Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 04-10-2013, 03:06 AM

I was hoping a thread of this nature would appear and here it is. I must admit I am a bit enamored with the gents in this thread.

I have alway been looking for the "best" type of lube that is out there, especially when I talked with Tim on the phone. Ever since I have wondered what the orange gue that he used is made out of.

I find myself starting to realize exactly what he told me. "It is not about exactly what I use. It is about what and how it works for your dies!"

I will continue to follow this thread and hope that there is a secret formula out there. Until then I will stick with plain old anhydrous lanolin.

George, I hope recovery is swift for you. Stephen, thank you for starting all of these fantastic threads. Tim, as always thank you for all of your knowledge shared with me.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:43 AM
Supporting Member

When I bought my dies (used) I got a small tub of lubricant and a syringe with some of the same lubricant in it, this was supplied by Mr Neimi (so I was told). I also got a large tub of anhydrous lanolin in the package when I got everything.

The seller used a Thumbler tumbler (the big red one) and told me he just spread the lube on the inside of the drum (it has a black insert in the steel drum).

He told me to use 9.5gr, then changed that to 9gr and in a latter email said 7.5gr, pour in a bucket of jackets and let them tumble for 2 or 3 hours.

These instructions left me a bit puzzled to say the least, as it is different to what I've read elsewhere......doesn't take much to confuse me at times.......Kiwi
Old 04-28-2013, 02:24 AM

Kiwi
Several here have talked about lube and how to apply the lube. If you want to try my lube it is 3 parts anhydrous lanoline 1 part vaseline warmed up to combine. There are several other lube formulas that work good too.

I use a gallon Mason jar to tumble my jackets 15-20 minutes. Using a Thumbler Tumbler is fine to apply lube to jackets but 2-3 hrs tumbling seems excessive. Maybe someone that uses a TT can give you their time with the tumbler.

Kiwi you been reading and asking questions for awhile about bullet making. Now that you bought dies tell us what brand you bought, caliber, and what presses do you plan on investing in. Congratulations on buying your dies.

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 04-28-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:50 AM
Supporting Member

I bought some used 6mm Neimi dies, both BT and flat base, with 3 point up dies, the dies came with 3 RCBS Rockchucker II presses, the thumbler tumbler, a set of bullet trays, lube, some J4 jackets and 3 different weights of formed cores.

After weighing the cores and jacket they would make a pretty heavy bullet, just over 68.5gr. using the lightest core and over 60gr using the heaviest. I can only assume the cores were used in a lighter jacket.

There were no bullet making notes that came with the setup so have been trying to figure out how to set up the dies, and not damage anything........there are no mentors here in NZ........Kiwi
Old 04-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Supporting Member

Ian, that's way to much lube for carbide I don't even use 1/2 that for 30's I lube twice once to core seat around .5 grs per k on 6mm. tumble for 15 minutes. core seat then tumble in towel and relube using 1-1.5 grs to point up tumble 5 mins. the whole thing to remember is you actually want the jacket to grab the inside of the die to pull off punch ie. enough pressure to fill jacket but not over stress jacket. so less lube is needed for the core seat operation. for point up I use the minimal amount for easy ejection, this also helps fill out die properly. we take a lot of pains to produce dies as round as we can the expand up theory doesn't leade itself so well on carbide, it was necessary on steel not on carbide. george
Old 04-29-2013, 09:49 AM
Supporting Member

George, what do you tumble your jackets in?
You mention tumbling in a towel, is this to remove lube after core seating?

Do different types of lube require different amounts? Ian
Old 04-29-2013, 06:22 PM

Kiwi:

I also have the large Model B Thumbler Tumbler for lubing the cores and jackets. I use a Folger plastic coffee can with its plastic lid which I place inside the drum to hold the cores and jackets. I use a separate plastic can for the cores and jackets. The Folger can has a recessed handle as part of the can which acts as a vane inside the can that helps to rotate the cores and jackets. The can is easy to remove and you do not have lube on the rubber liner of barrel of the tumbler. I put a small amount of lube on the inside of the plastic can and then briefly heat with a hair dryer. I then place the cores or jackets in the can and again heat briefly with the hair dryer. I only tumble for 10 minutes. I use a lube mix of 50% lanolin and 50% vasoline which I initially heat to mix.

The Folger coffee can's diameter is a perfect fit, however, the depth of the tumbler barrel is deeper than the coffee can so I cut a piece of foam and inserted it into the bottom of the barrel. This gives a good fit and the coffee can remains secure in the barrel of the tumbler.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:48 PM
Supporting Member

Ian, I use a thumlers tumbler model b and place a one gallon glass jar inside of their tumbler, the jar has two plastic strips glued inside this flips jackets and keeps them moving around. the towel is to remove the excess junk that comes off jacket when core seating you will be very surprised at how much crap comes off even after washing. george
Old 04-30-2013, 07:39 AM
Supporting Member

George, do you wash your jackets prior to core seating?

If you do what do you wash them in? Do you wash your bullets at any other time?......Ian
Old 04-30-2013, 12:31 PM

I have been using a 50/50 mix of anhydrous lanolin and castrol oil for my lube. 5 grains on the inside of a jar add 1k of jackets and roll. I do the same for core seating and point forming. it is messy and I have been looking for a different lube.

From reading the post it appears that I may be using a bit too much. I also wipe mine with a towel between core seating and point forming. My towel usually looks like it has been dragged across the ground afterwards.