Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2017, 03:59 PM

Default Need some help

Go with the 204 Ruger, as long as he does not reload, along with easier to find ammo on the shelves.
Sinfull plug here, but check JIGWEED's post on Saubier, nice maple CZ in 204R he has for sale. Bill K
Old 03-10-2017, 04:33 PM

Previous posts give good reasons to NOT go with a .17 in any flavor, ammo availability, cost, poor wind performance and long range kill issues. I'll add another vote for the .204 or better yet, the .223. The latter is more of a universal round with a wide selection of ammo.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:15 PM
Supporting Member

Default hmm...

Once you added the 200yd minumum my thoughts went straight to the 223. Size of the target is a non issue, flat shooting and wind bucking capability rules the day outside of 200 yds. Availability, cost and rifle selection all point to the 223. Having said that the concept of using a single rifle in a target rich environment means a backup also. I would take both the 223 and a 204 shooting a 39BK, but I'm someone that takes 6 rifles into the PD fields, 3 of each. My vote is for a 223.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:40 PM

Get a .223 for novice, inexpensive and available ammo for non-reloader. 12X or more scope with good mounting system and fun will be had by all.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:49 PM

Since he's not a reloader, then go .223 all the way, and don't use cheap FMJ blasting ammo. Get a decent scope, maybe a 6.5x20 variable.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:35 PM

This started out as 'What .17 would be best'. For very practical reasons, the .223 is now being pushed. And it IS the most cost effective option. However, my vote, all things considered, would be the .204R. Let the guy have some fun! Let this innocent, unsuspecting individual experience the excitement of the .204R. Next thing you know, he will be adding a VarTarg to his arsenal. Then you mentors can school him on all the 17's he will need. Naturally, our mark (I mean 'new friend') will need to start reloading and forming his own cases, as well.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:48 PM
Supporting Member

Get the 17 HH, everyone should have one. Wind is just a learning opportunity and I am not convinced they blow around a lot more than any of the other common varmint calibers. They all need compensation if you have wind and 200+ yards. Once you learn the drift and compensation, good reason for a nil-dot scope, the rest is just wind reading.

For gophers and ground squirrels it has plenty of killing power out to 300 yards. We are after all talking a target the weighs less than a pound. Big advantage, lots of cheap factory ammo, barrel doesn't heat up real fast and not known to foul out easily.

Either of the other two would be great if he loaded, in that case I would definitely go 17 FB. It is my all time favourite 17, and my fav gopher gun.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:20 PM
Supporting Member

Default Great Suggestions

Sgtg,
I new I should have addressed this group as purchase mentors. Thanks for all the suggestions, not to dismiss all the non 17 suggestions, but that is what he's interested in.
The 223 is by far the most economical choice, but what fun would that be?
The 204, I'm about a big a fan as there can be, many more rifle choices and ammo choices.

Back to 17's, the Fireball seems like the best choice to me, more range than the 17 Hornet but not as quick to heat up as the 17 Remington.

The 17 Fireball.

1. Which manufacture chambered rifles for this cartridge? I thought Cooper would have, but it looks like they stuck with the 17 Mach lV.

2. Would a Fireball specifically feed in a Sako action designed for the 222/223 family, I know 20 Vartarg is a big issue in certain actions? I know there's a number of guys who chambered short action Sako's for the Mach lV?

I know, never did like the easy way

Stan
Old 03-10-2017, 07:34 PM
Supporting Member

A friend called last evening, tells me he would like to purchase a 17 caliber rifle. He's leaving in exactly 3 weeks to attend a wedding in Nevada and his brother in law said, make sure you bring a gun to shoot ground squirrels with. His brother in law recommended a 17 caliber.
So I ask, rim fire or center fire? He says most of his shooting will start at 200 yards and go out from there. I've never shot ground squirrels, but I think a center fire would be what he wants, and that is also what he would prefer for more local hunting when he returns.

I suspect that the 200 yard and above" might" be a stretch of the truth, lol. I shoot a mess and I never divulge the real distance, hell every one of my shots are 100 yards farther than what my rangefinder says, it makes for a better story, lol

I would suggest he locate ammo first, and buy a 17HH cz, especially with the 3 week deadline, and for future shooting. It is the easiest and least expensive centerfire, will do fine for his distances. If he reloads once hooked on shooting, he can have you build him a 17 FB. Or have him get a 17hmr and have fun on the closer skippies. I am afraid this might be a Once in a lifetime thing, and if not he can always sell and get a longer range setup.

Allen
Old 03-10-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan from Pa. View Post
Sgtg,
I new I should have addressed this group as purchase mentors. Thanks for all the suggestions, not to dismiss all the non 17 suggestions, but that is what he's interested in.
The 223 is by far the most economical choice, but what fun would that be?
The 204, I'm about a big a fan as there can be, many more rifle choices and ammo choices.

Back to 17's, the Fireball seems like the best choice to me, more range than the 17 Hornet but not as quick to heat up as the 17 Remington.

The 17 Fireball.

1. Which manufacture chambered rifles for this cartridge? I thought Cooper would have, but it looks like they stuck with the 17 Mach lV.

2. Would a Fireball specifically feed in a Sako action designed for the 222/223 family, I know 20 Vartarg is a big issue in certain actions? I know there's a number of guys who chambered short action Sako's for the Mach lV?

I know, never did like the easy way

Stan
Stan, Cooper did produce a 17 Fireball, I've got a Montana Varminteer sitting in my safe,

Last edited by Herb in Pa; 03-10-2017 at 11:29 PM.