Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-10-2012, 12:27 AM

Default Remington and Customer Service

My bolts that were damaged by some bad Remington 7 1/2 primers are at Gre'-Tan's being fixed. Today I received a check from Remington for the total amount of the repairs by Gre'-Tan plus the shipping cost. Also, they are drop shipping a case of primers to me to replace the bad ones that I destroyed.

My faith in Remingtons Customer Service is restored and a big thank you to a Mrs/Miss Sandra Strickland for all of her kind help and keeping me informed. I plan on posting this on all of the forums I belong to. Maybe some of you can do the same.

On a side note: I soaked the primers in Quaker State oil for over a week. More like 2 weeks. When burning some trash in my burn barrel I dumped the jar of oil and primers in also. Guess what.............ever darn one of those 6000 plus primers detonated. I didn't think they would.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:04 AM

That's remarkable Jim
Say what ya want about Big Green (and I have) they really stepped up.
Glad it all worked out.

The primers detonating doesn't suprise me though.
Primer compound's like a Cockroach (or a Coyote).
Old 04-10-2012, 01:16 AM
Supporting Member

Glad Remington came thru for you. I've soaked some primers with the same results.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:16 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

I'm very surprised. Maybe they've changed management since I had bullet problems in 2000.
Glad they came thru for you.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 04-10-2012, 10:08 AM

I admit I was really surprised. I figured I would be in for a fight. I know bushing the bolt face/firing pin hole is a good thing, but I liked my bolt faces the way they were before the cratering. I will have to admit that the Rem. bolt face needed to be bushed. It had the typical Rem. enlarged firing pin hole.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Supporting Member

K22, real glad to hear Remington made it right. This is one of the first posts I have read in a long time that complimented their service when the chips were down. Maybe Remington has finally turned the corner and realised the gun market isn't endlessly big and that the internet really does spread the word like wildfire if you don't live up to your promises. RALLY hope this is a new direction from Remington and not just exceptional service from one individaul. It would be real good to have big green back.

As to your soaked primers, that is real standard. We tried a test once to see how much contamination had to be on your fingers to affect primer detonation. We soaked them with varying amounts of water, oil, WD 40, Hoppes #9, gun grease and everything else we could think of that was readily available. All went bang. Makes me laugh when people say, put some water in your case overnight and then you can safely deprime the case and every time I read it I post the results of our test so someone doesn't get hurt. I have deprimed many live primers with no problem, but soaking them won't make a darn bit of difference..
Old 04-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Administrator

glad big Green came through for ya. I'm not surprised by the detonations either. I have a coffee can full of 209 shotgun primers that went through the Johnstown PA flood in the 1970's. All were fully submerged and I've NEVER had one not go off.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Supporting Member

I've bought a beau coup bunch Remington factory rifles over the years and I have never had the "usual" internet horror stories occur with any of them. All have shot well and with only minor tweaking like removing the action from the stock and judicially re-torguing the screws, I have found them to all be very serviceable and some have exhibited "$300 Savage-like" accuracy right out of the box.

Yeah, I know.......... I must still be hallucinating from the sixties...........

Recently I had only my second ever need for Remington customer services as I discovered I owned two 700 LVSF rifles equipped with Limbsaver recoil pads that had become close imitations of Gummy Bears Gone Wild while sitting in a gun safe.

I called Remington and told them about what had happened to the Limbsaver recoil pads which has been documented on the net by several other folks. The pads were glued onto the stocks so they could not easily be removed. When asked this question if they came off the stocks easily and I said no, the person on the other end of the phone simply asked for my address and I was told that two new stocks would be on the way.

I have received them and they are now attached to the two rifles. They have a different recoil pad but they are the same B&C pillar bedded kevlar stocks that came on the rifles originally. Remington's price is or was ~$315 for each stock a few years back.

Anway...... My one need for help was answered quickly and in a manner that I can't find a single reason to complain about. Over the years I have been a firm advocate of the belief that spreading honey (being nice) gets more responses than does slinging sulfuric acid (not being nice) in these situations, and I've never had one problem with any issues like this with any company, now including even Remington.

JMO - BCB

PS - If you remove the two screws and cut the rubber recoil pad off the stock and leave the glued on plastic base in place, 5 minutes with your wife's hair dryer will allow you to easily remove the plastic base so you can replace the recoil pad with one of your choice. I personally like the feel of the LVSF kevlar stocks, so I bet these two extra stocks will find a place to be useful with new recoil pads installed.

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 04-10-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to SShooterZ

Glad to hear that took care of you. A good story is just as much worth sharing as a bad one.

As for the primers. I don't remember where, but I thought I read of a test of "oil soaking" primers and it did absolutely nothing to inhibit them from performing as expected.