Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-09-2018, 03:25 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Weasel: You're just a kid!

I have a 3 foot shelf nearly full of loading books, think my first one is
still there from 1958.

I found some years ago the old books and new one's give vastly different loads due to newer powders are much different than they used to be. Be mighty careful, KNOW how old the powder is and use the OLD books, then start low and work up.

I had some old powder and got a guy started one night with just .30/30's. I was pretty sure of the charge from my notes. Yet after having 100 loaded I picked up a new book and it said my load was about 10-15 gr over max!! YIKES!

Got the hammer out and pulled 'em all down. Then i came home and looked it up in an old book and I was right the first time with the older powder. So we reloaded them the same. worked fine. Just that I got mixed up after reading the NEW book.

Then there's all these nearly unknown cartridges we play with on here. Most of them will never make it into the books anywhere. That's reason enough to ask Saubier where the answers will come that you can count on.

Just don't get the notion like I did and crowd these tiny cases and get into trouble. Blowing a primer pocket out to 1/4" dia, splitting the head of a case WILL take your breath away quick. Even just .1gr WILL do it at times.

I agree Bill. Too many don't want to bother with a book, or maybe don't have a clue how to look 'em up if they do have a book.

Good thread.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 10-09-2018, 05:16 AM

I've got nothing against asking people for specific loads or "pet loads".
It's part of the fun to see what others are having success with.
However.....I never take someone else's data and run with it.

It's always cross referenced with several load manuals and I always "work up".
Never can be too careful, but its interesting to see what others find success with.

How many use 25.5gr H335 with a 50gr speer TNT in the 223?

Sure is a screamer outta every gun I've tried it in.....which has been 8 different .223 bolt actions.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:33 AM

I have often picked the brains of others on powder preference of a round, especially if I have not loaded for it. It can save some time narrowing it down to 2-3 powders. Most of the powder suppliers have online load data which is at the tips of my fingers. The thing that is hard to explain to newer reloaders, is that if you don't use the same brass, bullet, and primer, you are not really using the manual. What is really scary is there are a handful of guys that always give out loads that are 2-400 fps higher than a book max load, that is "safe in their gun". I do not see that so much here, but on the Accurate reloading site, holy crap. I am fortunate enough to have a friend that works in a major ballistics lab and he was able to explain alot when I first started reloading. I think some guys are too proud to admit they need some guidance, so ask in a round about way.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:51 PM

From my computer room, I can look into my loading/work shop and count 37 loading manuals many old, some brand new. These don't include Hodgdon's Annual Manuals which for me, start 2004.
On another shelf, there are 18 of my own manuals, 3 to 5 ring binders, having 3 to 7 or 8 ctg. in each & from .17 to .50 cal. - includes my shotshell loading manual for development of duck loads in 12 and 10 bore.
I sometimes ask what others loaders use in specific ctgs. to see if there is a common denominator for accuracy - ie: powders, bullets, cases, as has been noted by other guys in this thread.
Common or frequent use of certain components can be quite valuable information in shortening loading experimentation in some rounds.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:34 PM

They probably ask due to all the variations

Reloading Manuals are only a guideline...
A manual may list as many as 8 different powders for one bullet weight.
You can take the same bullet weight from 5 manufacturers and get different results using the same powder with each bullet.

Whenever I see replies to someones question "what is your pet load"
each respondant will have a different load suggestion.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:40 PM

Default New Powders and Wildcats

When a new powder comes out the manufacturer rarely lists the small caliber wildcats we so often use in their load charts.

We then are left only to extrapolation using similar capacity cartridges and powders on burn rate charts.

A good example would be CFE BLK in 20 VT. Hodgon has never done any work with the 20 VT but Accurate lists several options.

I searched for a 40 grain, CFE BLK, 20 VT load on several forums without success shortly after CFE BLK was introduced, hoping someone has already peeled that orange.

I ended up working up a load for my rifle by extrapolating through all the data available. It worked safely but it would have been good to see the results of others before departing on the journey.

Therefore I am in the camp that thinks it is beneficial to post wildcat load data....I would always share my results upon request.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:09 PM

One mannal I find particularly helpful, is the Hodgdon Annual Manual - yes- comes out every year & includes THEIR new powders, of course - in IMR, the old WW powders and of course, Hodgdon powders old as well.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:17 PM

Default Curious about load date questions ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
One mannal I find particularly helpful, is the Hodgdon Annual Manual - yes- comes out every year & includes THEIR new powders, of course - in IMR, the old WW powders and of course, Hodgdon powders old as well.
Same here, like that annual manual/magazine. Seems like I do grab it more often than one of several hard bound one's I have. Mostly due to the fact of listing for new powders along with the old standbys. Bill K
Old 10-10-2018, 07:17 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Same here, like that annual manual/magazine. Seems like I do grab it more often than one of several hard bound one's I have. Mostly due to the fact of listing for new powders along with the old standbys. Bill K
Same same at my house RE the Hodgdon yearly manual. And I do use their online electronic manual for new powders. Between the two of them, they cover a bunch of my needs.

Its interesting to look at older manual versus new manuals for some standby powders. I have no idea if a powder like IMR 4350, for example, which was an older time staple for many rifles, has changed in burn rate, etc. significantly over time or if lawyers have made their presence heard.........

As I stated earlier, I don't like to share "pet loads" beyond powder and bullet combinations that have worked well for me over time as well as taking someone else's "pet load" due to the fact that I have no control over what someone else does with specific data, and do they really know what they are doing....? I favor their fingers and eyes as much as I do my own.

I'm not a big believer in primer appearance for determining if a load is safe or not. Case head expansion is a much better indicator for me. It too is not an absolute, but it is more reliable in a good rifle chamber with good quality brass.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 10-10-2018, 08:00 PM

Each gun and from one area of the country to the next is different so yeah manuals will have a few holes in them but its meant to be a guide-line for a starting load on a new gun/cartridge and the info they give is safe in most all guns so its a good place to start vrs. some load info you got off the net from a buddy. There are a lot of members here that shoot some of the same cartridges as me but yet we do not even come close most times as far as what powders work for us or bullets for that matter. Stick to a good manual and just go from there and forget what others do or use.