Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-01-2018, 02:49 AM

Default 17vrem brass?

What's you guys opinion on the best brass for the 17 rem these days? I had a 17 rem 20 some years ago using rem brass, but the gun went down the road and so did the brass. I'm going to pick up another one just to play with. What's your thoughts?

Thanks
Deano
Old 09-01-2018, 09:36 AM

Deano, I've had a 17 Remington in a custom built Cooper switch barrel for about 12 yr and it's one of my favorite rifles. I shoot 25gr Hornady moly hp's with a Max load of VV135 and Remington brass. Groups in .2-3's consistently and no problems with the brass.
I've used it for PD's and it does really good out to 500-550 yds.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:30 PM

So how is the norma brass? I know in my 6.5 Saum the primer pockets go out pretty quick. Anyone using it? How does it compare as far as case volume. Is there any other brass that people would suggest. Im all ears.

Thanks
Deano
Old 09-01-2018, 08:50 PM

Default 17 Rem brass ?

Maybe you don't want to form and fire form brass, but with the availability of 223/5.56 brass, obtain a set of forming dies and make some up from them. Bill K
Old 09-01-2018, 09:48 PM

223 cases are too short for making them into 17 rem., go with 204 ruger brass. as for primer pockets getting loose I'd say you on max or going over!
Old 09-01-2018, 10:20 PM

Tim, ive been reloading for almost 30 years and I know I'm not close to max, for some reason the 6.5 Saum is just really rough on primer pockets. Im was running about 150fps slower then max loads. I know some hornady brass doesnt make 2 firings before they're shot. I'm just curious if I am going to run into this issue with the 17 rem with Norma brass. It just doesnt seem like they make thinks like they use to. I'm testing Bertram 6.5 saum brass now and with a stiffer load then what I run in the norma right now by almost 3 grains I'm on the 4th reloading and the pockets are still like virgin, tight.

I had thought about the forming dies as the only brass out there is Norma and if you can find it maybe remington. I saw there is a guy making them out of 223 brass and selling them for 40 bucks 100ct. But I dont know what his starting brass is.

I'd love to find a couple hundred virgin remington brass.

Deano

Last edited by Xdeano; 09-02-2018 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Decided to add up my years...
Old 09-01-2018, 11:07 PM

I purchased some Norma 17 Remington brass and the case capacity is 1.5 to 2.0 grains of Varget less than the Remington brass. Don't know if anyone else has had this same experience.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:43 AM

300meter,
Norma brass does tend to have a slight bit less case capacity then brass of the same size from what I have found shooting 243 Norma, remington, lapua, as well as the 6.5saum and 338 norma mag using norma brass and Peterson.

I kinda figured that thr 17 rem would be the same. I found a couple Hundred rem brass and bought them this afternoon.

Xdeano
Old 09-02-2018, 01:39 PM

I have purchased the High Plains formed 17 rem brass. I shoot it through my Ar in the winter so I don't worry about losing it in the snow. It is a few thousandth short initially and doesn't have the case capacity of Remington brass. I easily shoot 1/2 moa through the Shilen barrel with that brass, even the first firing which will smooth out the necks. This summer I took the rifle out to shoot prairie dogs, I shut the gas block down and hand ejected the brass after a few seconds, after returning I loaded up a batch of Woodchuck den 25 gr, planning to shoot some coyote this winter and see how that bullet works for Red Fox hides. With Imr 4320 those bullets were one ragged hole at 100 yds. So don't be afraid of using 556 brass for 17 rem forming. High Plains would probably leave the necks long for you to trim, but I just wanted to neck size and shoot.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:06 PM
Supporting Member

I've used Remington 17 Rem brass since I bought my first rifle in the early 1970's. It hasn't failed me yet in any way.

You can shoot reformed 5.56/223 brass, but its about 0.040" short, and for me I'd rather have brass that is just long enough for the rifle chamber to avoid as much possible gas blasting directly on the ends of the barrel lands as possible. Some rifles have long chambers anyway, but adding to it with short brass in a high intensity cartridge isn't in my deck of cards. YMMV.

As noted earlier, if you plan to reform, use 222 RM or 204 Ruger brass to get full length 17 Rem brass. The 222 RM is the direct parent of the 17 Remington.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 09-02-2018 at 04:00 PM. Reason: spacing.................and moved decimal on number....