Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-11-2018, 03:05 AM

part of it can be caused by the surge of new powders that have been steadily trickling out over the last 10 years or so. there's only so much data posted and others may or may not have experimented with them already.

ie. powders like CFE blk many who have pet loads in non listed cartridges that had good results with WC860 or AA1680 have tried said powder and had good results even though there are not any book loads for the cartridge they are using it in.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:18 AM

Some guys are gonna get butt hurt over this but You’re right, these days a lot of new handloaders don’t want to go through the “trouble” and spend the time and money to work up the correct load.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:36 PM

Default Modern Reloading Second Edition, Richard Lee

Been reloading for 43 years now and designed my first wildcat in 2003....still find it beneficial to know what others have done when traveling down the wildcat highway.

When wildcatting I find Modern Reloading Second Edition by Richard Lee to be invaluable because it lists the useable powder capacity in cc's for each cartridge in the manual...... from there on you travel on your own.

Particularly when changing calibers you must err on the side of extreme caution due to resulting pressure differences from different bore columns.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:24 PM

Lots of interesting replies.

A smart reloader uses all his resources in the interest of safety and efficiency.

I use:
1. Printed manuals. Especially old books with old powders.
2. Online loads found on the manufacturers' websites.
3. Information requests here. Up to me to vet the individual source.

*I NEVER take anyone's load as a starting point. That would be stupid.
**Am I less of a reloader because I don't buy 15 different powders and six different bullets to work up one new load?
***If I want information from others, I have to be willing to share mine. It always comes with some type of 'disclaimer' in plain English.
****It's most often obvious when a request is made by an absolute 'newb'. If I reply, it is tailored to fit the OP.
*****A major function of sites like this one is to help others. Many of you know that I have received more than I have given here, for sure.

Just a few of my thoughts. Feel free to disregard any or all.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:50 PM

Default Western Powders

One other source of information is the powder companies themselves. They may have data for powders/cartridges that has not been published. Western has been very cooperative in providing such data via email request.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramos View Post
Lots of interesting replies.

A smart reloader uses all his resources in the interest of safety and efficiency.

I use:
1. Printed manuals. Especially old books with old powders.
2. Online loads found on the manufacturers' websites.
3. Information requests here. Up to me to vet the individual source.

*I NEVER take anyone's load as a starting point. That would be stupid.
**Am I less of a reloader because I don't buy 15 different powders and six different bullets to work up one new load?
***If I want information from others, I have to be willing to share mine. It always comes with some type of 'disclaimer' in plain English.
****It's most often obvious when a request is made by an absolute 'newb'. If I reply, it is tailored to fit the OP.
*****A major function of sites like this one is to help others. Many of you know that I have received more than I have given here, for sure.

Just a few of my thoughts. Feel free to disregard any or all.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
100% agree
Old 10-11-2018, 09:02 PM

The post from ramos is good and concise. I also adjust from my usual loads if I know I am going to be in extremes of temperatures, like when shooting PD in 100°F+ conditions.