Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-06-2009, 11:41 PM

Default Range

Back in 1985 while attending Colorado School of trades there was a gun shop that had an indoor range that you could pay to use.I do not remember it's name.
-- I have had the luxury of working for our national police force and had a world class indoor range maybe 30 yards from my work station .It has 2 - 25 ranges and 2 -100 yard ranges , closed circuit pictures of the targets and automated target changer. I could never blame weather on poor shooting.

Chris
Old 03-06-2009, 11:51 PM

The "new" Sierra facility at Sedalia has a similar set-up, but if I recall correctly, it is just shy of 300 meters, because that was the longest that would fit on the property. There was an article about it in some mag about 10 years ago - Precision Shooting maybe?

About 15 years ago, while getting some new carpet installed, I learned that someone about a mile away had a 25yd range in his basement. The carpet man had carpeted the floor, walls and ceiling to cut down on the noise. Knew the house, but not the owner, unfortunately. Turns out the owner was an avid pistol shooter.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:00 AM

There is a well know gun shop in Bay City Michigan which has a underground shooting range. I believe it's 200 yds long and while I've never shot there, I've heard good things about their set-up and ventilation. Shop's name is "Duncans". Odd thing is it's only a few hundred feet from Saginaw, River. I wonder if they have moisture issues? I also shoot occasionally at a basement range in Midland, MI. It's only 50 feet but is great in the winter months.

BRKHornet
Old 03-07-2009, 04:33 AM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA

We have an indoor pistol range about 80 miles from here, at a gun shop, it is about 15 yds, or so. I love it. I never paid any attention to the ventilation system, but I can say it works. There is also one at the local community college, but haven't visited it yet. I think it is also 15 yds. may 23rd will be my first time.

larry

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office
Old 03-09-2009, 08:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

On the SW side of Denver in one of the suburbs I can't name now. Has a ten place 100yds indoor range and about the same number for pistols and shotguns. I fired a 1100 there just before buying it. THen went back a few other times with the kids when they were little in the early 70's.

It was built with those Twin Tee's concrete building sections and covered over. Believe over top of it was a parking lot but, I'm not positive. Too long ago, and I never went back on top behind the building. They had a nice gunstore in front and upstairs. Range fee's by the hour per person it seems. 30 yrs, things might be completely different now.

They had cable runners for the targets, and NO access down range at all for shooters. The shooting room was self enclosed. a very nice set up, fairly new in '73. Maybe I can find it while I'm up there the 11th with time to kill.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 03-09-2009, 04:27 PM

I spoke with a gent who had built a 100 yard underground, using 16" plastic culvert sections. Much cheaper than concrete and a stray bullet through the side wall would be trapped in the dirt anyway. At 25, 50, and 100 yard intervals, he put in a "T" to the surface, overwhich he built a small roofed shed - like a well cover. He used a high flow bathroom exhaust fan, with a light in each station, to illuminate the target, and promote air flow. The roofs of the "sheds" were hinged to tilt up allowing target access. At the shooting end - In his shop basement- He had his bench, and a boxed in area between the bench and the opening to the tube, that was "padded" with corrugated foam. Between that and the corrugated pipe noise was very very minimul. Sure he had to walk out in the weather to change targets, and a pully system of some sort was on his mind, but he had tried to build as on-the-cheap as possible. I've seen these culvert sections in 20 ft lengths at Menards priced fairly cheap. They always get the wheels turning.

BTW I just got off the phone with the local Building inspector about a different subject, and I tossed the underground range idea at him. He said that for private individules it was no problem as long as one provides a method of removing the dirt at the termintation end, and the local mechanical inspector approves the airflow numbers. For a club or business it gets a bit more hairy because of liabilty laws and enviromental regualtions which differ for private and commercial purposes.

-John
Old 03-09-2009, 04:35 PM

First thing; get yourself an old black powder cartridge rifle like the 1886 Winchester, 1885 Highwall, Remingon Rolling block or perhaps a Sharps buffalo rifle; all will shoot to 1000 yards or so and that way, nobody will know where the bullets are coming from. Just Kidding-

Have thought about going underground myself but then, if doing it twice in a close time frame it would be a poor investment. Sh....gotta stop this.

When they call the roll in the Senate," "the Senators do not know whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty." -- Theodore Roosevelt
Old 03-10-2009, 12:55 AM

I actually looked very seriously into this. I live in Alaska, and in an area where there are no building "codes", so that's not an issue. I have land enough to stretch out a 100 yd range. My intent was 100 yds of shooting range, completely enclosed with a shooting "shack" at one end. My idea was to use 8' culvert. Dig a trench 4' deep, use the dirt from the hole to cover the top of the culvert.

I was "locked and loaded" 'til I checked out the cost of the culvert. $40,000, (three years ago), before delivery.

I still don't have an underground range.

Paul
Old 06-12-2014, 08:35 AM
Supporting Member

Default Underground Room

Thought I would check how many guys have built the underground range by now? I'm just getting finished building my underground safe and hope to connect a tunnel/range to it hopefully in the the next few years I do not plan to go with a tunnel large enough to walk in like I wish but something more like 3'-4'. Would still like to see one so I can see what the minimum ventilation requirements might be.
Thanks,
Stan
Old 06-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim saubier View Post
There is a private shooting tunnel in Reading PA area that I've personally shot in. The house has changed hands since I was there so I do not know who owns it. It was a beautiful set-up. Made from concrete pipe, has a target house at the end of the tunnel, and a loading room with a solid shooting bench. 1st class entirely.
Jim, I believe you are talking about Darrel L's old house he has since moved to Ok. has even a better one now..