Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-31-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Thats a nice looking cat and some good shooting. Thanks for the story!
Thanks Chad. A lot to be said for shooting sticks. Sometimes I wonder why I use variable scopes. I never moved this off of 3X when I shot that Cat.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:48 AM
Supporting Member

K22--I shoot 27.2 gr. of 8208 XBR out of a 26 inch barrel using the 39 gr. Sierra BK and get a muzzle velocity of 3,894 fps. So you are using .2 of a grain more powder with a bullet that is 2 gr. lighter, but with a barrel that is 4 inches shorter so my wild guess would be that your velocity is pretty close to 3,875 or so. Like I said, this is just a WAG with a tiny amount of overconfident extrapolation

NRA Life Member
Old 01-01-2012, 03:37 AM
Supporting Member

Nice story, shot and cat! Thanks for sharing K22!
Reckon the old adage to wind guessing, "When in doubt don't hold off the fur", proved out!
Old 01-01-2012, 05:54 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Good shot and great pics, thanks for sharing.
Impressive little hole, I like those results real well and looking fwd to making some of my own just like it.
That's a pretty colored cat, notice the great camo in those colorful leaves? bet it could have been real hard to see in the right position.
Go get some more they're counting on you.

www.trapperpredcaller.com give that a try, or try a search for Fur buyer in NC.
Good luck

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 01-01-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
K22--I shoot 27.2 gr. of 8208 XBR out of a 26 inch barrel using the 39 gr. Sierra BK and get a muzzle velocity of 3,894 fps. So you are using .2 of a grain more powder with a bullet that is 2 gr. lighter, but with a barrel that is 4 inches shorter so my wild guess would be that your velocity is pretty close to 3,875 or so. Like I said, this is just a WAG with a tiny amount of overconfident extrapolation
That sounds like it would be in the ballpark to me. Thanks. Mark
Old 01-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Supporting Member

Default Terrific

K22: great pics and terrific story behind the kitty kill!! Thanks for posting it....

Maybe I missed it, but what rifle is that....and scope.....and the sling looks interesting as well.....

George
Old 01-01-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
Thanks Silverfox, that does help. I know at the distance I shot at, which was close to 225yds. the instant the rifle fired the Bobcat flipped over backwards. That 37gr. bullet got there fast.

MrMajestic- you right and the dumb thing is I knew that. If I would have held dead center I would not have to deal with a shattered shoulder when skinning it out.

Quote:
www.trapperpredcaller.com give that a try, or try a search for Fur buyer in NC.
Good luck
Thanks Georgeld, I'll check them out.

Quote:
Terrific
K22: great pics and terrific story behind the kitty kill!! Thanks for posting it....

Maybe I missed it, but what rifle is that....and scope.....and the sling looks interesting as well.....

George
I can't believe I didn't post all of the important info. The rifle is a Kimber Montana with Talley lightweight mounts. The scope is a Nikon Monarch 2-8X32 and is filling in for the time being for a Leupold VX3 2.5-8X36.
Now the sling has quite a little story behind it. I was wanting to build a light weight Coyote rifle and was going to use my Rem model 7 as a platform. When RePete (Charlie) found out about it, he sent me a brand new light weight Vero Vellini sling. Best darn sling I ever used. I liked it so well ( the one Charlie sent is going on my custom light weight 17 Rem) I bought another one for the 204. I can't thank Charlie enough for that kind jester. In fact, I would have never tried one of those slings if he hadn't sent that to me, (they're expensive.....made in Germany), but they make carrying a heavy shouldered rifle seen a lot lighter than it is.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Supporting Member

Default Thanks

K22: thanks for the feedback....I thought that looked like a Kimber Montana....

I just bought one in .257 Roberts....it's at my gunsmith who does my FFL stuff, waiting to be picked up...

Unfortunately, I'm in KY visiting our oldest daughter and family, so it'll have to wait a week....

I plan on using it for hogs and coyotes.....80gr Barnes & 75gr VMax....

I'll look into the sling as well....

George
Old 01-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Supporting Member

What is a CRT bullet? I'm looking for a fur friendly 204 bullet. I had a silver dollar-size splash wound yesterday on a slightly quartering coyote at 175 yards. The bullet was a 39 grain Blitzking. He weighed a bit over 30 lbs.

Last weekend that bullet performed flawlessly on a 40.6 lb coyote at 125 yards.

Might just have to break out the 17 Remington or 17M4 with 25 Bergers again; I hate sewing.

Chris
Old 01-01-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartarg View Post
K22: thanks for the feedback....I thought that looked like a Kimber Montana....

I just bought one in .257 Roberts....it's at my gunsmith who does my FFL stuff, waiting to be picked up...

Unfortunately, I'm in KY visiting our oldest daughter and family, so it'll have to wait a week....

I plan on using it for hogs and coyotes.....80gr Barnes & 75gr VMax....

I'll look into the sling as well....

George
You are going to love that rifle. All I did to mine was lighten the trigger from the factory setting of 3.25lbs. to 2lbs., then I torqued the action screws to 65in.lbs.. That's it. Oops, I did change out the bolt handle to a titanium one.

Quote:
What is a CRT bullet? I'm looking for a fur friendly 204 bullet. I had a silver dollar-size splash wound yesterday on a slightly quartering coyote at 175 yards. The bullet was a 39 grain Blitzking. He weighed a bit over 30 lbs.

Last weekend that bullet performed flawlessly on a 40.6 lb coyote at 125 yards.

Might just have to break out the 17 Remington or 17M4 with 25 Bergers again; I hate sewing.

Chris
My vote would be to go with the 17 Rem., but I'm partial so it probably doesn't count.
In my opinion, plastic bullets aren't reliable enough on pelts. Brad (wirelessguy) who's a sponsor on here is making the CRT (Custom Reloading Tools) bullets. Another bullet I've had really good luck with on Coyotes is the Berger 35gr. I know 6 Coyotes isn't much of a test, but so far no exits and there are many others who are using it also. But to tell you the truth I really like that 37gr. CRT bullet and chose it over the Bergers.