Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 08-28-2016, 11:41 PM

Formed up another dozen pieces of brass from native 22TCM pulled down cartridges today. The 22TCM ammo is cheap enough to just buy it and pull the bullets for the brass. Ordered up some more of the 12.7 gr solids from Reeds, it is hard to imagine that any other bullet could out shoot this one, even if it is a solid. I do have to take care to not load to an extreme, sorry, can't use that word, guess I mean not load too hot with the solids, but if I use 10.5 gr of 8208 the rifle behaves very well with nothing sticking or hard to open. This little cartridge seems to be just in the right spot for a 14 that will feed from the magazine and use brass that is tough enough to do whatever you want with it. Next week I may have to go try to shoot a Coyote with it and see how it does, I am thinking it is about a 150 yard gun, can't expect a 12gr bullet to do much past that I think. Larry
Old 09-02-2016, 09:29 PM

Default 14 TCM Project

Larry,

Thanks so much for all the work and relaying the info here! This is a project that has been "crying" to be done since the TCM first came out!

Your description of the rifle was most interesting to me....and I would love to hear how it holds up in use for you in the future. I have built a few CZs with this cartridge (not 14 Cal, tho), but your rifle would be the solution to feeding issues in a repeater rifle.

Thanks again for sharing.

Bill
Old 09-02-2016, 11:01 PM

I can say I have never had a wildcat that is near the fun, the round seems perfect, the size fit and looks are all right, the function is as good or better than most factory offerings, it just all comes together. I have to give a lot of credit to Reeds bullets, they are beautifully made and shoot amazingly well, as good as lead core and they are solids which I have had very poor luck with in the past. This is the factory magazine loaded, it is a double stack with center feed, the hi cap pistol magazine (15 rounds I think) also fits the rifle. I am going to the range again x tomorrow so will post some more pictures I corrected out the parallax the scope had at 100 yards, but there is not really much else to work on, it just all functions very well. If anyone wants to build one let me know, I have all the tooling that I used to make this one. Larry

Last edited by trotterlg; 09-02-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:58 PM

Default Coyote

Larry,

Have you managed to set your crosshair for this rifle on a coyote or a javalina?

I'm interested in how the 12.7gr performed on game.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:24 PM
Board Sponsor

The 12.7g Solids punch right through, depending on impact velocity there is a cavitation wound, but it is rather small. The 12.7g Solids do best when used as head shots, they will drop a hog from my .14 Hornet. Testing was done on a trapped hog.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 07-23-2017, 06:49 PM
Supporting Member

Default Reed Bullets

Thanks for the info. Ron. I have tried about all the bullets you make and have had great luck with them. I dont think you can get much better. Ill pm you here after payday to get some more of the 10s and 12s. I hope you continue to make them for a long time to come. Thanks again.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:16 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1911 View Post
The 12.7g Solids punch right through, depending on impact velocity there is a cavitation wound, but it is rather small. The 12.7g Solids do best when used as head shots, they will drop a hog from my .14 Hornet. Testing was done on a trapped hog.

Ron,

Do you have any pictures of the damage you could post?

I haven't much experience with tunneling using solids, unless you wish to call an armadillo split open an example of tunneling.

Last edited by 17tbs; 07-25-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:33 AM
Board Sponsor

No I don't have any terminal effect pics of the solids. While they can make a kill I would limit those shots to head shots.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 07-26-2017, 09:59 PM

At roughly 450 foot pounds, at about 4000fps, it should be pretty eventful.