Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-08-2014, 02:16 PM

Default 218 Bee

I have a contender in a 218 Bee which I enjoy a lot but I am looking for a good bolt gun in this cartridge. An old local gunsmith in my area told me any Hornet could be rechambered to a Bee with no problem. I checked around and the new Savage 25 in 22 Hornet looked like the one with the strong action and 24 inch barrel. I waited for this gun to be released for over a year and when they came out I called the gunsmith to be sure he would still do this only to find out he has retired. Does anyone know of a gunsmith that could do this project and still finish this in my lifetime??
Old 03-08-2014, 02:38 PM

Default 218 Bee

Not knowing where you live, so can not say if I would know any in your area. But call PacNor in Oregon and see what they say. Bill K
Old 03-08-2014, 03:11 PM
Supporting Member

The hornet is a longer case, you would have to set the barrel back and open up the bolt face.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:45 PM

The Savage 25 is not a good one for the Bee because is is magazine fed only. The magazine is single stack and I doubt it will feed the bee cases reliably. Maybe I am wrong. You could probably get away with a CZ.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:54 PM

Note the Bee's .408" rim.
A CZ 527 is the rifle I'd think about converting. Since it has been made up in 7.62x39, it should work just fine for a Bee.

Another would be a Sako L461 or L579. My buddy's L579 which I rebarreled to .17AckBee works just fine in extraction and feeding - no changes to the bolt at all. He put a delrin single shot follower in I throw in a round, chamber and fire, then pull the bolt back slowly and there lies the spent brass. Do it quickly and it will eject.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:32 PM

Ruger #1 was/is chambered in 218 Bee. Cooper chambers in 218 Mashburn Bee
Old 03-09-2014, 01:40 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletBob3701 View Post
Ruger #1 was/is chambered in 218 Bee. Cooper chambers in 218 Mashburn Bee
Yupper, they are/do............ And I love both of mine......

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 03-09-2014, 03:40 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybrook View Post
I have a contender in a 218 Bee which I enjoy a lot but I am looking for a good bolt gun in this cartridge. An old local gunsmith in my area told me any Hornet could be rechambered to a Bee with no problem. I checked around and the new Savage 25 in 22 Hornet looked like the one with the strong action and 24 inch barrel. I waited for this gun to be released for over a year and when they came out I called the gunsmith to be sure he would still do this only to find out he has retired. Does anyone know of a gunsmith that could do this project and still finish this in my lifetime??
That is an interesting question…. How long you plan on living?

I don’t know anything about the savage 25 but might try Kevin weaver (I haven’t talked to him in a couple years) but he is a great guy and will give you a honest answer.

I opened up a CZ 527 223 bolt for the 218 bee rim, memory serves me right its hard material! It’s the only time I ever have a reason to use the JC SS follower normally just feed right off the top of the mag but the bee case didn’t want to play.

Some Savages have the replaceable bolt head so that would be a good option but like Ray said have to set the barrel back.

I shoot the 218 Bee in a contender as well…. But I enjoy the #1 the best, running the 40 gr V-max at like 222 or 223 velocity using lilgun… outstanding and great fun!

Thinking this could turn into a savage threesome… the 20 on an imp 218 case is so much fun with the 32!! And then might just as well do the 17 version…
Old 03-13-2014, 01:35 PM

Default Howas

I have used Howa actions for a few "project" rifles. The bolts are easy to open up for a larger case. I did a few in 6MM PPC from 223s and used 243 extractors from Legacy or Numbrich [sp] with good feeding etc. Prices are somewhat realistic. Just my .02%
Aloha, Mark
Old 03-13-2014, 02:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

if you want a repeater you would need to find a sako 78, sako 46, for a single shooter the ruger #1 , kimber of Oregon 82, Winchester model 43 (weak action) or a remington 700 with a mile hight single shot follower. I think if you do the 25 savage it too will have to be a single shot,

just about all the above mentioned are collectables except the 25 and Remington.