Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-03-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiallen View Post
Why don't you click on their add and ask what they currently are using?

Nothing better than asking the company directly for an answer to what brand brass they are using ,,,,,

http://www.highplainsbrass.com/
I didn't ask them directly for a couple of reasons.
1. Typically companies are very busy and tend to take a while to respond back. If there are members here currently using it is quicker.
2. If guys are using them and like the product they'll respond quickly and you'll get a more unbiased opinion on the brass
3. I'm not just benifiting myself by asking the question, I'm benefiting everyone else that reads this post, especially if I get a reply from the company or satisfied customers. Instead of just me finding out from the company and keeping it to myself.

Xdeano
Old 09-03-2018, 12:42 PM
Supporting Member

HUH..?? I'm lost here...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeano View Post
I didn't ask them directly for a couple of reasons.
1. Typically companies are very busy and tend to take a while to respond back. If there are members here currently using it is quicker.

If they want your business, I've always found vendors to respond very quickly with the latest information on products. If no one here uses the product you're interested in, how long are you willing to wait for a non-response?

2. If guys are using them and like the product they'll respond quickly and you'll get a more unbiased opinion on the brass

Two typical internet responses:

1. I think its the best thing going since sliced bread...!! Unbiased? Informative?

2. I think it sucks...!! Unbiased? Informative?

3. I'm not just benifiting myself by asking the question, I'm benefiting everyone else that reads this post, especially if I get a reply from the company or satisfied customers. Instead of just me finding out from the company and keeping it to myself.

I just called company xyz and they told me they use abc brass. (It took me all of 15 seconds to type that. Now the internet knows...)

Xdeano

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 09-03-2018, 02:39 PM

I measured every one of my LC formed "High Plains" brass (200 pieces) and none of it is "short." This was from the factory as is. I annealed and also neck turned mine. The claim that the necks are only .011", the same as factory was more like .012" thick average on the batch that I got from them. But, none of the cases OAL were short", they were exactly what they show in their picture at minimum trim length of 1.786.".......or within a few thousands of that number.

This comes directly from their website.

"
17 Remington brass converted from once fired military 5.56 using a 4 forming die process. Cases have been full length sized and primer pockets have been swaged. Case minimum and maximum length along with all other specifications are to SAAMI specifications for 17 Remington and verified using an L.E. Wilson case gauge.

The wall thickness of the necks is .011". The same as the thickness of a factory .17 Remington case.

The cases have been full length sized but it is recommended to neck size the brass during reloading to ensure proper tension on the bullet. Cases will also benefit from annealing and fire forming."

I actually found 100 virgin cases purchased from them that I haven't fired yet.

I've only shot 100 of them (out of the 200 I ordered several years ago). Some of this is twice fired now, most once fired/fire formed.

Proof is in the pudding. Anybody else here actually shoot this brass, cause it isn't short.

You all are missing out I guess.

Out of 100 cases from "high plains" that I haven't fired, straight from them, the shortest measured is 1.783".

Here is a batch of "once fired" loaded up, these four fired cases shown in this picture would then be 2x fired.

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 09-03-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:59 PM

Default 17 Remington brass

I also have bought some High Plains brass and it has and is working just fine. The only thing I did notice is that the necks are on the thick side and they do need neck trimmed down. I trim my cases to .011 or .012 and have no issues. Bill K ( NOTE- If you check out their website, they give info re: their company and the use of mostly lc/military brass for their sizing processes on various calibers.)

Last edited by Bill K; 09-03-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:35 PM

Thank you for the info screaminweasil and bill k. I appreciate it.

I'm just going to ignore that other post. If I cant say anything good, I just wont say anything at all.

Xdeano
Old 09-03-2018, 05:25 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminweasil View Post
I measured every one of my LC formed "High Plains" brass (200 pieces) and none of it is "short." This was from the factory as is. I annealed and also neck turned mine. The claim that the necks are only .011", the same as factory was more like .012" thick average on the batch that I got from them. But, none of the cases OAL were short", they were exactly what they show in their picture at minimum trim length of 1.786.".......or within a few thousands of that number.

This comes directly from their website.

"
17 Remington brass converted from once fired military 5.56 using a 4 forming die process. Cases have been full length sized and primer pockets have been swaged. Case minimum and maximum length along with all other specifications are to SAAMI specifications for 17 Remington and verified using an L.E. Wilson case gauge.

The wall thickness of the necks is .011". The same as the thickness of a factory .17 Remington case.

The cases have been full length sized but it is recommended to neck size the brass during reloading to ensure proper tension on the bullet. Cases will also benefit from annealing and fire forming."

I actually found 100 virgin cases purchased from them that I haven't fired yet.

I've only shot 100 of them (out of the 200 I ordered several years ago). Some of this is twice fired now, most once fired/fire formed.

Proof is in the pudding. Anybody else here actually shoot this brass, cause it isn't short.

You all are missing out I guess.

Out of 100 cases from "high plains" that I haven't fired, straight from them, the shortest measured is 1.783".

Here is a batch of "once fired" loaded up, these four fired cases shown in this picture would then be 2x fired.

When they first became a household word here several years ago, I called them and asked about their 17 Rem brass, and I inquired how they were able to take a case with a SAAMI spec of 1.760" and come out with a case that measured 1.796" SAAMI with a recommended min trim length of 1.786".

I was told in an irritated manner, as if I wasn't the first person to ask the question, that they use a special 4 die process (which I notice is stated on their web site) that slightly "squishes and stretches" (not my words) the case body to get the full length. I have no idea if that is what they are doing, but at that point I thanked the guy I was talking to and went on my way.

After getting off the phone, I took 5 LC 5.56 MM military brass cases and I necked them down with a crush fit false shoulder and measured the final product. They were ~0.004" (four thousandths) longer IIRC than what I started with which was not surprising since they were necked down. I then fire formed the brass with a firm bolt closure on the false shoulder to insure no case stretching in one of my 17 Rem rifles and the fire formed brass all ran approximately ~0.040" short.

In the above process that I have used for forming numerous cartridges from a parent case, I know that I had not stretched the case body or what ever else in any way to get full length cases.

For me, finding actual 17 Rem brass is worth the little bit of extra effort compared to using brass that has been "squished and stretched" (again not my words) to make it into something it wasn't designed to be, IMO, due to different case lengths of which the "parent" is shorter than the actual cartridge being created.

I'm not trying to disparage a sponsor or anyone who uses their products, but I am quoting what I was told versus what I am comfortable with with my face behind the rifle action. And when it comes to safety, I will at least mention "issues" so that folks are aware whether anyone wants to see them stated or not.

This is JMO, but I'm not into shooting brass that has been stretched in some manner, especially in a small caliber high pressure case with an extremely fast pressure peak from zero to max pressure. If it works for you, great...!

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 09-03-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
HUH..?? I'm lost here...........

-BCB

Glad to help the OP, but I must say, I whole heartedly agree with Hal here concerning getting info from the horses mouth.

I also think it's pretty easy to sift through the BS, separating the shooters from internet experts.

I often take both approaches to getting questions answered, but contacting the manufacturer has never been a bad thing in my experience.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:49 PM

Kudos to HighPlains brass. For figuring out how to make quality 17 Remington Brass from LC brass (which has way tighter and stronger primer pockets than Federal .223 crap....FACT, not fiction).

Also, being "new" to the .17 remington. I bought my CZ Varmint at a time when Remington Branded 17 Rem brass couldn't be found ANYWHERE.

Short of paying $1.25 a piece for Norma at the time, no other options were available.

I don't regret my purchase. Now, I don't have many firings on this brass, but can't see how it's not going to last me a minum 10 reloads pretty easily, and at $40 per 100, no brainer.

I have over 30 reloads on a batch of 5.56 LC brass without fail, annealing every fifth firing. Pockets are still tight with 26.0gr H335 and 52 grain Speer HPs. Try that with any other .223 branded casing.....particularly Federal. (I had federal .223 that only lasted 2 loadings before primers literally were falling out).

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 09-03-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:37 PM
Supporting Member

I have shot a load that chronys at 3950 fps for years (since the early to mid 1970's) utilizing nothing but Remington factory brass in 17 Remington. The only brass I've lost over the years was due to case neck splitting during sizing, when I didn't anneal case necks often enough, which can be expected from a hgig pressure and high heat small bore cartridge.

Never once have I lost a single piece to primer pocket expansion. FACT. And that encompasses 15 different rifles including four that I now have.

There is no doubt that Lake City brass is good stuff. I just don't want mine stretched to get me somewhere. All of this reminds me of the occasional post where someone has a cartridge blow up, ruining a rifle and/or injuring a person. In many of those cases you see, "I never saw a hint of any pressure signs even though the load is .5 grain (pick a number) over anything published, and then this happens? How was I to know"? And I never fire cases that have been stretched by excessive head space or any other process.

Someday I'll probably die still feeling that way.......... YMMV

-BCB

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 09-03-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
I have shot a load that chronys at 3950 fps for years (since the early to mid 1970's) utilizing nothing but Remington factory brass in 17 Remington. The only brass I've lost over the years was due to case neck splitting during sizing, when I didn't anneal case necks often enough which, can be expected from a hihg pressure and high heat cartridge.

Never once have I lost a single piece to primer pocket expansion. FACT. And that encompasses 15 different rifles including four that I now have.

There is no doubt that Lake City brass is good stuff. I just don't want mine stretched to get me somewhere. All of this reminds me of the occasional post where someone has a cartridge blow up, ruining a rifle and/or injuring a person. In many of those cases you see, "I never saw a hint of any pressure signs even though the load is .5 grain (pick a number) over anything published, and then this happens? How was I to know"? And I never fire cases that have been stretched by head space of any other process.

Someday I'll probably die still feeling that way.......... YMMV

-BCB

Funny thing is I was actually referencing Federal 223 brass primer pockets vs LC 5.56 quality............

Said Remington, cause were talking .17 rem. (my bad).

I have actually as much experience with Remington 223 cases or Remington brand 17 Rem cases as you do with "high plains"......which is NONE.

I actually use Remington branded brass in several chamberings and like it quite a lot, but never shot Rem 223 or Rem 17 remington.

Boy, I woke up to early this morning evidently.

Now, to go back and edit my post to reflect Federal cases in .223. The one time I tried those, pockets loosened up in 2 loadings, never again in .223 at least.

I only posted to illustrate that high plains 17 remington brass was NOT short as someone indicated previously. But, Alas, my sample size is only of 200 pieces. If I would have been able to find Remington brand .17 rem brass 3 years ago, I'm sure I'd be using it instead, as I've had fine success with Remigton branded cases in other chamberings.

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 09-03-2018 at 08:16 PM.