Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-11-2018, 04:24 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld
Default Dad was over

A couple years before he died.
I always have a gun or six laying around in sight.
He asked to see them. Somewhere along the line
he mentioned that he figured I had around 30 or so
and was curious which they'd be.

We spent several hours handling and looking various
guns over. Wish he could see the oldies I've picked up
the last 7-8 years. That was before I got a B/P rifle.

Don't know where they come from, recently I've attached to
3 bp pistols: .40, .45 , 50, a Walker Colt and a smaller one plus
a new .54 Hawken. Quite a few newer higher priced rifles. Some
he financed.

Seems they self breed as the numbers increase.

Any of you guys have the same problem?

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 11-11-2018, 12:05 PM

Don't ever buy a TC Contender!

They say you go full circle. At about 11-12 I was infatuated with dads model 75 Winchester. Took my hunter safety coarse and qualified with the 75. The gave trophys away and I took first place. The target fell too pieces long ago, still have the trophy and the rifle.
My first recolver was a SW 29, also was the first gun I ever purchased on my own. I killed several deer with it. Then entered into a TC. Had seen pictures in magazines but never up close or held one. That was pretty much my down fall.
The most at one time I would guess about a dozen frames and 25-30 barrels. This in turn involved me in IHMSA.
Marriage,kids.......then a divorce pretty much depleted everything for a while.
Back into shooting. Joined a gun club. Got back into my IHMSA shooting with a big interest. TC,BF,MOA, XP-100 and FA were all on my list. Have had or still have them.
Shot several FA's over the years but just seemed like I could never get enough $$$$ saved up to go through with one. Finally did and in short order the second appeared. I will have a 41magnum in one sooner or later. I can't say enough good about them, they just shoot extremely well.
SW and I had a head butting contest. I got mad and sold all but a scant few. My habit of never throwing anything away paid big dividends, I had all the boxes the SW came in.
I promptly reinvested all of that wheel gun money in Ruger products and have not looked back.
I got back into some varmint shooting and that is how I ended up here. Three 527's in one year. Bought a couple of savage rifles to do some barrel swaps. Bought one and the gent found out I was going to tear it down and toss the barrel. He begged and warned me to shoot it first. Never should have as it is as good a shooter as a custom I have.
The 17 Remington being one of the 527's. A good rifle but not what I wanted. So, a build was started this fall. Should have a new Shilen select 1-9" twist about February.
Do we see a pattern here? I may need professional help of some sort.
Jeff
Old 11-11-2018, 01:24 PM

Certainly glad I don't have that concern. My FFL dealer called yesterday and informed me that the lastest aquisitions arrived. Figured I should pick some up as I already had several others at his shop that I hadn't had a chance to pick up. Nine walked out the door before I was done. Yikes. Still not done with the what was there. Nope, not a problem here.

BTW, no TC Contender here, just a lonely Encore that started as a muzzle loader and now has several friends.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:44 PM

Whew.... I thought I had a problem when I brought home the second gun safe.

But that’s nothing..
Old 11-11-2018, 05:45 PM

When you know you have the affliction.... a large percentage of what you have has not been fired and has a good chance of remaining that way. Admitting that seems to be a bigger problem.... What to do???
Old 11-11-2018, 07:27 PM

I have had in years past, NIB unfired examples. They saw daylight maybe a nice or twice a year wiped down and put away. A fair chunk of change for a play pretty. I got out from under them, actually made a bit on them. Anymore I refuse to buy somthing that I will not shoot. I have a Broughton built model 7 in 350 Remington magnum that I finally got around to shooting just a month ago.

Neil, you can get a bunch and I mean a bunch of TC barrels in a 36 gun safe.

I may invest in another 24 gun if I TSC or local farm store has a good Black Friday sale. The cost of one good gun safe is about the cost of a decent rifle or good piece of glass. The piece of mind is worth it. Dad always said a lock just keeps the honest people honest.
Plasma cutters that are portable and about the size of suit case and the skill saw looking saws would make short work of one. Still better than hiding and stashing all over the house. A good older friend that passed two years ago, wife is still finding guns and ammo all over the house. He must of had a half dozen Commanders and 2-3 times that many P-38's! All loaded. She said she always wondered why his sock drawer was so heavy.

I quit my volunteer service of moving safes! One Black Friday about ten years ago we moved 14 safes in two days,lol. They were Cannons/Libertyand below dealer cost. We loaded them all on one trailer. Six of them went to one house!
That was the day I decided I would never own a split level house. There was not a ground level walk in door. Go in the front door you have to go up steps to it, then, inside you either go up or down. Go in the basement there were stairs after going down a hall way. Go to the back door, a bunch of stairs to get up on the deck and then in the door.
Golf balls and plastic heavy wall plastic pipe are your friend. BB's do ok on good smooth concrete. As long as their are no staples in the box, the card board will slide on the carpet pretty nice.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:01 AM

I need to get a safe, then there won't be any excuse to
get guns out as they can't be reached most of the time.
Still makes for a neater place than guns and gun cases
all over the place, guns standing in the corners, boxes of
revolvers next to the dining table and loose guns in chairs.

Some day----------!!

AND NO TC's, never liked the looks of any they've made yet.

it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 11-12-2018, 09:58 PM

Wife said that I could only have one room unless we moved. I have strategically and somewhat not strategically packed it to the brim. All that is left is a u shaped path. Therefore guns will find a new home after I have decided that I am not going to shoot it or have another reason to keep it.

Not even room for another safe if I wanted. BTW, not interested in moving. She claims that it is going to take more time to move my stuff than the rest of the house. And..... My father in law has way more than me and I have been encouraging him to sell.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:41 AM

That's the trouble with being married and
letting her get the idea she's the boss of the place.

it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 11-13-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilA. View Post
Whew.... I thought I had a problem when I brought home the second gun safe.

But that’s nothing..
Yep for me the second gun safe helped a d lot, put the rest in the attic.