Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-24-2019, 02:33 PM

Yes I did and it does work well, but I found 1680 was slightly better overall. But in fairness I will make some runs with BLK again along with the 2200 before I really settle on a given load. BIll K
Old 06-24-2019, 02:48 PM
Supporting Member

How about data 2200, gas anyone tried it?
Old 06-24-2019, 05:54 PM

I've used a bunch of it, but don't have a 17Hornet. I use it mostly in 223 Rem with 40gr VMAX. Also tried it in the 22 Hornet with 45 SPT and 50 Blitz, looking for a reduced load. A full case (up to the neck) was 12.5gr and chrono just under 2100fps, about like a good 22WMR. Much quieter than a full house Hornet, and had a duller report. Accuracy was decent, around 0.5MOA, but POI was about 1-1.5 inches lower than normal, which you might expect from the lower velocity.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
How about data 2200, gas anyone tried it?
I have an unopened 8lb jug on the floor waiting to be tested. If the Dr. says I need a disc trimmed, I my finally have the time to test it!
Old 06-26-2019, 07:12 PM
Supporting Member

I hope your recovery is well! I sure had a heck of a time earlier this year with my knees. Recovery was longer than expected and I couldn’t do much but sit upstairs in recliner with both legs elevated. (Note to self never put a reloading room down stairs) I wouldn’t have been able to do much anyhow but I did get a BUNCH of brass sorted while sitting there. Normally don that after tumbling but I had to do something lol.

I also have an unopened 8lb jug (or is it two) plus another one about 1/2 gone from shooting it in a 221-Imp with radius shoulders (good powder for that and the 32 gr vmax!)

Good luck and after I’m done with this last batch of pistol brass I’ll probably look into it some more...
Old 06-26-2019, 07:48 PM

Holy moly, 16lbs is 112,000 grains and at 12.5gr per round, that's a lot of shooting in a 17 Hornet. Just one more reason to love these little pee shooters!
Old 06-27-2019, 04:11 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
I hope your recovery is well! I sure had a heck of a time earlier this year with my knees. Recovery was longer than expected and I couldn’t do much but sit upstairs in recliner with both legs elevated. (Note to self never put a reloading room down stairs) I wouldn’t have been able to do much anyhow but I did get a BUNCH of brass sorted while sitting there. Normally don that after tumbling but I had to do something lol.

I also have an unopened 8lb jug (or is it two) plus another one about 1/2 gone from shooting it in a 221-Imp with radius shoulders (good powder for that and the 32 gr vmax!)

Good luck and after I’m done with this last batch of pistol brass I’ll probably look into it some more...
Thanks! I am going to see the back butcher on Monday to see what the MRI says. For disc trimming they want you walking, and what better way than 100yds out and 100yds back. I hope at age 57 recovery can be a little quicker. I have been dealing with sciatic nerve pain going down both legs for over 2 years. Hopefully after the first couple of weeks I can get some walking in at the range.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:01 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
Holy moly, 16lbs is 112,000 grains and at 12.5gr per round, that's a lot of shooting in a 17 Hornet. Just one more reason to love these little pee shooters!
Well... they say it’s better have and not need than to need and not have lol. I haven’t shot the 20-221 in a long time, took the barrel off. Maybe it’s time I get another action and get to shooting lol
Old 06-27-2019, 05:30 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
Thanks! I am going to see the back butcher on Monday to see what the MRI says. For disc trimming they want you walking, and what better way than 100yds out and 100yds back. I hope at age 57 recovery can be a little quicker. I have been dealing with sciatic nerve pain going down both legs for over 2 years. Hopefully after the first couple of weeks I can get some walking in at the range.
When I turned 40, I was crippled up and not sure how I would ever feed the 5 kids we had. Found a job for most of the employees and once the last one was gone I found a job that got me off the concrete and bending over and supported our family of 6. I had my ups and downs through the years... about the time I was feeling really good I’d do something to aggravate my lower back and or neck. Steroid injections and RF burning my nerves to block the pain signals. Then last thanksgiving I got to the point where I couldn’t go anymore. This time after a couple steroid injections in both knees and know relief Nebraska orthopedic wanted to inject something that I guess you only get like when you are in your 80s. I’m 59 and insurance shot that down (too young) and another 3 weeks wasted. Finally in February another surgeon when in and cleaned up my knees, removed all the arthritis he could around and under the knee cap plus he cleaned up my meniscus because the jagged arthritis had shredded it up some. This is the first week the swelling went away and didn’t come back that I could see. It’s some better but sitting for 30 minutes they get stiff and I have to slowly get up and walk easy for a bit until the stiffness and pain decreased enough to walk. Funny how everyone walks so darn fast! I can’t keep up and it’s not any good for the ego when an old lady passes you on the sidewalk. But now I can kneel down and get up off the floor without any help or assistance although it’s a struggle. From my feet up to my neck is pain 24/7 and so now it’s mostly pain management. Certain things you learn to not do, some you learn to do them another way and/or slower but nothing is the same as it use to be. After a week of work it takes most of the weekend to recover for the next week. I did change AL of my reloading equipment to make it ergonomically correct for me and have better lighting. I still like to crank em out even if I can buy them for nearly the same cost (like 9mm). I guess I get around pretty good when you figure that the orthopedic surgeon told me all my joints have advanced arthritis some like my left knee are what they would normally see in a worn out 80 year old knee... I guess when I look at it that way I get around pretty good. A med-lift recliner and an electric bed wasn’t in my plans to buy but the bed has helped.

Wishing you the best... from the bottom of my heart... and especially so you don’t end up like me... it sucks when there not much left for them to do for ya.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:10 AM

Thumbs up

GLWenzel,

I had no idea you were hurting. I have to wish you well, we share a lot when it comes to bone and joint stiffness.

Hutch