Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2011, 10:53 PM

Default 204 Kimber

I think I've ask this before, but thought I'd give it another shot. I'm getting ready to order a new Kimber Montana in 204 and would like to know if any of you have one and how was the accuracy? Also, I'll be using Talley Lightweight rings, so my next question is will the extra low rings work with a Leupold Ultralight 3X9?
If everything goes as planned I may be ordering 2 of these Montana's and rebarreling one of them to my all time favorite caliber, the 17 Rem.

I sure am anxious to hear from any one who has a Montana in 204.

K22
Old 02-03-2011, 12:59 AM
Banned

I don't have one, however when i was looking at purchasing one last year i kept hearing mixed reviews especially on the accuracy. I didn't hear anything terrible, however when i am spending a $1000 plus on a rifle i expect something accurate. I decided not to take the chance on a Kimber. I am sure someone else will kick in with some first hand experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K22 View Post
I think I've ask this before, but thought I'd give it another shot. I'm getting ready to order a new Kimber Montana in 204 and would like to know if any of you have one and how was the accuracy? Also, I'll be using Talley Lightweight rings, so my next question is will the extra low rings work with a Leupold Ultralight 3X9?
If everything goes as planned I may be ordering 2 of these Montana's and rebarreling one of them to my all time favorite caliber, the 17 Rem.

K22
Old 02-03-2011, 01:07 AM

I've heard the same mixed reviews also. Although I've heard nothing concerning the 204.
Heck, maybe I'll be the very first person to buy one.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:11 AM
Banned

Yep, someone has to be the guinea pig. Maybe if it works out good for you i will give one a try after all.

Quote:
I've heard the same mixed reviews also. Although I've heard nothing concerning the 204.
Heck, maybe I'll be the very first person to buy one.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:47 AM

K22 I cant help you with a report on a Kimber 204.But I did buy a Kimber Longmaster in a 243 a couple years ago. It didnt shoot well 1.5in. So i called Kimber and a lady said I could send it to them, but I would be responable for cost. ( I told her I wanted a new Barrel). So I sent the rifle to Kevin Weaver instead.If I had to pay for a new barrel I shouid get to pick it out.I had a Lija 26 Fluted 243AI 9 twist installed.It still dont shoot up to my expections .75 .I was hoping for sub .5 like my other weaver rifle(rem. 20 Tac). Allen
Old 02-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Supporting Member

Default sorta a story

I bought one of the first Kimber NY M84's, a varmint in 22-250. Bunch of stories were out about how they didn't shoot well, problems here, problems there. Regardless I was on the hook as I had ordered and paid for it. The plan was not to shoot it but to send it up to Mike Bryant to rechamber into a 22-250AI. If...an AI round would feed from the magazine and the existing chamber had no issues that would require cutting out a large portion of it. Plus I wanted Mike to look at the barrel and make a recomendation as to the quality of it. Bottom line the chamber was as good as Mike could make one and the barrel was slick with no machining marks. That Kimber will shoot inside .5" all day and feed from the magazine, no small feat for an Ackley round. With any factory rifle it's a crap shoot, I have 3 204's, 2 customs and 1 factory. The factory rifle is the most accurate, a Rem XR100. They all shoot under .5", the Rem is just the best.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ae35gunner

If you can practice a little "delayed gratification" you can go to http://www.ershawbarrels.com/ and build your own Mark VII rifle, then submit it for a quote. They use Savage Model 10/110 actions with Accutrigger for their rifles. I ordered a 20 VarTarg from Shaw last April 7th. It is being build with the matte stainless steel action and 24" matte stainless #3 (varmint contour) barrel, without fluting, and with an 11deg target crown. The stock I chose was the Pepper laminated (black and gray) stock which is a Boyd's JRS (Jon Sundra designed) stock and looks great with stainless steel. Their retail sales manager is Chris Murray (412-221-4343). The cost of my Mark VII 20 VarTarg was $825 + $30 shipping, all paid at the time of order. The only negative...a 1 year wait
Everyone should check out their list of calibers. It's quite impressive (17 Fireball to 458 Lott) and includes MANY past greats and wildcats (ex: 250 Ackley Improved Savage). This could be someone's answer for their own build, or for a son or daughter's graduation present (costs less and will last longer than a '69 Camaro)
Old 02-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Supporting Member

I've owned the classic, montana and varminter... all three were excellent. I regret selling them...

Quote:

K22
Old 02-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Default Have a Classic and a Pro-Varmint...

... and they are both accurate as well as quite nice looking.

The Classic was one of the first hundred, is in 22-250. It has one of the nicest triggers on it I've ever had, including ones I've had kissed by John Lewis of Carolina Precision Rifles.

The Pro-Varmint is in 223. I had picked up one in GreenTop Sporting Goods in Glenn Allen, VA, in 204 which had a trigger that was the equal of the 22-250. Should have taken it home. The 223 trigger wasn't quite as good, but did come around with just a little fiddling with the screw adjustments. It is also quite accurate (less than 3/4 moa), a bit moreso than the 22-250 (~3/4 moa).

Both of these guns carry really nicely. If it's definitely 22-250 windy weather, the 22-250 is probably in my hand. Shoots best with N-540 and 50 gr. Blitzkings.

The 223 likes N-133 and 40 gr. Blitzkings. I imagine the 204 would really like Benchmark and 39 gr. BKs.

I prefer the wood stock on the 22-250 Classic to the green laminate on the 223. Wish I'd ordered the 223 as a Classic with the wood stock instead. The wood on the 22-250 is really nice, but not more than AA.

I would feel that the 204 would be a nice rifle to have. BCs of the 223 50 gr BK is slightly lower than that of the 39 gr. BK, so should perform better than the 22-250 with less powder and recoil. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as well as beauty is as beauty does. I like mine.

If I got the itch to have another 204 (have a Browning A-Bolt), the Kimber Classic would be one of the leading candidates.

Alex
Old 02-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Supporting Member

Default Kimber

I own a Kimber Montana in 270 WSM. Very light easy handling rifle. As far as accuracy I am still working on that decision. 1" to 1.5" but I threw reloads together in a hurry did not work up any load. I killed a 17" Montana antelope at 341 yards, 1 shot one kill! That has been the only time it has been out of the safe. I need to work up a load and decide what my accuracy really is.
My Dad has a 204 Kimber it shoots .3s to .5s with factory ammo. Very acceptable.

BHB