Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-08-2013, 01:31 AM

....what exactly is gained by indicating in the muzzle while indicating in the breech end in preparation for reaming ?

Last edited by Spook; 11-08-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:43 AM

you want to have the bore as concentric as possible in the lathe, and just clamping onto the OD won't cut it.

You will chase your tail on the chamber side if you don't center the muzzle. You may get one point close at a specific depth, but not a straight section of grooves.

I work based on groove location, not lands. As mentioned before, lands are often not consistent in height, and this is why a rod and bushing ain't gonna work. Those are using the lands as a reference point, and bullets follow grooves, not lands.

There are many ways to do this process (chambering) and many excellent smiths have done it different ways and produced winning rifles. I do the process I learned, and I have been lucky to build some seriously accurate rimfire rifles.

A good friend of mine at Kelblys uses a steady rest to chamber, and his work is very good.

s.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:51 AM

steve b., would it be too simple to say that you are trying to make the barrel concentric and colinear at both the chamber and muzzle ends? Just a thought as another way to explain it?
Old 11-08-2013, 02:56 AM

Tin,

I suspect you are correct, but brevity has never been a trait of mine..

To blather on further, barrels are far from straight inside, and dealing with the curve and indexing it to the threads is a major pain in the rear, but indexing a barrel for rimfire work is a quiet secret to accuracy. As I learned how to index, I learned how "not-straight" barrels really are. But that said, i'll be damned if I could ever make one!

As a younger member of the craft, I find that the more I learn, the less I actually know. When it comes to flinging chips, I'm always open to learn something new. I have been very lucky to work with the people I do and have the guidance from excellent mentors in this sport.

s.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Supporting Member

Default trying to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve b. View Post
Yep, I use a rear spider and indicate that as well, working back and forth. I know running the barrel though the head stock is a slower process, but it gives me an excellent result.
i guess what i was asking is, do the jaws on that 3 jaw chuck adjust independently in order to adjust the chamber end of the barrel , or do you use a 4 jaw like on the rear spider.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:50 PM

Who here trust how Greg tanel chambers a barrel?
Old 11-08-2013, 02:12 PM

Default Gunsmith Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy221 View Post
Who here trust how Greg tanel chambers a barrel?
Now why ask that ? Tongue in cheek ? I will stick my neck way out and say, I Do. Bill K
Old 11-08-2013, 02:26 PM

I ask because I don't think one person here doubts his method or ability.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy221 View Post
I ask because I don't think one person here doubts his method or ability.
Can you elaborate on what he does that might be different?

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 11-08-2013, 06:33 PM

The spider is a 4-tooth on the rear, not a "jaw" per say. you just move the screws in and out to get it close to center on the rear. using the barrel OD is fine for that. the screws have big brass tips to grab on without marking the finish.

Then on the front you switch to the ID of the bore for the grooves and move the three jaw around. The entire chuck head moves radially to center, not the jaws. The jaws are just to hold, not center.