Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-08-2018, 06:59 PM

Default Curious about load data questions

Just wondering why I see so many questions, from post's, asking for load data on this cartridge or that cartridge more these days.
Does not anyone have reloading manuals ? There are so many out there now days, from almost every maker of the bullets we use, plus one's from the powder producers. So I guess I wonder why not obtain one or two, read and start loading with their suggestions ?
Anyone have thoughts on this ? Maybe I am just thinking too many are to lazy to work up a load and just want someone to tell them what to use. Right or Wrong ? Bill K
Old 10-08-2018, 07:46 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Just wondering why I see so many questions, from post's, asking for load data on this cartridge or that cartridge more these days.
Does not anyone have reloading manuals ? There are so many out there now days, from almost every maker of the bullets we use, plus one's from the powder producers. So I guess I wonder why not obtain one or two, read and start loading with their suggestions ?
Anyone have thoughts on this ? Maybe I am just thinking too many are to lazy to work up a load and just want someone to tell them what to use. Right or Wrong ? Bill K
You are right.

In a lot of cases it simply seems like the person asking the question is new to reloading, does not own a reloading manual, and is happy with what someone else suggests without realizing that somone's "perfectly safe load" might not be so safe in their rifle.

In my internet experience I've made it a practice to never give out specific loads, etc. as I have no way of knowing what the next guy might do with them. I will recommend certain powders, bullets, etc. that have worked for me for different cartridges, but nothing more specific than that.

I guess all of us older guys learned to reload from a manual without the benefit of the internet to do the leg work for us. I for one am glad that I learned that way.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 10-08-2018, 09:19 PM

I have at least one or more manuals from each bullet and powder manufacture as well as tool makers manuals some are near as old as me, it really helps when you have some old or outlandish wild cat to figure out where to start, if you READ you can extrapolate a lot of knowledge and come up with a safe and reasonable starting point, Or just ask and hopefully one of us will dumb up and help
Old 10-08-2018, 10:16 PM

I also agree. Laziness must be a big factor, especially if it is a pretty standard caliber and powder or bullet. If someone is new to a caliber or a maybe even if a wildcat cartridge, the first step should be to research loading manuals or websites to learn as much as you can, then ask on the board if you need something more. You need to do the load development work to get the best possible results.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:04 PM

Default Load Data

I s'pose to some extent laziness may be a factor, but even now I use the search feature on Saubier to attempt to glean info that might save me some bullets, time, powder, and putzing with something that may or may not work. The search feature and helpful nature of our members helped me a ton with .17AH, .20/222, .17 Fireball and others over time.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:54 PM

I am glad I am not the only one that thought that way.

I will ask about what powders and bullets guys have had luck with when I start on a new project.

There are a lot of keyboard snipers and sharp shooters. I see and have seen first hand those that want instant success. Reality TV has had a big influence on this. I have seen quit a bunch of "younger" people spend a fair chunk of change on things, then go to use them and they find out it may be tougher than they thought. Then they give up.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:34 AM

Depends on who's asking and what they are asking.

I'm sure experienced reloaders have been "guilty" of asking others for specific experience with a cartridge in which they haven't loaded for.

After all, it's nice to narrow down to specific powders recommended, etc.

I think some are lazy and some are just trying to gain info from others who have specific experience.

I don't see a negative in any of it. As long as those who are asking have a brain in their head.

I'm 35 years old, been reloading since I was 15, and can't tell you how many reloading manuals I have..........but, it's more than 12

I also know that I've asked for load data or "recommended powders" for example for .17 Remington.............a round in which I never had experience with until 2 years ago.

And, I know that I've reloaded more than just a "few" rounds.

Just because somebody asks for info on a cartridge doesn't mean they are clueless.

Also, there are several loads that are known to be accurate in pretty much all rifles.

223 Rem with 25.0-26.0gr H335 and any 50 gr bullet.

270 Win with 55.0 gr IMR 4350 and any 130 gr bullet.

The list goes on...............
Old 10-09-2018, 01:50 AM

One other tip for you youngsters: Never sell off your older manuals. I have some obsolete powders (H450 and a few others I have) and have no other load data to use. You never know when the old guy down the street might will you his supply and you're going to wish you had the information.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:37 AM

I have a number of different loading manuals of varying vintage and publishers. I also use online loading manuals put out by bullet and powder manufacturers. It is surprising how much variation you can run into from the different sources. Sometimes it is nice to see what others are using for loads. I've just never found the need for extreme speed that would exceed max book loads.

I did notice the absence of load data when I started loading the 20VT which is consistent with most of the wildcat calibers. With that said, you still need to use good judgement on load development.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:16 AM

I have a lot of vintage manuals inherited from grandfather dating back to the 50's-70s and one more modern nosler manual about 15 years old. I always check my manuals first, but there are a lot of new powders that aren't in any of my manuals. I can see asking for suggestions for the newer stuff. But you are running a big risk that who ever replies didn't mess up a keystroke or have auto correct miss inform you of the real number.. the consequence could be grave. While advising caution I wouldn't jump down the throat of someone asking for help. Let's not shoot our wounded we need like minded sportsmen to keep this sport going after we are gone.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10

Last edited by 260Ackley; 10-09-2018 at 03:18 AM.