Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-07-2016, 01:06 AM
Supporting Member

Default for a one gun deal

i would lean toward a sako p94s varmint for the simple reason they are pretty accurate out of the box and you can do a barrel swap at home to make it even more accurate.if you go with an aftermarket barrel i would recommend a benchmark 2 groove made in washington state. they win lots of matches on custom actions.if you go with 2 guns to cover your plinking and match needs, the p94s is a great plinker and then a custom action like turbo,hall reworked suhl, 40x to name a few, with the benchmark of course.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:03 AM
Supporting Member

I believe the P94 and sako quad use the same barrel system? I thought Lilja and Sako barrels were all that was available.

I need a spare barrel for a 22 Mag Quad so I can shoot up my 17 HMR ammo in, curious if there are other options to get a good Quad barrel.

Cool rig Adam. I took the post to be asking if the $ was close to a Volquartzen, not the quality of your gun. Is that a stock pattern you make?

My factory 1976 Ruger 10-22, a bull kidd sst barrel, Kidd 2 stage trigger set below 10 ounces, and a Titan stock groups around .750 for 5 shots at 100 yards with everything but Remington hollow points. It has a crappy Redfield 4-12 that I need to return to Leupold, as it doesn't focus well at 100 yards except on 4x. No bullets touching, just a decent pattern good enough for squirrels.

It is my least-favorite squirrel rig due to whomping squirrels vs a satisfying thwack from a 17 hmr or 17hh and bigger.

Allen
Old 09-07-2016, 01:48 PM
Supporting Member

I don't see the old Winchester model 52 spoke of much. Is there a problem with them ?
Old 09-07-2016, 04:26 PM

Adam, What stock is that on your 10-22?
Old 09-07-2016, 06:08 PM

redrock, M52s are still great rifles, but they are heavy target rifles, and have gotten very spendy since Winchester left Connecticut. Even the reproduction M52 Sporters (Miroku made) are fairly expensive anymore. Go read the Winchester 52 sub-forum on Rimfire Central to learn more.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:06 PM
Supporting Member

Default great guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock ranger View Post
I don't see the old Winchester model 52 spoke of much. Is there a problem with them ?

but the trigger is the limiting factor,karl kenyon, the guy who made custom triggers for them has quit and you cant buy a jewell for them and any bench gun needs a 1.5 or 2 oz trigger to really be in the game.i have a few and they shoot great but the trigger limits it for me. all this is just one opinion.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:26 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburrell View Post
Adam, What stock is that on your 10-22?
Kkc out of Sweden.

Adam
Old 09-08-2016, 07:26 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburrell View Post
I have about 10 rimfire rifles in my collection. I really love my CZ 455 trainers for box stock shooters at a real affordable price. I have 3 of them for my boy scouts to shoot and usually choose one of them (vs. savage, ruger, marlin, rem) when I go out to shoot. They would do well in a Silhouette shoot. I plan to toy around with one of them by upgrading the stock and barrel. No guarantee that will make it a better shooter. The anschutz 1903 target or 64 mpr would be the place to start if I wanted to compete BR and still do some sport shooting. They are heavy and the 1903 is a single shot, so there are trade offs. They are both about $1,300 new. The model 1415 D beavertail may do double duty as a sporter and a "get your feet wet" target rifle. The type of competitive shooting you want to do would make a huge difference in the type of rifle you may want to purchased. I can't really see myself lugging around a real "target" rifle out sport shooting some ground or tree squirrels. There is lots of ammo right now, so it would be a good time to stock up on what works best in whatever rifle you choose. Best in your decision. Burt
Burt I'll bet large that one of Dan Lilga's quick change barrels with his Bentz chamber would shoot lights out! Check em out.

http://riflebarrels.com/shop/drop-in...cision-barrel/

I got a 455 Varmint in .22 Mag that shot well enough in factory trim but really desiring to see just how accurate a .22 Magnum could be I ordered his .22 Mag Varmint barrel, bolts on in a couple minutes and I'm a ten thumbed wonder. 5 shot groups at 50 yards with it shoot groups like these with boring regularity and .22 Magnums aren't even suppose to be accurate.

I shot this one at 100 yards and that's the smallest 100 yard .22 mag group I ever shot, I even yanked one low.

Down side is the barrel cost near what the rifle did but I sure like it! And it'd still be less then an Anschutz I'd guess, although the Anchutz'd be worth more later if ya went to sell it.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:07 PM

Doug, Yes, I am quite conflicted over a new Lilja barrel. I have the three CZ training rifles that all shoot quite well with factory setup. I have wanted to build one out with a stock that would better support either a target or nice sporting scope - sightron or weaver or leopold (the training rifle stock is designed more for the open tanget sights). Do I get a CZ 17hmr barrel or Lilja 22lr or 17hmr barrel? Am I going to use for targets, competition, plinking or squirrels? Decisions, decisions, decisions. I have read over on rimfirecentral that not all Lilja barrels are created equal and for $400 you may not improve much over a good factory barrel. Unfortunately, I can not speak from experience ...... yet. Philosophically, I am inclined to believe that a CZ 455 is not a target rifle and I should adjust my expectations to have/create a really nice sporting rifle and purchase a dedicated Annie 64 target model if I want to get my feet wet target shooting. All this logic gives way to emotion once I get to the rifle range and I start up with the "wonder if" thoughts again. Burt

PS. nice targets. I think that the greatest potential for improvement over a factory barrel is with either 22lr or 22mag. I really can not think that there is a better sporting rifle with open sights than the training rifles I currently have. They are really fun to shoot. the open tangent sights are so easy to get on target (vs. scope) and adjust out to 200 yards on larger targets. The only down side is trying to see and shoot really small targets (ground squirrels) over 35 yards. In the end, I hope to own at least one of everything. The only real problem is the order I purchase them in.

Last edited by bburrell; 09-08-2016 at 08:18 PM.