Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2012, 04:32 PM

Jim
Just like we talked about in our PM,,,, I'm not in agreement with the (break em down) shoulder shot theory either, but the fact remains that some folks still give it merit, and then whine about fur damage when they carry it over to predator hunting.

Truth is, some people just like to whine.

Kinda like me whining about no snow this season, and then bitchin about shoveling a foot of global warming off of my sidewalks and deck yesterday.

I'm a whiner, plain and simple.

Charlie
Old 01-19-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePete View Post
Jim
Just like we talked about in our PM,,,, I'm not in agreement with the (break em down) shoulder shot theory either, but the fact remains that some folks still give it merit, and then whine about fur damage when they carry it over to predator hunting.

Truth is, some people just like to whine.

Kinda like me whining about no snow this season, and then bitchin about shoveling a foot of global warming off of my sidewalks and deck yesterday.

I'm a whiner, plain and simple.

Charlie
Charlie,
You may be a whiner, but ya sure have some nice small caliber rifles. (even if they aren't camo'd) I can over look your whinin'.

Snow means better Predator hunting. What is not to like about that.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Supporting Member

On whitetail deer,elk, yotes etc, I agree that shoulder shots aren't needed, and that head or right behind the shoulder is the preferred target. I have however also shot a lot of bear, and moose. I will put up with a little meat loss that the shoulder shot creates to ensure they drop right where I shoot them. A moose going even 25 yards may mean the difference between dry land cleaning or doing it up to your waste in a Beaver damn. As far as Bears go, don't care at all about the meat loss and REALLY like them to drop where shot.

The game you are shooting has always dictated the bullet and caliber that would make the best choice. Larger game, and shooting through bone,does take heavier built bullets but it is not hard to find the right ones. Hornady and Barnes both make lots of bullets well designed for shoulder targets, and they also work well if you decide to use them behind the shoulder.

To those that say you can't kill a yote with a 17 or 20 caliber, we killed called yotes for years with 22LR, Hornets and 22 Mag. As you all well know, the centrefire 17s and 20s produce far more muzzle energy than any of those but you will never convince those that think you need a 300 mag to shoot whitetails of that. I don't even try to, because it is a waste of breath and time. Never let them drag you down to their level. :-)

Last edited by Dean2; 01-20-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:41 PM

Dean2,

You bring up a very good point and I can see why you would make shoulder shots on a Moose if you had to clean in waste deep water. I know Charlie has made a similar point to me also.
I'm still doubting that the average Joe has any need to make those kind of shots. I would venture to say that it has just become some sort of fad. I can see the reason for it if we're talking dangerous game (Africa) or as you pointed out, in the case of a Moose close to water. Heck, I made a behind the shoulder shot on a Coyote last year that was standing next to a pond and it jumped straight into the water, spun around and jumped back out and fell over. I probably should have made a shoulder shot then.

Just kidding.LOL