Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-26-2013, 10:52 PM

Default .17 Predator Rifle Build

I've been thinking very seriously about having a .17 predator built for me in the near future. what are the first steps in doing so? I've never had a rifle built so I'm kind of out of my comfort zone. If anyone has any suggestions on an action that would be great too, I've always been a remington 700 kind of guy. thanks for any input.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:55 PM
Supporting Member

i'd forego the 17 predator and do 17 FB or 20 VT as a first rifle.

ML
Old 09-26-2013, 11:10 PM

Nothing wrong with a remington 700. Do you already have the action? What are you going to shoot with your rifle? What bullet do you plan on shooting? Predator gun only, or are targets and colony rodents on the list? If its not just a predator gun you'll burn up the barrel pretty quick. If you already have some 30gr bullets then your set. Otherwise they aren't available anymore. Berger stopped making the jackets so even the little custom shops don't make them anymore. IMO the predator is best suited for the 30gr bullets. But if you're set on the 17P then go for it.

The first thing I'd do is pick a barrel and get on the list. Most barrel manufacturers have lengthy waiting lists. Pac-Nor or lilja make great .17 barrels. I'd get a 9 twist.

Are you going to be doing the metal work or are you going to pay someone to do it for you? If you're not going to do it then you should talk to a few gunsmiths. Bob Green or Greg Tannel would be my top 2 choices.

Aaron
Old 09-26-2013, 11:36 PM

Thanks for the quick input...well i actually already have a .17 remington in a cz527 varmint and love it! but I'm really wanting to shoot those 30+ grainers and get the most out of the performance while shooting those bigger bullets. i realize i could do this with my 17 rem with a little less performance is all but I'm a nut when it comes to guns...the more the merrier I'm building this rifle pretty much just for calling coyotes. i do have some woodchuck den 30gr. golds but haven't bought any for awhile and i only have 200 or so left. I'll have to check and restock i guess before getting underway. wish i would have just had a 17p made in the first place instead of buying the 17 rem.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Supporting Member

I was going to build a 17 Pred but went 17-204 instead, it is very easy to form brass for just run a 204 case into a 204 bushing die with the right sized bushings and thats it, and it is just a touch faster than the 17 Pred, not that a coyote would notice.
Yes there is a much better selection of 223 brass to use but the 204 brass isn't to bad and for me less time forming brass the better.

700 or mod 7 action would be fine if you already have a donor rifle or if you need to get a action you may want to look at a custom action, depending on what you pay for a 700 action then if you want it trued you may be closer to a custom price wise. I've done it both ways sometimes you can sell off the take off parts barrel and stock and recoup some of your money from the donor rifle.

Once you know what you want to build you can start collecting parts, and your smith can help you decide what you may need depending on what you want to do with your rifle.
I have used Bob Green for a half dozen rifles and he has always been alot of help in planning the rifle build.

As far as bullets Todd Kindler is still making 30gr Golds I just bough 600 from him not long ago.

I had this built for a coyote calling rifle it is a 17-204 built on a Stiller Predator action (a rem 700 clone) with a Pacnor 9 twist barrel (for the 30 gr bullets) in a Mcmillan Hunter stock with a Jewell trigger and HS detachable magazine this gun weighs around 8 lbs.
Cody from Cody's Custom Guns of West Point UT did the metal work on this one and he has a very good reamer if you wanted a 17-204

Last edited by rich44; 09-27-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:52 PM
Supporting Member

Default just a thought

why not do a 17-204 on the action you have now,you could buy a 'in stock' lilja and have them contour it to your gun and have it in hand in 2 or 3 weeks.then sell your factory barrel to recoup some funds,or if the factory one shoots good then just rechamber it. i have a 17-204 on a 527 and like it a lot. good luck. sorry rich,i was typing at the same time.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:02 AM
Supporting Member

Yep alot to be said for the 17-204 I'm really liking mine
Old 09-27-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntngoat View Post
i'd forego the 17 predator and do 17 FB or 20 VT as a first rifle.

ML
You can't go wrong with this advice.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:37 AM

thats a nice looking rifle Rich! yeah the 17-204 has crossed my mind often but i would like to stick to the predator for the high quality .223 lapua brass thats available and it has the performance i need. i do quite a bit of prep and take great care with my brass so i am used to the whole rigamarole and i dont mind it....too much. sorry im not too into the 17fb or the vartarg, im a speed junkie
Old 09-27-2013, 12:57 AM
Supporting Member

Nothing wrong with speed I have both the Fireball and VarTarg both great cartridges also have the 17-204 and a 20-250 when I feel the need for speed

Tags
.17 predator, custom rifle, rifle build