Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Supporting Member

Default I'm committed-or should be

I guess I'm committed to converting my 3/4" CZ 527 American in .22 Hornet to a .17 Ackley Hornet because I just purchased the dies. I decided to go with a Pac Nor 1-9" match grade SS 3 groove with the CZ 527 contour copied and bead blasted. One last issue-To flute or not to flute? If so, how many flutes, how deep?
Old 12-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Supporting Member

Default Always another Hornet out there..

You're certainly not the first to build/buy a rifle cuz you had a set of dies that needed use

I think I did it just because I had too much brass in a cartridge with no gun to use it in...

Greg
Old 12-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA
Default With mine...

I had it finished at 22" in a #3 contour, balances really nice. The finish is a medium bead blast finish. Love it. If I were going to flute it, I would go no deeper than .125" A wider flute is good looking though, if that were the case, I would go a little deeper with the flute, maybe 75% of the width of the flute....I think.

larry

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office
Old 12-05-2009, 11:08 PM

I (myself and two friends) did what you are going to do...Pac-Nor 9" twist super match, but we had the barrel contour matched to the CZ varmint contour as it comes in the 17 Rem varmint model.....no flutes.....I think the barrel contour decision is a result of how are you going to use it? If it is to be a "walking rifle" a light barrel is the right one.... our bunch always shoots from a rest of some sort or another....so we got and always get the heavy varmint barrels....not that they shoot any better, but you can shoot them better easier.....(they don't wiggle and move around as easy).....Greg Tannel did ours and we had him do the whole nine yards to them...yes, we had a lot of $$$$$ in them, but they all 3 shoot in the 1/8" range...so we are very happy....would do exactly the same thing again....steve
Old 12-06-2009, 12:12 AM
Supporting Member

Mine will be a walking rifle; at best, I'll be shooting off sticks. I can agree with Greg's work-he converted my .22 Hornet Browning Micro Medallion to a .19 Calhoon. It's one of my favorite guns, and is very accurate.

Tags
varmint