Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 09-07-2018, 09:53 PM

Default Annealing Cases, Info Please

Hi All,

In all my years of shooting and reloading I have never had the need to anneal my brass! Now I have some brass that does need to be softened up and need some help.

I have read, over the years, that the way to do it is to put a torch to the neck until it glows yellow, red, changes color from blue to red and more! Now, I plan to place the cases in water, up to a third of the length, put the torch to the neck, and tip the case over when ready.

PLEASE tell me when READY is READY!

Thanks,
Marcos (elalto)
Old 09-07-2018, 10:50 PM

Templaq is your friend.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:58 AM
Supporting Member

Check out You Tube. Lots of instructions to see.
Me? Deep socket, 1/2" or 13 mm. Stuff steel wool in till the case sticks out about half way. Electric drill, (rechargeable) extension to adapt the socket to the chuck. I use Mapp Gas. Burns hotter that butane. Stand the gas can on end with the torch pointed to the area you want to work in. Case in socket moved into the flame. Watch for color change. I use the kitchen counter with the shutters closed to make the room darker. Easier to see the color change. Maybe 6,7 or 8 seconds in the flame. You'll figure that out pretty fast.
Use some old .223 brass for starters. You'll get the feel for it pretty fast. Pliers to squeeze the annealed necks before and after. Big difference before and after.That way you'll figure out what you're doing and how long to heat.
No water drop for me and No Templaq but you do whatever works best for you.
Hot cases in an empty pan. Do it a time or two and you'll be an expert in nothing flat.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
Check out You Tube. Lots of instructions to see.
Me? Deep socket, 1/2" or 13 mm. Stuff steel wool in till the case sticks out about half way. Electric drill, (rechargeable) extension to adapt the socket to the chuck. I use Mapp Gas. Burns hotter that butane. Stand the gas can on end with the torch pointed to the area you want to work in. Case in socket moved into the flame. Watch for color change. I use the kitchen counter with the shutters closed to make the room darker. Easier to see the color change. Maybe 6,7 or 8 seconds in the flame. You'll figure that out pretty fast.
Use some old .223 brass for starters. You'll get the feel for it pretty fast. Pliers to squeeze the annealed necks before and after. Big difference before and after.That way you'll figure out what you're doing and how long to heat.
No water drop for me and No Templaq but you do whatever works best for you.
Hot cases in an empty pan. Do it a time or two and you'll be an expert in nothing flat.
That's the ticket. You can make it more complicated but don't need to. I use a propane torch, easier to find for me. You will figure it out with just a little experimenting and then wonder what all the internet hoopla is about.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:38 PM
Supporting Member

You will figure it out with just a little experimenting and then wonder what all the internet hoopla is about.

Keeping it simple.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:53 PM

Default Annealing cases, Info please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
You will figure it out with just a little experimenting and then wonder what all the internet hoopla is about.

Keeping it simple.
So true. As mentioned first read a couple articles showing and explaining Annealing. Then use either the old standby way, with water or without ( I don't use water, drop into a can or onto a damp old towel.
You will learn pretty darn fast how easy it is to do. Now if you want to really get fancy, there are articles on how to build or buy annealing tool/machines, which you can do also, but they are pricey.
Don't let the job over realm you, it is very simple to do. Bill K
Old 09-09-2018, 11:43 AM
Supporting Member

"You will figure it out with just a little experimenting and then wonder what all the internet hoopla is about."

Ramos said that, I just mentioned it again.

Like you said Bill, there are lots of ways to get the job done. Some cost a bunch and others, very little. I tend to stick with the "very little". Not cause I'am cheap, I can just about talk myself out of anything.
Hard to have a piece of equipment sitting there that cost a bunch and doesn't get used that much.
But, we all have different ways to get things done. Just be glad we all don't think the same. Sure would be a DULL world.

Bore scope? If they're all going in the same hole, do I really want to know that that barrel bore looks like?

Big fancy annealing machine that will even mow your yard for you or make you a cup of coffee?
Naw, I'll pass.

Kinda like neck turning. You do it cause you HAVE TO to get your brass to fit your tight chamber.
I solved that problem by ordering a bigger neck reamer.

In the long run, I'd rather spend any extra $$ on powder, primers and bullets. No use making your hobby any more expensive than you have to. It's already expensive and getting worse every day.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:17 PM

Clean cases are easier for me to see the color change,the very first dull red is enough, tip of torch flame on the lower third of the neck for me. Position case the same each time, 5-7 seconds seems like the range for me depending on case size. I often wash the brass shake dry and then anneal, speeds up drying.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elalto View Post
I have read, over the years, that the way to do it is to put a torch to the neck until it glows yellow, red, changes color from blue to red and more! Now, I plan to place the cases in water, up to a third of the length, put the torch to the neck, and tip the case over when ready.
Marcos (elalto)
When I first started annealing in the late 70's I followed the process you describe. In a darkened room, when the case necks just begin to show a faint glow of red, knock them over. I think there are much better ways to anneal. This process only applies heat to one side of the case neck, and the water isn't necessary to protect the case head from overheating.

I use 750° Tempilaq liquid applied as a stripe inside the case neck. Don't put it on the outside where the flame will impinge on it. You will get a false reading. You want to heat it just enough so the stripe turns clear. No need to drop the cases in water or a damp towel. How clean and shiny the cases are will impact how much if any color change you get on the shoulder. So you cannot rely solely on color change. That is why Tempilaq is important.

How you want to apply the heat and rotate the cartridge, you have many options. But I used the two torch setup and a cordless drill/socket method for years with excellent results.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:56 PM

This might be of some help. -Al

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?...t=why+I+anneal