Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2011, 10:40 PM

Default Kimber Montana

Well, I finally got a Kimber Montana in 204. My first impressions are, WOW!, why did I wait so long. With Talley LW rings and no scope, the rifle weights 5lbs. 6oz. The scope I'm sure I'll use is a Leupold VX3 1.75-6X32 and I think it weights in at 10oz.
The Carbon fiber stock comes Pillared from Kimber and the screws are torqued to 65"lbs. The trigger broke at 3lbs. 12oz. according to my gauge with zero take up and over travel. I reset it to 2lbs. 6oz. and it adjusted super easy.
I installed a 5-15X40 scope on it so I could work up some loads and test a few factory rounds. Needless to say, it did not like the handloads I had on hand that were for a Ruger Ultralight, but 3 rounds almost touching using factory Federal with the Sierra 39gr.
Tomorrow I'll start working on some handloads using the 35gr. Berger. I'll let you know how that works out.
I must say, this is one heck of a nice walk about Coyote rifle.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:04 PM

This thread is invalid without pix.

It just might be the "Perfect Coyote Rifle" though,, but without pix,, we'll never know.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:05 PM
Supporting Member

After all the negative feedback on Kimbers it is GREAT to hear about one that worked out prefect. All the best with the new gun.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:15 PM
Supporting Member

Congrats on the new toy. I think you will be very happy with the 35 grn. Bergers. I use them with 8208XBR With great results.

Aaron
Old 02-18-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePete View Post
This thread is invalid without pix.

It just might be the "Perfect Coyote Rifle" though,, but without pix,, we'll never know.
I will see about getting a picture up tomorrow.

Quote:
After all the negative feedback on Kimbers it is GREAT to hear about one that worked out prefect. All the best with the new gun.
I was a little skeptical at first, but lately I've heard a lot of good stuff about them.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long shot View Post
Congrats on the new toy. I think you will be very happy with the 35 grn. Bergers. I use them with 8208XBR With great results.

Aaron
I need to pick up some 8208XBR to try. H4895 has been my go to powder for the 204 with 35gr. Bergers. I just need to adjust the load I had for the Ruger.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Supporting Member

What thread....I don't see a thread...do you see a thread......Something about a Kimber.....I don't see it....it mustn't exist...........do you see it?....Not me....I don't see a thread..................

CZ 527 Magazine Modification

www.rvbprecision.com
Old 02-19-2011, 11:04 PM

Ok! I can take a hint.
Here's a few photo's. That huge scope really looks out of place on it, but it's what I was using to develop some loads.

I'm trying to decide which load to go with. With the rifle being so light this is as good as I can do using a 15X scope. Which load would you go with?

Old 02-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Supporting Member

I have several of the newer Yonkers Kimbers and find them very accurate. Have to admit I've not "heard" any negative about them being accurate. I like and prefer there stock adj. triggers over the Cooper adj. triggers. I don't own any small scopes so I think the one you have looks very proportionate on it.

Stuffing droppings into hornet nests, pushing sleeping turkeys out of trees, peeing on the backs of possums, slinging acorns at deer, and knocking coons from the trees with corn cobs since 1970.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:47 PM

Thanks RebelSquirrel.
I was pleasantly shocked how easy the Kimber trigger was to adjust. Sure wish some of the other gun companies would follow suite.
Normally, my big scopes are used on 22lr. rimfires. Most shots around here are under 50yds., whether its Deer, Coyotes, or Groundhogs. My scope settings generally stay on 3X, so anything over 8X is kind of a waste for me. Besides, a 5.5lb. rifle with a 5lb. scope doesn't balance to well.
As you noted, Kimbers do shoot and this one is no exception. None of the loads I shot showed any pressure signs and that surprised me with the 28.2gr. of H4895. That I think is going to be my Coyote load for this rifle.