Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-19-2012, 01:23 AM

Default Frustrated

You fellas know how much we get bad mouthed for using those mouse calibers on Coyotes/Fox/Bobcats. It is unreal the amount of small caliber bashing that goes on. Anyway, back to the point, while on another Predator type forum, a fella was relaying how he called in this Bobcat and when the shoulder shot presented itself he took it. The poor Cat screamed twice, but finally died and he felt a little bad for the suffering it went through. But here's my point, why..... why take a shoulder shot? Why not a chest shot, or maybe just BEHIND the shoulder. I don't get it. I hear this all the time with Coyote shooters on other forums. Now I know why they think 17 Rem. or 20 calibers aren't big enough, they are trying to bust through shoulders in hopes of maiming the animal instead of using good ol' marksmanship. And they want to bad mouth 17's or 20's!! Gosh that is frustrating to me. Of course I could be over reacting.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:30 AM

Sticks and Stones............
Old 01-19-2012, 02:05 AM
Supporting Member

I just checked it all out with my meter...

Old 01-19-2012, 02:28 AM
Supporting Member

It's called "contempt prior to investigation", living proof of mental midgetisim!! A lot of those armchair commandos have brains smaller than the projectiles we shoot!! Most of em don't know "come from sicum"!!
How am I doing so far K??
Some of you lifers here will remember Roy Chaney from Alaska, he'd shot more wolves than you could count. He swore buy the .17 calibers, course he was a shooter too! Them Cretins don't deserve to have as much fun as we do with the small calibers .
WHEW!! I sure feel better now, hope you do too .
Old 01-19-2012, 02:37 AM

I get cracked up at Internet expert callers LOL
The RIGHT bullets and bullet placement is what makes a rifle a killer. I doubt I will ever shoot coyotes with anything bigger than a 20 cal. I have 17tac, 204, and soon to have a 20tac. It used to frustrate me but now I just chuckle.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:17 AM

Some guys have it instilled in there head that they need to break a animal down just like big-game hunting and shoot out a shoulder, spine or head shot when its not needed or advised.. Just a good hit to the chest or behind the shoulder is good enough...
Old 01-19-2012, 05:05 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

K22:
Thanks for pointing this out. I'm in full agreement with rib shots, or under the ear if it can be made w/o question & won't mess up a hide.
I have the same reaction when big game hunters p & moan about: busting big bones and destroying all that meat etc with some cals and bullets.

I've only got One question for both of those results:
"What the hell you doing shooting them thru the bones or meat in the first place??"
The only place any animal should be shot is "Double lung shot'" I was taught by the old elk killers that's the ONLY place to hit 'em. They believed in it so much they'd cut the whole back out of the shirt you had on when making a ham shot, then everyone in camp would write some derogatory comment about your shooting the bull in the a$$ & hand it back to you. Those guys made quite an impression on this kid when he was learning how to shoot game.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 01-19-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
It's called "contempt prior to investigation", living proof of mental midgetisim!! A lot of those armchair commandos have brains smaller than the projectiles we shoot!! Most of em don't know "come from sicum"!!
How am I doing so far K??
Some of you lifers here will remember Roy Chaney from Alaska, he'd shot more wolves than you could count. He swore buy the .17 calibers, course he was a shooter too! Them Cretins don't deserve to have as much fun as we do with the small calibers .
WHEW!! I sure feel better now, hope you do too .
YES! YES! EXACTLY! Boy I do feel better now.

Quote:
Thanks for pointing this out. I'm in full agreement with rib shots, or under the ear if it can be made w/o question & won't mess up a hide.
I have the same reaction when big game hunters p & moan about: busting big bones and destroying all that meat etc with some cals and bullets.

I've only got One question for both of those results:
"What the hell you doing shooting them thru the bones or meat in the first place??"
The only place any animal should be shot is "Double lung shot'" I was taught by the old elk killers that's the ONLY place to hit 'em. They believed in it so much they'd cut the whole back out of the shirt you had on when making a ham shot, then everyone in camp would write some derogatory comment about your shooting the bull in the a$$ & hand it back to you. Those guys made quite an impression on this kid when he was learning how to shoot game.

georgeld, my thoughts are the same as yours. I've never shot anything larger than a Northern Whitetail Deer, but in the many that I have shot in the past I have never taken a shoulder shot. My hunting buddies would have never let me down. Around here Deer are very small, but the fella's still shoot them with 7mm Mags. on up and evidently the go for the shoulder shot. What a waste of meat. At one time in my life I was convinced that a neck shot on Deer was a better way to go. It worked for awhile until I shot a bit low once. I tracked that one for a long ways. It eventually bleed to death and I felt real bad about it too.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:38 AM

You are over reacting! All those that use the 17 and 20 calibers for calling and are successful with them will continues to use them. Those that are not successful or don't use one, are not likely to change and you will not change their minds. Take a deep breath and relax!
Old 01-19-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
You are over reacting! All those that use the 17 and 20 calibers for calling and are successful with them will continues to use them. Those that are not successful or don't use one, are not likely to change and you will not change their minds. Take a deep breath and relax!
WHAT!!
Are your trying to say I can't change their perception?
Tell me it's not so.

breath in the positive air..............breath out the negative air............breath in the positive air............breath out the negative air................................
I'm beginning to feel better already. Thanks Qaz