Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-15-2015, 02:28 AM

Default Just got a Forster Co-Ax Press: Some questions

I just got a Forster Co-Ax Press. I noticed that the handle tube is retained by a simple setscrew bearing against the handle tube. I have heard that they used to pin the handle in place on the older units. The pinned version is probably the most secure, but somewhat inconvenient if you might want to change around from the long to short handle, then back again. The setscrew version would be quicker to use that way, but I think that it could start to slip around problematically, as the set screw merely jams up against the handle tube and doesn't really lock into it any. Has anyone here experienced slipping? I am thinking of center punching the handle tube through the set screw hole, then drilling into the tube a little to engage the setscrew, while I am getting it mounted to the aluminum plate that I made for my bench.

Does anyone have the optional short handle for this? If so, what size ball are they using on the end of the handle? I may fit a ball to the end of the long handle supplied with the press. I would like to maintain the same size between both handles. I don't expect I'll buy the short one for a while.

Thanks,

Danny

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:50 AM

I think you are worrying about nothing . I use the co-ax press and I think they are a fantastic press.

You should try their benchrest die set

chris
Old 09-15-2015, 04:03 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have one of their seating dies with the micrometer adjustment. I like it a lot, maybe more than the version Redding makes.

Danny

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:21 AM

Default Forster coax

The press is do well designed I do most of the operations on it with no handle....It's just easier that way
Old 09-15-2015, 12:48 PM

Default handle

My handle repeatedly loosened when I first got the press. I did something similar to what you are proposing, cant remember exactly. Never had another issue. Forster is a great press in my opinion, I love mine.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:22 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratbuster View Post
The press is do well designed I do most of the operations on it with no handle....It's just easier that way
Exactly!
Old 09-15-2015, 08:16 PM

The ball on the short handle mics 1.879. No issues with the set screw slipping and had mine 5 years plus. I like the short handle so I can sit close to the table and operate from in front of or side of the press.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:09 PM

I prefer the ball handle....wish the long handle had a ball. Once you use the press, you will really like its design. I have two....one set up for Hornet based cartridges and the other 222/223 based cartridges....12 years on the one and would buy a third if they had not gotten to $300+. I get Forster dies, if they offer them in the cartridge I use. Great Dies, too!
Bill
Old 09-16-2015, 03:23 AM

I don't know what vintage my Co Ax is, but I do not tighten the setscrew. Use the handle when needed and remove with neck sizing or seating bullets.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:09 AM

If you are into ape hangers and drag your knuckles, cool. I have one sitting in the box. Many other presses I have impress me more and work as well or better.