Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2019, 02:17 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
Way out of my league. I’ve done many of what you speak but haven’t done one since 1989 or 1990 and have forgot what little I know.

It’d be hard for me not to just use a new $50k pickup for hunting and everything else. I’ve been softened up by all the modern convinced... especially backup cameras (can’t bend twist my neck very far) and averaging 20.7 mpg on highway is still got me scratching my head...

Good luck on it Doug, I can’t wait to see sone photos after you complete it. Sounds like fun.
I'm with Gary on the "nicey nices" of a new truck......... My current mid-size 4X4 has an 8 speed auto with a 308 hp V-6 that does 18-20 mpg highway easily, depending on the terrain. (it gets around 18 mpg going up into the Texas Hill Country and 20+ mpg coming back down to sea level). And it easily seats five adults.

With the dual piston gas struts/shocks underneath it, it rides better on the highway with heavy lug tires than my wife's "girly-type" SUV. Everything vital underneath is protected with skid plates for when you want to "play around".

Restorations are fun, but in the end you still have what you originally had.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 05-27-2019, 02:43 PM

Default After it’s painted and the interior is done....

Drop it off in Colorado and I will get your motor and trans perked up.
A mild lift and some bigger tires and.....
Whatever you do Doug don’t test drive a new Tacoma or Ranger in the mean while
Old 05-27-2019, 02:53 PM

Awesome Doug! Sounds like a sweet project. I learned how to drive when I was less than 10 years old in an old 85' GMC 2500 manual, could barely reach the pedals......that Granny gear sure makes it nice for a kid starting out in the hills.

I own a 2014 F150 4x4 supercab short bed with the 5.0l Coyote V8 (drove it new off the lot). The last year of the "steel body" when ford wen't aluminum in 2015. So, got the Truck for a crazy good cash price in June of 2014.

Anyway, my new ford still blue books for just a few thousand less than what I paid, nearly 5 years later. I never thought I'd drive a new truck, but with 55,000 miles on it so far, I have no regrets.

With that being said, I just bought a 1996 Geo Tracker 4x4 2dr, 1.6l 16Valve 5 speed manual.

I have a feeling my F150 is going to see a lot less miles in the future.

Something fun about cruising around in an older rig, especially the 5 speeds (which I grew up on and have owned solely with the exception of the new F150).

Anyway, this new Geo Tracker I bought is in really good shape. I plan on driving it to the ground and rebuilding it when needed, similar to your plan.

Be sure to take some pics of your newly restored pickup, sounds exciting!!
Old 05-27-2019, 03:32 PM
Banned

Default Brodix

Old trucks / cars become part of the family!
Old 05-27-2019, 03:41 PM
Supporting Member

Default Restoring

Hello Doug,
I've never personally tried the Jasper products, after my father in law burned up 2 Jasper transmissions in his 03 Dodge behind his Cummins, I've made a mental note to stay away.
Jasper advertises a bunch and I've heard some good things about them, what you do need to know, their warranty starts with the first unit used, if the first or second unit goes south, your warranty still started with the first!
I personally would go GM if possible but I'm biased
Funny you ask about the 89 year, I just came back from riding in a 88 or 89 GMC Suburban in Heron Mt for a week(looking for a color phase black bear), brought good memories of the 89 3500 I drove for 5 years.

I currently have a my 95 Tahoe/Blazer 2 door setting in the barn waiting on a ground up, not because it makes sense but because I can

Stan
Old 05-27-2019, 04:00 PM
Banned

Default Brodix

What gets more looks? 68 Bronco ? Or A new Colorado ?! With an 8 speed or like my 80 short wide Chevy 4x4!!
Old 05-27-2019, 05:00 PM

Is an 89 still carb or throttle body FI? I can't remember when they switched in the pickups. If you are switching that, it is kind of a big deal with ECMs and fuel pumps, isn't it?

I hate carburetors. They may be a little simpler,but they get old and cranky, just like me!

Jerry
Old 05-27-2019, 05:28 PM

Default Pickup Engine

If you are planning to keep the truck for a while, sounds like you are, the new factory GM crate engines can often be found on sale for a good price. All new parts with a warranty. Many different combinations are available from mild to wild.

Back in the day I bought a slightly used '87 Chevy C10 with a 305 CID engine for a daily driver/hunting rig. The truck was ok but the engine was pathetic. Gutless and poor fuel economy. I ended up swapping in a 383 stroker engine, limited slip rear axle and having a local transmission shop beef up the 700R4 tranny to handle the power. Now that was a lot of fun! Good luck with your project. Vic

Last edited by vlcakc; 05-27-2019 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:46 PM
Supporting Member

I like old trucks (especially if they have the wood slat bed). But my body can’t ride in them. My 2018 rides real nice but even then I can sit that long.

My son Taylor made a 366 out of his 5.7 (by the way this isn’t too far ot... 5.7 is close to small bore lol. Used heads from a newer pickup but I forget the years
Old 05-28-2019, 01:33 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
What gets more looks? 68 Bronco ? Or A new Colorado ?! With an 8 speed or like my 80 short wide Chevy 4x4!!
I've owned both an older Bronco and a Colorado ZR2 and I know which one rides far better......... I could care less if anyone notices/noticed me in either.

You'd be surprised what the 8 speed does for mileage in town and on the highway.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine