battery is a real challenge. Many times I'm worn out trying to find that tiny particular spot to get the signal. Give up on it at times. Two days run time it takes some over two hours to charge up. Need to do it everyday/night. I have to lay on my back to do so.

Now with this new knee, I can't lay that way, so it's run down and not working most of three weeks now. Once the knee's healed enough it won't hurt so much. I'm sure it'll recharge and be good again. Does seem to lessen the back pains.

Just know ahead of time the settings can't be too high or it'll make the pain worse.

Girl explained they have way over a thousand settings to play with. So if it don't help, get in and have the programs changed. They didn't tell me that part til the second time in to change settings. Watch the charges to medicare for it. Shocking! $155,000, $90,000 for this toy! $1440 the first month to "monitor" it, half dozen times by text. they'll drive you nuts pestering about the settings. i had to get half nasty about so many contacts and surveys they kept sending.

best of luck with it all. I only fought back pains since Mar '85. Twice thru fusions L 3,4 & 5. Didn't help either.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 11-16-2018, 11:21 AM

Good to see you out Leroy. Don't get out there and be bouncing off the ground again this year;-). That is a good looking rig. Your cart has me thinking on one myself, a modified golf bag cart that can be folded up. Along with solid tires as there is a lot of cactus.

I also have a rifle like you used in your build. It is a 223, it shoots ok but not near what I had wished for. I am waiting on 17 Remington barrel to spin on a Savage action. High hopes for it. I may wish I had went with a lighter contour barrel, full bull was ordered. The Choate tactical stock is getting filled with #8 shot, rig will probably end up at 30 pounds or so. I have other rigs for carrying.
Jeff
Old 11-16-2018, 01:33 PM

Default Rifle Carts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Good to see you out Leroy. Don't get out there and be bouncing off the ground again this year;-). That is a good looking rig. Your cart has me thinking on one myself, a modified golf bag cart that can be folded up. Along with solid tires as there is a lot of cactus. Jeff
Google rifle carts. There are a bunch of different ones out there. I have thought about doing the same thing.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:00 PM

Fantastic as always. You always make it like we are there. Glad to see another fan of the right bolt left port Savage. They are perfect for a varmint rifle.

Last edited by moorepower; 11-19-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:37 PM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Go FOUR wheels and avoid tipping things over in the mud and rocks.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 11-18-2018, 08:17 PM
Supporting Member

Great to see you got out at least one more time. I found out that my 20 VT won't shoot worth a hoot if the suppressor is a little bit loose, duh. It’s a converted rem 204 sporter bbl adl..Will send along an extra prayer your way for a successful operation. Have a great Thanksgiving, Tom.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:08 PM

Default 20vt

Here is a picture of my 20VT. XR100 action with a 26" Pacnor barrel.