Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-15-2018, 05:35 AM

Default 20 Hornady Hornet

Anyone ever build/shoot a 20 Hornady Hornet?

Seems like necking up 17 HH brass would be a pretty easy process and I already have a of Redding Type S FL Bushing die that I could just swap out the bushing in and use that for the sizing die.

I'd think you'd be able to launch that Hornady 24gr NTX bullet an easy 3700+ from a 24in tube.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:57 AM
Supporting Member

Not much ballistic difference but some of us have .20 Ackley Hornet's. A big advantage there is you can buy off the shelf dies, these are from Graf and Son. Spendy but less then custom made.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...72554/inline/1

Also, Pac-Nor makes barrels for it.

http://pac-nor.com/wildcat/

If you aren't a smith and/or aren't in need of a totally one off wildcat, as in your own reamer, custom dies etc. Pac-Nor will chamber a .20 Ack Hornet up on your rifle depending what it is for a really good price, with their top notch barrel, in a reasonable time frame and you're up and running.
Just a thought .
Old 07-15-2018, 10:29 AM

A 20 HH would be cool but I shoot the Hornady 24gr NTX out of my 20 Practical at nearly 4000 fps already. :-)
Old 07-15-2018, 02:50 PM

B23, ya got a pretty good idea in my opinion. PTG is showing they have 20 Hornady Hornet (25* shoulder) reamers in stock. 17 HH brass should be fairly easy to make it into 20 Hornady Hornet. I've made more than 500 pcs of 17 HH brass into 20 Mink. PIA (about eight steps), but it shoots as good as the 20 Mink Winchester brass (but case capacity is less with the Hornady brass). You could buy a Wilson blank for about a $160 bucks and the reamer for about the same...and then be on your way since you wouldn't need dies. Probably as a reasonable way to try out the idea as any other avenue to get there. Good luck on your decision. 410gauge
Old 07-15-2018, 04:06 PM

I've had this thought in my head as well, if they won't make a .20 WSM, make your own.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:34 PM
Supporting Member

As has been mentioned, the 20 AH option is the cheaper route by far and gives identical ballistics for all practical purposes. Unless you just like going a different route which is understandable. I've been on that same different route/road myself before.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 07-15-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
As has been mentioned, the 20 AH option is the cheaper route by far and gives identical ballistics for all practical purposes. Unless you just like going a different route which is understandable. I've been on that same different route/road myself before.

JMO - BCB
I'm not sure how the a 20AH would be a cheaper option. Barrels and reamers cost the same, you can use a Redding 17 HH Type S FL bushing die, which I already have, but with the appropriate size bushing for a .20 AND there is no fireforming involved so in my way of thinking, a 20HH would not only be cheaper but save time as well.

This isn't a 20HH VS 20AH thing for me, if the 20AH was a cheaper and easier option I'd definitely consider that version instead but I can't see how it possibly can be so what am I missing????
Old 07-15-2018, 07:02 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
I'm not sure how the a 20AH would be a cheaper option. Barrels and reamers cost the same, you can use a Redding 17 HH Type S FL bushing die, which I already have, but with the appropriate size bushing for a .20 AND there is no fireforming involved so in my way of thinking, a 20HH would not only be cheaper but save time as well.

This isn't a 20HH VS 20AH thing for me, if the 20AH was a cheaper and easier option I'd definitely consider that version instead but I can't see how it possibly can be so what am I missing????
I guess I read right thru the use of a Redding Type S Full Length Busing Die the first time through. It will probably handle most situations you might encounter.

So........ I understand where you are, but from having been down the same road more than once, having a FL die for a wildcat cartridge for when things "go squirrely" is a life saver. I'm more a hunter than a bench shooter at this point in life, so reliability is more important than ultimate accuracy. Small thin brass sometimes has a tendency to "get squirrely" after a few firings. Both in the shoulder area and in the web area.

You may never need it, but being old like I am, I'm more into anticipated comfort than unexpected discomfort. There's no doubt that your collet die will work just fine until it doesn't. And fire forming is often over-rated in terms of actual cartridge use. YMMV....... And there's no doubt that its your money.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 07-15-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:30 PM

having a 17 hh id also love to go to 20hh however the 17 hornandy brass is rubbish and i think you would end up using 22 h brass fireformed so a 20 ah might be better in this regard i have thought about doing it myself , and from a brass issue alone id go with thw ah
Old 07-15-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
I guess I read right thru the use of a Redding Type S Full Length Busing Die the first time through. It will probably handle most situations you might encounter.

So........ I understand where you are, but from having been down the same road more than once, having a FL die for a wildcat cartridge for when things "go squirrely" is a life saver. I'm more a hunter than a bench shooter at this point in life, so reliability is more important than ultimate accuracy. Small thin brass sometimes has a tendency to "get squirrely" after a few firings. Both in the shoulder area and in the web area.

You may never need it, but being old like I am, I'm more into anticipated comfort than unexpected discomfort. There's no doubt that your collet die will work just fine until it doesn't. And fire forming is often over-rated in terms of actual cartridge use. YMMV....... And there's no doubt that its your money.

-BCB
With all due respect, I think you're a little mistaken with what a Redding Type S FL bushing die is.

It is a regular Full Length sizing die that gives you the option of controlling whatever neck tension you choose, per the size of bushing you use. This is NOT a collet die nor a bushing only die.

I don't hardly have any standard FL only dies anymore, nearly all of my sizing dies are the Redding Typs S FL Bushing dies.

As for fireforming, I have many "improved" cartridges I have to fireform for. I don't care what anyone says, there is no way around the fact it is another step that has to be taken and if I can achieve the same result, without, involving an extra step, it makes zero sense to me why I would not go that route.

I'll certainly agree the Hornady brass is far from stellar quality but, NONE, of the Hornet brass is what I'd consider stellar, but for something like this, it's pretty much all acceptable.